SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Keatonesque

Re: SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

PostFri May 25, 2018 3:12 pm

buskeat wrote:It's not She's a Sheik, but the Library of Congress next month is showing the earlier Bebe Daniels-William Powell movie Señorita as part of its Mostly Lost Festival. I've read the success of Bebe's cross-dressing plot in Señorita and her chemistry with Powell led almost immediately to the production of She's a Sheik.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-050/librarys-cinematic-treasure-hunt-for-mostly-lost-films/2018-05-11/

Friday, June 15

7:30 p.m. Bruno Mestdagh of Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique presents the silent film “Senorita” (1927). Andrew Simpson will provide musical accompaniment. This event at the Packard Campus is free and open to the public.

“Senorita” (1927). This rollicking adventure features Bebe Daniels masquerading as a boy in order to protect her grandfather’s ranch. Directed by Clarence G. Badger, the additional cast includes William Powell, James Hall, Jerry Mandy and Josef Swickard. The 35 mm print was loaned by the Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique.

I'm horribly upset I won't be able to see this.

Fascinating! I would be upset too. Señorita has never been released. Like the surviving films of Colleen Moore, those of Bebe Daniels have been subject to neglect far too long. The print is being loaned out, but it should be given a proper restoration, screened at the SFSFF, then given a release. Of her late 20s silents that survive, only Miss Bluebeard and Feel My Pulse have gotten releases, both courtesy of Grapevine, albeit with rather poor quality as expected. The latter is really a quality picture, and I have the feeling that Señorita and She's a Sheik both represent the best of what she had to offer. Given that these films also feature the likes of William Powell and Richard Arlen, I'm surprised they have been so neglected for so long. Whatever the case, she deserves a belated revival. So I do hope something can be worked out regarding this print of Señorita from Belgium that will make possible a restoration or at least release (FA, Milestone, KINO?), and that Gagman can share more about Kevin Brownlow supposedly having a personal copy of She's a Sheik.

Keatonesque

Re: SHE'S A SHIEK (1927)

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Any news as to whether this does indeed exist in 9.5mm? Did anyone ask Kevin Brownlow at the SFSFF if he has a copy in his private collection?
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents