The Official Silents online deals thread

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

kndy

The Official Silents online deals thread

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Hope you guys don't mind. Before I would post deals on a separate thread but maybe it's best to keep it within one thread that people can check off and on.

* DeepDiscount.com - 25% off sale using the following code: SAVE25 or 25MORE (ends on June 20th).

Possibly the best deal is using it on the "Ford At Fox Collection: John Ford's Silent Epics". I have waited for this one to go down to under $30 but never happened. But with this coupon, it takes it to $29.84. (Free shipping)

* BigLots - Big Lot stores has received a good number of box sets in the past month. You should be able to find AMC box sets with a few silents and talkies for $5 (DVD packs containing 12-24 films) or $3 (10 films or less).

Danny Burk

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for posting! I think this thread is a great idea.

roger P

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm

The Deep Discount 25% off sale will put the upcoming Buster Keaton releases, "Lost Keaton" and "Steamboat Bill Jr UE" at about $16.00 apiece. Not too bad!

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, the discount is apparently not available on all items, although I didn't try it on DVDs that didn't have a red tag with "sale 25% off item" on them. So I could be wrong.

I must thank the original poster for alerting me to this sale, I've now blown my budget on many items with the sale tag, and using his code.

Rick

kndy

PostThu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

roger P wrote:The Deep Discount 25% off sale will put the upcoming Buster Keaton releases, "Lost Keaton" and "Steamboat Bill Jr UE" at about $16.00 apiece. Not too bad!

I believe Potemkin is for $16 (blu-ray) and the General is at $18 (Blu-ray).

moviepas

DeepDiscount

PostFri Jun 04, 2010 4:44 am

DeepDiscount don't usually allow discounts on pre-orders which is fair comment, only for in stock product or certain titles.They did back order titles out of stock in the Kino sale that didn't include all titles from Kino's catalogue. I got a few I had been continually putting on the back burner for a long, long time. They certainly couldn't profitably put the Warner Archive in a sale although they did have introductory prices when they first offered these. They often have great deals for VCI product undercutting Amazon by up to $6 a title for lots of titles besides pre-orders.

boblipton

PostFri Jun 04, 2010 4:44 am

I just got this email from Ali Stevenson:

From June 4th until July 4th, 2010, Looser Than Loose is offering a 20% discount and a chance to win one of three prizes. Pending orders will automatically be entered into the contest.

Please see website for details:
http://www.looserthanloose.com
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Rob Farr

PostFri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm

I notice that Deep Discount wasn't discounting Flicker Alley discs by 25%. It's worth keeping an eye on DVD Planet in the coming weeks as they usually have a sale around the same time as DD. Maybe they will have lower prices on the Flickers.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

kndy

PostFri Jun 04, 2010 4:52 pm

According to several sites, Barnes & Noble will be having their Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale starting on June 8th.

FrankFay

PostSat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 am

One of my (only) two credit cards is an Amazon.com card that gives me gift points on purchases. After a year or so of spending I can end up with $25 to $50 or more in credit to apply to a purchase. Not a huge amount, but it helps.
Eric Stott

moviepas

Deep Discount

PostSun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Isn't DVD Planet now owned by Deep Discount. This was owned by Image Entertainment and run, I think, from Las Vegas area. I got a real good price on a box set a few years ago from DVD Planet and the details of address and invoice layout was DeepDiscount-style.

CoffeeDan

PostMon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 am

I have noticed in recent years that DVD Planet, Deep Discount, Warner Archive, and Columbia House ship their merchandise from the same warehouse in Itasca, IL. Maybe they have a business agreement to share space.

moviepas

Deep Discount

PostTue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Re DeepDiscount. Yes, DeepDiscount does offer to house and ship merchandise for others as their business profile states. I was a customer in waiting before they actually opened for business and had a falling out thru no fault of mine & I still have issues about how they ship to overseas addresses(NO PO Box numbers accepted and I think Classicflix is the same) which is bad news when it comes to safe delivery away from thieves and the weather if one it not home. Columbia House & Warners had warehouses in Indiana, I think in the past and Warners built their Laserdisc plant & then converted to DVD manufacture when they arrived and there have been some troublesome DVDs from that plant, I can tell you. I have had my worst trouble with replicated US Warners than any other brand in the past. So far I have had to recode three WB Archive discs to play on major brands of DVD players. Locally there is another brand who has the worst reputation which I find does one of our largest DVD/Electronics chains. This is a pity because they are now a major distributor of locally produced product from the archives & others & have secondary rights to major catalogues like Universal & Fox among others for specific titles the majors don't want to issue here and they add a local noted film historian as commentator on some classics like Douglas Sirk films.

Infinity Resources seems to be the overall owner company of DeepDiscount and it was a good move to finally merge their CD business with the DVDs and add books. One could not order CDs with DVDs & viceversa which was very annoying. So they then changed the names to DeepDiscount.com. They opened and had trade troubles with a Canadian branch just over the border. Trade rights I was fully ofay with and made little sense to me. They have issued CD & DVD product like Sgt Preston & Route 66. I, in fact, double ordered the first Route 66 set(great black & white quality) and unlike Amazon the site does not alert you to the fact that you have had it before which would allows a decision to be made before the order is placed. I have tried to sell the duplicate, sealed, for cost both at a market & on-line and there have been no local interest & the show was once very popular now. If something is not almost free they don't seem to want to pay for it.

boblipton

PostTue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

I keep reading this as 'The Official Online Death Threat".

