SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

elalamo

SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 am

Does anyone know if this one survives in any form? Kevin B. vaguely remembers that there's a 16mm reversal somewhere but FIAF doesn't list it.

It stars Bebe Daniels and William Powell and utilizes stock footage from the lost film BEAU SABREUR and possibly BEAU GESTE. It might have been filmed on the BEAU GESTE location, too, but we'll find that out when we see it.

Anybody?

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 1:28 pm

:? Sadly this film also with Richard Arlen, is not listed among the surviving Paramount Silents as far as I know? I sure wish that it were. If it exists, that is great news! Precious few of Bebe's Paramount features have been accounted for.

Beba Daniels, SHE'S A SHEIK! (And How!)

Bebe and Richard Arlen Vintage Two Color-Technicolor Lobby-Card

Rodney

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 pm

As Gagman's post reminds us, even if the film doesn't survive we could probably tell if it used BEAU GESTE sets if we can find production stills. Nothing in those two pictures would suggest it, by the way. Of course, stock footage would be unlikely to make it into either production stills or publicity stills, so that question wouldn't be answered.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

elalamo

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Rodney wrote:As Gagman's post reminds us, even if the film doesn't survive we could probably tell if it used BEAU GESTE sets if we can find production stills. Nothing in those two pictures would suggest it, by the way. Of course, stock footage would be unlikely to make it into either production stills or publicity stills, so that question wouldn't be answered.

No, as you say, stock footage wouldn't make it into stills (probably). Of course, if they actually went back out to the Imperial Dunes to shoot new footage at Fort Zinderneuf, that might show up in stills.

I hope we can find this one, especially to see a little more footage from BEAU SABREUR, as we do in THE ARABIAN SHRIEKS.

Jim Roots

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::? Sadly this film also with Richard Arlen, is not listed among the surviving Paramount Silents as far as I know? I sure wish that it were. If it exists, that is great news! Precious few of Bebe's Paramount features have been accounted for.

Beba Daniels, SHE'S A SHEIK! (And How!)

Bebe and Richard Arlen Vintage Two Color-Technicolor Lobby-Card

She can rock my casbah anytime.

Jim

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 6:13 pm

:roll: Incidentally, SHE'S A SHEIK had Technicolor scenes. Does anyone know where they were in the film? I assume not, since no one has seen the movie, but maybe there are productions notes or something?

elalamo

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::roll: Incidentally, SHE'S A SHEIK had Technicolor scenes. Does anyone know where they were in the film? I assume not, since no one has seen the movie, but maybe there are productions notes or something?

I'm going to go through the files on the film in the Paramount papers as soon as I come to the end of my current job (which is, serendipitiously (sp?), the day that Cinecon begins). Maybe there'll be something specific about any color scenes as well as the stock footage used.

And I'm not giving up hope that a print exists somewhere.

elalamo

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::roll: Incidentally, SHE'S A SHEIK had Technicolor scenes. Does anyone know where they were in the film? I assume not, since no one has seen the movie, but maybe there are productions notes or something?

By the way, what's your source on this film having a Technicolor sequence? I don't have anything in my records that suggests this is so and it doesn't say so on the AFI site or IMDb. Could you point me toward the answer? Thanks a million.

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 7:18 pm

elalamo,

:o I don't have the link handy anymore, but it was listed among the films released during the 1920's that had Technicolor footage. There was a great big list of features and shorts and SHES A SHEIK was on it. Someone posted the link a little over a year ago on the TCM forums. I was surprised too. It might be in the TCM Movie Data Base though as well?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elalamo

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:elalamo,

:o I don't have the link handy anymore, but it was listed among the films released during the 1920's that had Technicolor footage. There was a great big list of features and shorts and SHES A SHEIK was on it. Someone posted the link a little over a year ago on the TCM forums. I was surprised too. It might be in the TCM Movie Data Base though as well?

The TCM database lists it as black and white. Oh well, when I go through the production files we'll know something definite.

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

:shock: Woo, hoo! My mistake, SHE'S A SHEIK apparently does exist! It is listed in the collection of George Eastman House prints. I am still looking for the Technicolor link.

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/s.php

In addition, Wow! TIN GODS Is also listed! Check it out! :wink:

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/t.php
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy Lorraine

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::shock: Woo, hoo! My mistake, SHE'S A SHEIK apparently does exist! It is listed in the collection of George Eastman House prints. I am still looking for the Technicolor link.

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/s.php

In addition, Wow! TIN GODS Is also listed! Check it out! :wink:

http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/t.php

Ah, if only! But that's the listing of film stills, not film prints.

