The Story of Hollywood 1990 or 1991 (documentary)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

The Story of Hollywood 1990 or 1991 (documentary)

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

anyone recall this documentary that aired on some PBS stations and others in the early 90s? It was narrated by Jamie Lee Curtis but it does not show up in her IMDb. In one of Mike's recent Podcast he and a MOMA official talked about restoring some Edison Kinetophones digitally. The first episode of The Story of Hollywood had one of these from 1913 and it was excellent for that time period. It consisted of a one camera angle deal of people talking on a stage (as if filming a Broadway stage drama). I specifically taped the first episode for the Kinetophone part, the tape was in my VCR when it was stolen. I haven't seen this series since.

sepiatone

Re: The Story of Hollywood 1990 or 1991 (documentary)

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 11:24 am

sepiatone wrote: In one of Mike's recent Podcast he and a MOMA official talked about restoring some Edison Kinetophones digitally. The first episode of The Story of Hollywood had one of these from 1913 and it was excellent for that time period.

My bad, it was Ben Model , Mike Gebert was talking with. I relistened to the episode, one of the best.

Lamar

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 7:05 am

There was a 10 part "The Story of Hollywood" on TNT in 1988. It was one of the first specials broadcast on the channel. From a press release- "Other original TNT fare being promised: "The Story of Hollywood," a 10-hour BBC-produced mini-series on Hollywood's history, hosted by Burt Reynolds." Premiered November 12, 1988. Jamie Lee Curtis appeared on it.
People magazine panned it- https://people.com/archive/picks-and-pans-review-the-story-of-hollywood-vol-30-no-19/ According to this- http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b7a2e7403 it was a co-production of the BBC and TNT.

sepiatone

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Lamar, that possibly is it. I never got to finish because of the theft and the series never rebroadcast. People Magazine, the garbage that it is, can go jump in the lake. The series was valuable at the time because of some of the clips.

Return to Talking About Silents