The Official Silents online deals thread

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

moviepas

Deep Discount

PostThu Nov 18, 2010 6:43 pm

I noted that Deep Discount is offering US$16.49 on Warner Archive titles today but they seem to be way behind in new titles in the series which is disappointing.

I had to get Ripley's Believe it or not from Amazon(at a good price) because DD did not list this and a few other titles at Amazon. However, looked up a few at Amazon & looked up Kay Francis but they wanted $26.99 for three titles. I wasn't buying at that price.

I have also noted that they are offering a lot of DVDs, CDs & books as Supplied by the Publisher etc. I have had one such book that way.

kndy

PostTue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Little Rascals: The Complete Collection has dropped down to $26.99 on Amazon right now.

UPDATE: Bn.com has matched it and use this 30% off code and it becomes $15.74

CODE: P4A4N7P

Use the Bn.com not AAA or Public Library link.

kndy

PostTue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Warner Archive 5 (single disc titles) for $50 sale will be coming back on Thursday (Thanksgiving through Monday).

35MM

Re: Sales & DD

PostWed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 am

moviepas wrote:Mazzette. Don't get me started on DD. I have had loads of trouble with them lately & I am not happy. Now they are advising that they are starting a Loyalty program. The last one in North America who did that went out of business(in Canada) & charged lots of people, me included, for DVDs they did not ship but gave a shipping date & for titles that were cancelled by the publisher and all sorts of figures that matched nothing.

I have told DD I wished I had a phone on the computer & I would call them and try & sort things out but alas I can't do that.

I did A LOT of business with Deep Discount for many years, but they have changed hands yet again. Financial woes made it difficult for them to obtain stock from vendors and that's why shipping became so slow.

http://www.sdcd.com/News/SuperD-Aquires-Infinity

Worldwide Music Wholesaler, Super D, acquires Infinity Resources

IRVINE, CA – November 4, 2010 -- Super D, a Worldwide Music Wholesaler has acquired substantially all the assets of:
Infinity Resources, Inc.
Collectors Choice Music, Inc.
I-Serve Direct Commerce Services, Inc.
Infinity Consumer Entertainment, Inc.
Infinity Entertainment Group, Inc.
IRI Holding, Inc.
Planet Entertainment, Inc.
With the acquisition Super D acquires the DeepDisount.com, Collectors' Choice Music, and Critics' Choice Video direct to consumer catalogs and websites. For the wholesale business, the additions of Collectors' Choice Music and Hepcat greatly expand the independent distribution of Super D Independent Distribution (SDID).

All trade payables have been assumed by Super D. The acquisition was financed by PNC bank with an expansion of Super D's asset based credit line and a 24-month Term Loan.

Infinity Resources has a 128,867 square foot state-of-the-art distribution facility in Itasca, Illinois that Super D will continue to operate. This greatly expands Super D's current 68,250 square foot warehouse capabilities of its Irvine warehouse.

Super D currently has the world's largest in stock selection of 340,411 unique titles of CD's, Vinyl, DVD's and video games. The world's largest selection includes 120,000 U.S. CD titles, 70,000 U.S. DVD titles and over 150,000 non parallel import titles from 32 countries. The immense in stock selection gives brick and mortar and internet retailers a great selection to offer customers worldwide. Super D's selection is created from their proprietary worldwide database and goal is to have all available unique worldwide titles in stock. Super D plans to use their expansive selection to enhance the consumer selection of the sales channels acquired.

In 1994 when Super D was founded, it was offering 200 top selling titles. Over the past several years Super D has been creating the only Worldwide One Stop that is committed to Superior Service, Selection, and Technology. Orders are shipped same day to over 1,500 retailers and direct to consumers worldwide as third party fulfillment. By building this great in stock selection, Super D has created an outstanding selection for thousands of retail stores and internet sellers worldwide.

About Super D:
Founded in 1990 as an independent music store, CD Listening Bar, Inc. is a privately held employee owned California Corporation located in Irvine, California. Super D currently has the largest worldwide selection of CD's & DVD's from 32 countries in the world and distributes them to independent music retailers, chain music retailers, internet retailers, international retailers and special market retailers worldwide. More information about Super D is available at www.sdcd.com or you may contact Jeff Walker, President, at [email protected].
CURSES!

kndy

PostThu Nov 25, 2010 8:06 pm

OK for the wbshop Black Friday sale:

I figured it out how to get the cheaper price featured (earlier today, if ou clicked on it and did check out, the price went up by $4-$7).

To get the cheaper price, you need to login to your Inside Rewards Membership (this is free):

http://insiderrewards.warnerbros.com/

You will see a banner that goes to the store for 25% off click on that and then you can start your shopping with the lower price discount.

And then when you check out, you will get the cheaper price.

Now to use the $5 coupon off, you need five items I think:

CEUS-RDA6-2TMD-QPG2

Also try SMODCAST...it may work for $5 off one item.