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Nancy,

Blast, I have been sending the info all over the place! Didn't read what it actually said on the page only the lists. :oops: Where are the links to the lists of films? Can't find them? :?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Aherne

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Could this be the list you're talking about? A couple of corrections right off the bat:

-Everywhere with Prizma (1919), Hagopian the Rug Maker (1920) and The Lady of Victories (1928) are short subjects, not features.

-MGM did not release a feature in 1929 called "Show World", which could be an alternate title.

-Paramount did release a feature called Let It Rain, but in 1927, not 1930. They never released a feature called "City by the Sea".

-Harold
Last edited by Harold Aherne on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy Lorraine

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:44 pm

elalamo wrote:
The TCM database lists it as black and white. Oh well, when I go through the production files we'll know something definite.

There's no mention of a Technicolor sequence in the New York Times review of the film. There is one reference to color, but it sounds more likely a tinting scheme (unless he's just being poetic in his description):

"The most ingenious idea in this desert burlesque is that of using the midnight blue of a Sahara sky as a screen..." [NYT, Nov. 21, 1927]

Gagman 66

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Harold,

I've seen that list too before, but SHE'S A SHEIK doesn't seem to be on it. No there is still another list someplace else I am pretty sure. Again claims of Technicolor in THE BIG PARADE? Kevin Brownlow said there were traces of a Stencil color process on the negatives found at Eastman House in 1997, but no technicolor footage.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gagman 66

PostFri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 am

A second original Technicolor Photo Lobby-Card for SHE'S A SHEIK. This certainly does not appear to be painted, and it hasn't been colorized either. So Kevin Brownlow mentioned a 16 millimeter print someplace?

Last edited by Gagman 66 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Aherne

PostFri Aug 21, 2009 2:00 pm

It was standard practice to add tints to B&W photos for lobby cards. From the early 20s on, a large majority of lobby cards have images coloured like that--but it does not, by the remotest stretch, mean that the original film had colour sequences.

In Silent Players, Anthony Slide mentions that She's a Sheik was screened in London in November 1970 and his comments imply that he's seen it. There was no mention of gauge or where this print resides today.

-Harold

Gagman 66

PostFri Aug 21, 2009 3:15 pm

Harold,

:roll: Sure I have seen hundreds of Colored lobby-cards from the 20's, but definitely not very many that look like these two do.

:? So 1970 is the most recent that anyone has seen SHE'S A SHEIK? I wonder if that was when Kevin Brownlow might have seen it too? Although, there are several sources on the net from people who appear to have seen the movie more recently? What were Anthony Slides comments about the film? Can you post them?

A friend of mine talked to a guy that had seen TIN GODS back in the 60's. As late as 1978 or even 1983 the print He saw was still in the film Archive at Yale University. After that it was probably lost to nitrate decomposition? Another tragic fate for a film that might have been saved. Do you know anything more about this? In any event, the print is no longer there. :(

Jack Theakston

PostSat Aug 22, 2009 12:34 am

Again claims of Technicolor in THE BIG PARADE? Kevin Brownlow said there were traces of a Stencil color process on the negatives found at Eastman House in 1997, but no technicolor footage.

The red cross on the ambulance half way through the picture was I *think*Handschiegl Process colored (although as I recall it was in Technicolor's records, so it may have been they who did the stencil color). Warner's new restoration was overseen by Dick May and he and his crew did nothing less of a superlative job, including the hand-colored segment and beautiful tints.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Gagman 66

PostSat Aug 22, 2009 1:35 am

Jack,

:cry: Wow! You just have to torture me that you have seen the restored THE BIG PARADE, not once mind you, but twice! Now don't you! When almost nobody else has. And when was that five years ago already? It's wonderful that it looks so great, and the restoration is so extensive and breath-taking, but when the devil will it see the light a day? I mean one nasty fire in the wrong place and it could be lost again, unless they have several prints stored in more than one location. and in other formats? Do they? While the output from Warner Archive this year has admittedly been impressive, I would definitely trade everything that has been released so far for the restored THE BIG PARADE.

The rate Warner's is going, looks to me that they may only have the really BIG MGM, and Warner Brothers Silents left to go by the end of the year? We could see CAPTAIN SALVATION, THE SHOW, MR. WU, NOAH'S ARK, WHERE EAST IS EAST, and TIDE OF THE EMPIRE in the next few months. Or by December. Would be wonderful. Who would have thought that a year ago at this time? Any chance of a true DVD release for NOAH'S ARK? Maybe paired up with a re-mastered DON JUAN?

That would pretty much leave just the major MGM Silents. None of which are likely to be Archive releases. Well maybe THE TORRENT? I'm not counting WEARY RIVER as that is mostly a talkie. I assume they would hold off on TELL IT TO THE MARINES, THE BLACKBIRD, and maybe THE MOCKERY for the Chaney set? If that is still going to happen? THE WHITE SISTER is supposed to be Public Domain, but I still think that they will release that eventually too. Any other versions floating around are likely to disappear.

Appears to me like Warner's will need to start scoring some new Silents pretty darn soon. So maybe we will see THE SEA BEAST, TWELVE MILES OUT, HER WILD OAT, ANNIE LAURIE, FORBIDDEN HOURS, or THE COSSACKS sooner than expected after-all? Wish I had a short-list of films being considered for new scores?

Jack Theakston

PostSun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 am

Keep looking for screenings in your area. The print is getting around. I'm pretty sure BIG PARADE will end up being a WB Archive release. The DVD market is dead and pretty much every studio is winding down on their catalog titles.
J. Theakston

Gagman 66

PostSun Aug 23, 2009 12:37 am

Jack,

I'm not following you here. So are you saying that we will probably never see the restored version on DVD? What is the point of putting it out on a single-layer DVD-R? That would be hugely disappointing. :cry: I don't think they are going to be going to allot of trouble re-mastering Carl Davis score, or re-scoring the film with Robert Israel, getting Kevin Brownlow involved etc, for a no frills Warner Archive release. I mean how many films has the label released so far with Carl Davis or Robert Israel scores? Not a one. Which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Jack Theakston

PostSun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am

If WB does release THE BIG PARADE, they will likely include the 1931 re-issue soundtrack, based on the original score by Axt and Mendoza. That's what the prints carry.

Maybe some day down the road we might see a BD release. It's just not economically feasible to put this stuff out on DVVD at this point, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

As for WB's Archives, don't expect anything they don't already have a master on. Realistically, they won't have a problem with budget scores-- the Warner-Chappell library and a week with a music editor won't produce scores with the quality that musicians like Robert Israel can deliver, but for what they're trying to achieve, will be acceptable.
J. Theakston

Gagman 66

PostSun Aug 23, 2009 12:59 am

Jack,

As long as they never hire the same folks who scored BROKEN BLOSSOMS for them last year, and re-aired just recently. They were abysmal. Keep them far away from any and every pending project.

Keatonesque

Re: SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

PostSun May 13, 2018 4:23 pm

9 years later, do we know anything more regarding the status of She's a Sheik and whether any other searches have been conducted? This is the one lost Bebe Daniels I would most love to see found. The gender reverse plot is intriguing and it sounds like such a perfect contrast to the Stockholm Syndrome-like sensibility of the masculine-minded Valentino films. Definitely in my top 20 lost films most desired. The post-1920 films of Bebe Daniels suffered such a cruel fate. :(

Keatonesque

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Does anyone know when this may have been lost?

Gagman 66

PostThu May 24, 2018 12:37 am

:o I was recently told that Kevin Brownlow owns a copy of SHE'S A SHIEK in 9.5 Millimeter? Can this be correct???

Keatonesque

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:19 am

Gagman 66 wrote::o I was recently told that Kevin Brownlow owns a copy of SHE'S A SHIEK in 9.5 Millimeter? Can this be correct???

WOW. I almost wish you'd said don't get your hopes up. This would be quite the revelation and how I'd love for it to be true, even if 9.5mm isn't exactly awe-inspiring. Could you possibly elaborate on who passed on this information, and how reliable their word is? To answer your question, it really depends on the source of information and the veracity of their source. In other words, I'd believe it if the person got this directly from Kevin Brownlow himself. For all intents and purposes, this film has been thought lost for decades, so this is worth following up on. Perhaps you could ask Brownlow himself? Or if it's possible for someone attending this year's SFSFF to try to ask him after the screening of Mare Nostrum he's attending?

buskeat

PostFri May 25, 2018 1:31 pm

It's not She's a Sheik, but the Library of Congress next month is showing the earlier Bebe Daniels-William Powell movie Señorita as part of its Mostly Lost Festival. I've read the success of Bebe's cross-dressing plot in Señorita and her chemistry with Powell led almost immediately to the production of She's a Sheik.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-050/librarys-cinematic-treasure-hunt-for-mostly-lost-films/2018-05-11/

Friday, June 15

7:30 p.m. Bruno Mestdagh of Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique presents the silent film “Senorita” (1927). Andrew Simpson will provide musical accompaniment. This event at the Packard Campus is free and open to the public.

“Senorita” (1927). This rollicking adventure features Bebe Daniels masquerading as a boy in order to protect her grandfather’s ranch. Directed by Clarence G. Badger, the additional cast includes William Powell, James Hall, Jerry Mandy and Josef Swickard. The 35 mm print was loaned by the Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique.

I'm horribly upset I won't be able to see this.
Next

Return to Talking About Silents