Looking for help on a silent film topic - again

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Keaton

Looking for help on a silent film topic - again

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Hey fellow silent filmfans!

I think some of you may remember me asking a simmilar question a year ago (the topic was addiction), and you guys helped me tremendously. Thank you again! So no wonder Im asking again... ;) Im doing another research, this time its about medicine in general and for another project just the topic of suicide. Of course in silent movies.

I didnt start my own research jet, but a few come to my mind (for suicide Stella Maris, The Pace That Kills! or The Drake Case) and for medicine in general stuff like the addiction ones from my fist research or Körkarlen for TBC.

In case of suicide films everything is of inerest, actuall suicides, impact of suicides or only the attempt/plan to do so.

For the medical topic I have a little more specifc instuctions, the Films should have medicne as a major theme, a protagonist should be a physician (or nurse ect), the plot or important parts play in hospitals and of course the suffering of an illness in general. ect. Of course one of those points woud be enough to include te Film. But also scenes of birh or aborton (then for gynecology) or surgery (even its effect....like in The Penaly where Chaney gets crippled by a surgeon) are welcomed. To sum it up, here medicine/illness in any way should be a more or less improtant part for the plot, protagonist or the setting.

And again, please ignore my bad english if its possible ;)

Thank you all in advance!

PS: The ones about medicine in general will be my first one in english, so this time you guys can even see the results of your help. I will post here if I know where we publish, if thats ok with the board rules (but im not getting any mony for that, so I dont know if its considered advertising).

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Looking for help on a silent film topic - again

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Does Mae Marsh's suicide scene in BIRTH OF A NATION count?
Lon Chaney's arms being amputated in THE UNKNOWN (1927).
THE GREAT WHITE TRAIL (1917)
THE RED KIMONA (1925)
BACK PAY (1922)
THE TEMPLE OF MOLOCH (1914)
THE STORY OF JOHN M'NEIL (1911)

And of course, there will be plenty of war movies with hospital scenes but little or no medical content...

Will think of some others...

'Signs of Life: Medicine and Cinema', edited by Graeme Harper and Andrew Moor might be of use, although the accent is on modern film. I can have a run through of my copy (a lucky charity shop find) if you like...
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boblipton

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm

The always-accurate Internet Movie DataBase offers a sorting by keywords. I chose the keyword "suicide", selected for movies and by order of release and came up with this page:

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?key ... ail&page=1

The original list has well over 7000 titles listed from Melies' Dreyfus Affair (1899) to some that have not been released as yet. That should give you a goodly number to sort through.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Keaton

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 am

As expected, you guys are great, thank you! Of course I will go through the imdb, Afi und other databases, but contributions from you guys often beats those lists, because you actually saw what you recommend and make way less errors then these databases. I can tell you in my first research at least 20 Films from those lists didnt even have anything to do with addiction despite beeing listed in those genre. Thats terribly frustrating if you have to buy and watch all those false entrys. But thanks for that hint!

Regards!

Keaton

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 5:10 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Does Mae Marsh's suicide scene in BIRTH OF A NATION count?
Lon Chaney's arms being amputated in THE UNKNOWN (1927).
THE GREAT WHITE TRAIL (1917)
THE RED KIMONA (1925)
BACK PAY (1922)
THE TEMPLE OF MOLOCH (1914)
THE STORY OF JOHN M'NEIL (1911)

And of course, there will be plenty of war movies with hospital scenes but little or no medical content...

Will think of some others...

'Signs of Life: Medicine and Cinema', edited by Graeme Harper and Andrew Moor might be of use, although the accent is on modern film. I can have a run through of my copy (a lucky charity shop find) if you like...

Thanks for the book recomendation as well! If you find the time for a quick look, i certanly wont be protesting ;) And yeah, I think the Marsh scene counts, totally forgot about that one, but I have to rewatch it to make sure.

Dave Pitts

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 am

I recently watched an obscure Lon Chaney feature from 1916, If My Country Should Call, of which 3 reels exist (I think it was a 5-reel film.) Chaney plays a doctor who has come up with a drug that depresses the heartbeat, and a society woman he knows steals a vial of the drug so she can dose her son and keep him out of the military. (Yes, very bizarre plot, one of those odd, distorted story lines that are a part of early features.) Towards the end of the film, the other characters find out what she's done, and she attempts to kill herself by draining off the remainder of the vial. A lame and lazy ending is concocted for the story, which I will not reveal, although it's spelled out in imdb.

Mbakkel2

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 11:06 am

"Har jeg Ret til at tage mit Eget Liv?" (English translation: "Do I have the right to take my own life?") (1920, Denmark). Director: Holger-Madsen.