-------------
I know some of you have held out in buying a Blu-ray but they are getting pretty cheap. Here is a very good LG Blu-ray player on sale on Amazon right now via Black Friday sale for $69 and with free shipping. It also plays various media files if you connect your USB card to it and also streams YouTube videos. No Mubi, Netflix or Hulu though.

LG BD530:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00400 ... =384082011

kndy

kndy

PostSun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 am

Amazon:

Charlie Chaplin Short Comedy Classics - The Complete Restored Essanay & Mutual Collection - $29.49

More Treasures from American Film Archives 1894-1931 - $32.99

Chaplin Mutual Comedies - Restored Edition - $25.99

35MM

PostThu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 pm

CURSES!

kndy

PostSat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm

More Treasures from American Film Archives 1894-1931 has dropped to $32.99 on Amazon.

Deep discount has it on Amazon as third party for $25.99 (+$2.98 shipping) but you guys know how they are with the speed of their shipping....

kndy

Rob Farr

PostTue Dec 21, 2010 10:58 am

Soon after kndy posted this the prices actually were 50% off, but within a few hours they reverted to their usual 25%-33% off levels. Maybe it was a 1:00am to 5:00am sale.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

35MM

PostTue Dec 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Weird. The Constance Talmadge disc is cheaper than Norma's. And I'm still waiting for the Metropolis set I ordered over two weeks ago. But I also noticed how inexpensive the most recent Flicker Alley titles are, about 40%-45% less:

Chaplin at Keystone - $48.11
Chicago - $22.92
The Italian Straw Hat - $17.26
CURSES!

kndy

PostWed Dec 22, 2010 11:36 am

Rob Farr wrote:Soon after kndy posted this the prices actually were 50% off, but within a few hours they reverted to their usual 25%-33% off levels. Maybe it was a 1:00am to 5:00am sale.

So disappointing that they changed it so quickly :(

kndy

PostWed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 am

35MM wrote:Weird. The Constance Talmadge disc is cheaper than Norma's. And I'm still waiting for the Metropolis set I ordered over two weeks ago. But I also noticed how inexpensive the most recent Flicker Alley titles are, about 40%-45% less:

Chaplin at Keystone - $48.11
Chicago - $22.92
The Italian Straw Hat - $17.26

Ahhhh!!! Those are great prices for Flicker Alley titles but since they are out of stock, I'm guessing if I do order, I'll receive them in February. Hehe.... Those September Kino sale titles I ordered in September came in November.

35MM

PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:01 pm

CURSES!

kndy

PostSat Jan 01, 2011 11:53 am

Masters of Cinema January 2011 48-Hour sale

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/priceblitz.html

kndy

PostTue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 am

Alfred Hitchcock movie fan? The $120 DVD Box Set (MGM Premiere) is on sale right now for $19.99. Comes with Hitchcock's 1927 film "The Lodger". It's only for today!

(Lifeboat / Spellbound / Notorious / The Paradine Case / Sabotage / Young and Innocent / Rebecca / The Lodger)

http://www.1saleaday.com/

Mazamette

PostTue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm

kndy, you are the king (or perhaps queen?) of bargain DVD hunters, and you always cost me money when you post here -- although you usually save me some in the process!

Not this time, though. A quick look at the buyer reviews on Amazon shows many reports of defective discs: http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Premier ... addOneStar

Might still be worth the twenty bucks, but with reports of bad packaging as well, I just thought I'd post a quick caveat emptor!

dr.giraud

PostTue Jan 04, 2011 3:19 pm

Mazamette wrote:kndy, you are the king (or perhaps queen?) of bargain DVD hunters, and you always cost me money when you post here -- although you usually save me some in the process!

Not this time, though. A quick look at the buyer reviews on Amazon shows many reports of defective discs: http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Premier ... addOneStar

Might still be worth the twenty bucks, but with reports of bad packaging as well, I just thought I'd post a quick caveat emptor!

I picked up a copy last summer. No problems. Nice to have SABOTAGE in a version much better than the usual PD quality.
dr. giraud

Chuck W

PostTue Jan 04, 2011 3:57 pm

dr.giraud wrote:
Mazamette wrote:kndy, you are the king (or perhaps queen?) of bargain DVD hunters, and you always cost me money when you post here -- although you usually save me some in the process!

I picked up a copy last summer. No problems. Nice to have SABOTAGE in a version much better than the usual PD quality.

So was there a reissue of the defective discs or is this a "luck of the draw" scenario? And, if so, how do we know if this boxset is the reissued set or not? Can we get replacement copies for any defective discs?

Boy, I'm asking a lot of questions.

