Becoming Charley Chase

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

boblipton

Becoming Charley Chase

PostThu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Well, my set of the 4-dvd set has arrived and I'm very pleased. I intend to start going through it as soon as I settle down within the hour.

However, while I am very happy to have the set, a hardcopy table of contents would be nice; there is none provided with the disks. Will I have to do up one on my own or is there a site where it is available?

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Rick Lanham

PostThu Sep 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Here you go:

http://charley-chase.com/

Rick :)

Tracy

PostThu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm

I bought this DVD set at Cinecon and was highly disapointed when I opened it that there was no list of titles or booklet. Thanks very much for making that list available online, I will print it out. GREAT.

I love what I have watched so far, which is about most of the first disc. I enjoyed the music scores too, they were very well done. The print quality is really remarkably good. Also the bonus commentaries are welcome. I am a tried and true Valentino fan, but Cinecon over the past few years has made a Charley Chase fan out of me as well. I signed the list to have the sound Columbia's released. Lets hope.

Thanks to all who put this Becoming Charley Chase DVD set together it had to have been a heck of a love of labor. Hats off to all of you and the musicians involved too!

Tracy

Richard M Roberts

Re: Becoming Charley Chase

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 am

boblipton wrote:Well, my set of the 4-dvd set has arrived and I'm very pleased. I intend to start going through it as soon as I settle down within the hour.

However, while I am very happy to have the set, a hardcopy table of contents would be nice; there is none provided with the disks. Will I have to do up one on my own or is there a site where it is available?

Bob

The official site with the booklet download is the following:

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewto ... f=10&t=111

Which I posted on Nitrateville several weeks ago.

The booklet would have been a deal-breaker expense in getting the DVD released, so it was out. Yet, I agree, a title list should have been inserted if it was too large to put on the outside.

Hope you enjoy the set.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

colbyco82

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 am

If only Chases' work with Roach during the MGM years could get a release...

Jim Roots

PostTue Sep 22, 2009 7:48 am

Much to my surprise, Amazon has emailed me to notify me they have this set in stock. I didn't know they even carried this kind of thing. They certainly don't carry the recent Doug Fairbanks set.

Forty bucks Canadian, plus GST and shipping costs. Kind of steep, but it's bound to be worth it. I love Chase.

And hey! you guys putting together the set of Chase talkies! You'd better remember to put captions on it! Thanks...

Jim

Rodney

PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:27 am

Jim Roots wrote:Much to my surprise, Amazon has emailed me to notify me they have this set in stock. I didn't know they even carried this kind of thing. They certainly don't carry the recent Doug Fairbanks set.

You mean this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Fairbanks ... 919&sr=8-1

(Amazon is usually quite good about carrying this sort of thing, actually. The Arbuckle set is hard to find, but not their fault really.) I don't see it at amazon.ca, though.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Jim Roots

PostTue Sep 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Rodney wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:Much to my surprise, Amazon has emailed me to notify me they have this set in stock. I didn't know they even carried this kind of thing. They certainly don't carry the recent Doug Fairbanks set.

You mean this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Fairbanks ... 919&sr=8-1

(Amazon is usually quite good about carrying this sort of thing, actually. The Arbuckle set is hard to find, but not their fault really.) I don't see it at amazon.ca, though.

Yep, and there you see the problem -- the Canadian branch doesn't carry it.

Now that I think of it, I found the All-Day Harry Langdon set on Amazon, too. They must have a distribution deal with All-Day.

Jim

Christopher Jacobs

PostTue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 pm

I picked up my copy of the set at the Cinecon, and have now gotten through all of the films, but not quite all the bonus materials or any of the audio commentaries yet.

The films are all great to see, especially in chronological order. The Keystone titles are more "interesting" than funny, but you can definitely see Chase's progression in developing his screen persona. The other films range from amusing to quite funny to downright hilarious and should be fine candidates to introduce to audiences unfamiliar with Chase by running a short or two before the feature they came to see. Along with Kino's Chase DVDs, they demonstrate Chase could consistently make films on a par with Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd shorts.

Picture quality varies quite a bit, depending upon source material. Most are from well-worn but quite watchable 16mm prints, a few appear to be from muddy VHS copies, and a few are from beautifully sharp 35mm prints. Various artists provide the music scores, and some may prefer one to another, but all are generally appropriate (though some of the jazz band scores tend not to change themes with the moods as rapidly).

The documentary on Chase is quite interesting, though has some potentially distracting audio volume unevenness. The lack of a printed insert is frustrating at first, but as noted by others it is a simple matter to download the full program notes and print them out.

All in all, it's a great set and well worth the investment for anyone interested in silent comedy. Now all we need is a similar set for Lupino Lane!

--Christopher Jacobs
http://hpr1.com/film
http://www.und.edu/instruct/cjacobs

WaverBoy

Re: Becoming Charley Chase

PostSat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 pm

Anyone know if the copies of this set now being sold by VCI have the liner notes booklet included? I ask because the listing says the following under Specs & Features:

DVD | 4 DISC | 460 minutes | 1915-1925 | B&W | Not Rated | English language | 1.33:1 / 4x3 | Dolby Digital 2.0 | All Regions

Audio commentaries by noted film historians
THE PARROTT CHASE 45 minute restrospective on the life and career of Charley Chase
THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE Behind the scenes with the Snark Ensemble on the making of the music for this set
Archival interview with Chase's daughter June
Collectible CineNotes booklet

https://www.vcientertainment.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=508

I printed out the PDF file a long time ago, but it's formatted badly, with two sequential pages mashed together on each PDF page in landscape format so it can't be printed properly, either in booklet format or just in one bloody page per page. Also, the text and imagery in the PDF file are pretty low-rez. Yeah, I know, first world problems...

If the booklet proper were now included, I'd order another set and make a gift of my current set.

Return to Talking About Silents