A young secretary is tempted by easy money. He is involved in a shady financial transaction that goes very badly. When the man is threatened with revelation and disgrace, he commits suicide. He wakes up and discovers that everything was just a dream. The director himself plays the wise professor who repeatedly warns against the gruesome consequences of suicide. The role figure is explicitly referred to as a theosophist.

Big Silent Fan

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 am

Keaton wrote:
Im doing another research, this time its about medicine in general and for another project just the topic of suicide. Of course in silent movies.

"Toll of the Sea," where the early 'Madame Butterfly' story ends in suicide.

So does Fritz Lang's "Kara Kiri" (1919), which is also based on the 'Madame Butterfly' story.

greta de groat

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Mutter Krausens Fahrt ins Glück.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Rodney

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:
Keaton wrote:
Im doing another research, this time its about medicine in general and for another project just the topic of suicide. Of course in silent movies.

"Toll of the Sea," where the early 'Madame Butterfly' story ends in suicide.

So does Fritz Lang's "Kara Kiri" (1919), which is also based on the 'Madame Butterfly' story.

Mary Pickford made a version of Madame Butterfly too, didn't she?

The Japanese come in for a lot of suicide in silent films, actually. Sometimes to avoid miscegenation, but mostly because it was a bizarre and fascinating thing that people associated with Japanese culture. Fritz Lang's “Spies” and at least one Sessue Hayakawa film have suicides.

The strike in Strike by Eisenstein is set in motion by a worker who commits suicide after being accused of stealing a micrometer.

There was one shown at Cinevent some time ago where a young pregnant girl is hounded to kill herdelf by her unforgiving church... but the problem with suicide films is you need to put a big “Spoiler Alert” warning at the top of the entire thread!

A surprising number of short comedies involve someone’s (unsuccessful) attempts to kill himself, notably Keaton's Hard Luck and Lloyd's Never Weaken.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

greta de groat

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am

Rodney wrote:
A surprising number of short comedies involve someone’s (unsuccessful) attempts to kill himself, notably Keaton's Hard Luck and Lloyd's Never Weaken.

Very common, it's also in Her Bridal Nightmare. Isn't it in one of the Drew films as well?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Scoundrel

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 9:55 am

BURLESQUE SUICIDE (1902)

Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

boblipton

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 9:59 am

Linder ‘s Le Pendu (1906).

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

silentfilm

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 11:16 am

Harold Lloyd in Haunted Spooks (1920)

Rodney

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 11:36 am

greta de groat wrote:
Rodney wrote:

Very common, it's also in Her Bridal Nightmare. Isn't it in one of the Drew films as well?

greta

That's right! Miss Stickey-Moufie-Kiss (1915), as I recall.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Agnes

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 11:42 am

Harold Lloyd in 1919" Ring up the Curtain".

Not only does Harold very uncharacteristically not get the girl in the end, but his character is so distraught that he turns on the gas and sticks his head in the oven. The audience is left to wonder whether or not his character survives. He not only attempts suicide in this one(& attempts in silent films weren't as infrequent as they should be), but in this film he possibly goes through with it. The last scene leaves him breathing gas alone and the film stops. We don't know if he lives or dies ( but given the circumstances, it doesn't look good as the music fades).

Very uncharacteristic Lloyd.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 pm

A film poster book I sold today had one for a Biograph film with the following foreign titles;

IL GENIE DE MALE
LE GENIE DU MAL
DER GEIST DES BOSEN

The poster shows a hospital ward with a sheet being pulled over one girl victim. I couldn't see a date, although a possible English title is THE SPIRIT OF EVIL (1922).

Smari1989

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 am

The one-reel CRUEL CRUEL LOVE (1914), maybe? A Keystone and (very) early Chaplin.
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

Keaton

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:09 am

Hey, wow, a week not online and u guys really dont dissapoint. Going to try and find the films you mentioned! Thanks for the link to the Edison Film, saves me some searching :)

Of course im grateful as always! Ifsomeone stumbles over more Films that fit dont hesitate to post (or PM me), I guess till the first version of the paper i finished it will take a few month, so dont think your suggestions could be to late.

Best wishes,

Keaton

Keaton

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 am

Rodney wrote:... and at least one Sessue Hayakawa film have suicides.

There was one shown at Cinevent some time ago where a young pregnant girl is hounded to kill herdelf by her unforgiving church... but the problem with suicide films is you need to put a big “Spoiler Alert” warning at the top of the entire thread!

Thanks! Can you recall the names of the movies by any means? Especially the last one would be extremly interesting.

Return to Talking About Silents