EDIT: So I did some detective work, calling the 20th Century Fox help-line and posing as a concerned customer, and I can safely say that this is a definite case of buyer beware. I asked a gentleman in customer service if it would be possible to return defective discs in order to get a reissued disc in return. While the customer service rep did claim that it would be possible to return some discs, they can only do so if they are still carrying that particular film; unfortunately, this box-set is something they no longer carry (imagine that!), and certain discs could not be replaced. I know for certain that NOTORIOUS and LIFEBOAT could be replaced, and REBECCA and SABOTAGE could not; I didn't want to ask about more titles because I was afraid of arousing suspicion. He also said that this specific set was made especially for CostCo (!) retail chains, and suggested I try to take my defective box set to them for a possible return.

For me, this is not worth the risk, no matter how paltry $20 might seem in relation to the temptation of owning so much Hitchcock for such a small amount of money.

Then again, we do have one account of the discs working fine... so who knows?

Gaucho

PostWed Jan 05, 2011 12:42 am

Deep Discount is having a Flicker Alley sale.
Right now you can pick up the Chaplin Keystone Boxset for $48 shipped and
Chicago for $23 and change.

Mazamette

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Gaucho, thanks for that tip back on the 4th. After my last Deep Discount fiasco, I swore I'd never trust them again, but at that price I took a Deep Breath and ordered Chicago, having left my previous copy on a train hoping I'd get it long enough before the apocalypse to watch it at least once.

It seems like with Infinity Resources now distributing for Deep Discount, things have really changed for the better, because it came today -- just ten days after ordering, a perfectly reasonable timeline. And it came well packaged in a tight cardboard box, rather than the flimsy plastic envelope the last one came in. If this keeps up, I might start using Deep Discount more regularly.

It seems like DD's customer service element might also be set to improve. Anyway, here's who's distributing DD's product line now:

http://www.infinityresources.com/

And good on 'em![/b]

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jan 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Amazon has changed the mix of titles in their DVD and Blu-Ray Deals. There are 18 silent items.

This URL should get you there:

http://thurly.net/0r0v

or use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... sort=price

Rick

35MM

PostThu Feb 03, 2011 4:05 pm

CURSES!

kndy

PostThu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,

For those in the US, I just want to give you a heads up that for those who have ordered from the UK recently, there has been a slowdown of shipments and instead of receiving things within a week or two, it may take a month or more.

Some may want to wait on purchases until this is resolved, otherwise if you have made a purchase, you may want to expect a delay in shipment time.

Here is the latest from the USPS:
http://www.usps.com/international/serviceupdates.htm

Information on Inbound International Mail
Due to recent incidents involving international cargo, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) instituted heightened security measures to safeguard air transport. These directives apply to U.S. bound international mail and cargo.

The U.S. Postal Service is working with the Universal Postal Union (UPU) and the designated postal operators of its member countries to provide support and assistance in adhering to these TSA directives.

In December 2010, the holiday surge in international mail volume to the U.S., along with severe weather conditions in many parts of Europe and limited availability of air transport, contributed to widespread delays in transit times for international mail bound for the U.S. In addition, airlines operating at major air transit hubs have been unable to provide mail transit services for postal packets and parcels.

Since that time, a world-wide effort among UPU members and postal operators to meet the requirements of the new TSA directives has resulted in improvements in transit times for international mail bound for the U.S.

However, international packages from some points outside the U.S. may be subject to delays of several days above normal transit times as foreign postal operators continue to make progress in implementing the necessary adjustments to their operations. The U.S. Postal Service regrets any inconvenience these temporary increases in transit times may create for its customers.

kndy

Mabel Normand's The Extra Girl/The Gusher and Reel Basebal

PostThu Feb 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Mabel Normand's The Extra Girl and The Gusher
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=919

and

Reel Baseball are on sale at Kino's website for $9.99
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=852

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 04, 2011 10:21 pm

The Griffith sale has a ton of great films in it... and that's coming from an avowed non-Griffith-lover... but if you're interested in some of his lesser-known titles, a bunch of them are going for $14.98 or something here.

Meanwhile, the $9,99 sale here has several interesting things in it including the Constance Talmadge release and Marcel Carne's 1950s version of Therese Raquin, as well as Reel Baseball and The Extra Girl mentioned above.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Rick Lanham

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Deep Discount has the MURNAU, BORZAGE AND FOX BOX SET
on sale for $122.52, about 1/2 price:

http://thurly.net/0vs0

or

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/index.cf ... F2B58AE40/

It's half silents and half talkies, on 12 discs despite what it says on that page in 2 places.

Rick

rollot24

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Deep Discount has the MURNAU, BORZAGE AND FOX BOX SET
on sale for $122.52, about 1/2 price:

Oh man! Why do you tell me these things? How is a guy supposed to save any money? (Note to self: find piggy bank and a large mallet)

rollot24

PostWed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Piggy bank and mallet found! So it's MickeyD's for a month. Who says we don't have priorities?
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Silents