Bob

-- Werner Herzog

kndy

PostTue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

A few Silent related sales from Masters of Cinema and Eureka!:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/mayoffers.html

Shipping is pretty quick from UK to US.

myrnaloyisdope

PostWed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 am

MoC is the best DVD company in the world. Great product, great prices and great shipping.

kndy

PostSun Jun 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi everyone,

People are posting that although bn.com (Barnes & Nobles) don't have a lot of their DVD's (or Blu-rays) via the B2G1 sale, you can go in-store and utilize the deal for those other titles.

Although, not sure if Barnes & Nobles carries any silents esp. Flicker Alley titles...unfort. don't have a B&N nearby (mostly all Borders).

kndy

PostTue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 pm

For those who missed out on Silents from Criterion, a Deep Discount sale currently going on:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm?f ... erPage=250

Coupon Code: gray1

Danny Burk

PostTue Jun 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Someone at a couple of other forums reported that B&N will begin another 50% off Criterion sale on 20 July.

kndy

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 10:42 am

It looks like the Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% off sale has been moved to July 13th. So, that's going to be cool.

Also, a heads up that the Eureka!/MoC June Deals are now up as of today:

It says May offers but I think they forgot to make it June offers and just revised the previous .html.

boblipton

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 10:56 am

Actually. I was at Barnes & Noble -- the real one, not the inter-tube thingie -- and they're having a buy-two-get-three sale.

Bob

-- Werner Herzog

LouieD

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

kndy wrote:It looks like the Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% off sale has been moved to July 13th. So, that's going to be cool.

Also, a heads up that the Eureka!/MoC June Deals are now up as of today:

It says May offers but I think they forgot to make it June offers and just revised the previous .html.

THANKS! Just ordered the Lubitsch box set!

35MM

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm

A few Image and Milestone silents on sale at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/36osgsb
CURSES!

moviepas

Deep Discount

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Deep Discount are having technical troubles with their Order History Archives etc which they are saying they are trying to fix. I have had two during their sale 25MORE.

The first had me down for 2 x Lace instead of one of Lace & one of Lace11 which they deleted one copy in time but could not replace with the right title which I had to order on another order and lost some postal advantage costs as a result(international pays postage). I was looking at the orders this week to see if I had ordered a title there before I ordered that title from Amazon(which I did). At the bottom of the history the latest order they listed 1 x Chicago(1927) Backordered & 1 x Chicago(1927) Processing. I contacted and got an answer back(slower by far than Amazon for an answer) that they were having technical troubles with order histories and were diligently working to correct the problem and that there was only one copy on the order. We'll see. There are still a couple orders there that say still say Partially Shipped and on opening the pages those so-called unshipped items have been received by me.

I do have a parcel shipped on May 18 which I got abut May 26 here in Australia but from the same order 4 x titles shipped the next day have not been received and they will only ship to house address(via post) and not PO Boxes which is a dangerous system. PO Boxes are best for many reasons. I await their response to this. It did contain the much waited for WB Archive Mammy(Jolson, 1930). I got Rio Rita this week and this is faulty disc but not marked in that area(there is a scratch at the outer edge) and it freezes and moves frame at a time from about 30mins in but the print and sound seemed to be good and the part I could view. My correction software for bad discs would not fix the problem. The software stalls at about 1.34gb. Other problem WB Archives titles, that is won't start or jam before the main pictures starts(I have had three such) I have been able to produce a playable copy that I place inside the box with the original disc. Better than having the copies go back and all that fuss and upsetting the on-line who can get funny if you have too many complaints and can close the account on you for good.

Rick Lanham

Re: Deep Discount

PostTue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm

moviepas wrote: There are still a couple orders there that say still say Partially Shipped and on opening the pages those so-called unshipped items have been received by me.

I have this exact same problem.

Rick

kndy

PostWed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah, I've called Deep Discount because there are things that I ordered during the Kino sale several months ago that still show as open. I told them that I don't want to be double charged and they said don't worry about it.

We'll see....

Btw..which is the one to get:

Chaplin Mutual Comedies: Restored 90th Anniversary Edition

or

Charlie Chaplin Short Comedy Classics - The Complete Restored Essanay & Mutual Collection

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 pm

kndy wrote:
Btw..which is the one to get:

Chaplin Mutual Comedies: Restored 90th Anniversary Edition

or

Charlie Chaplin Short Comedy Classics - The Complete Restored Essanay & Mutual Collection

The 90th Anniversary Edition is the newer release and has been remastered, I believe. It also includes some snippets of footage that are not on the other set. So I would recommend that one. If you want the Essanays, you can get those separately - there might even be a new release coming of those.

Also, I put in my own order to this sale at Amazon yesterday, and just got an email saying that my entire order has been shipped today. Very impressive.

Rick

T0m M

PostFri Jun 25, 2010 5:25 am

Deep Discount is now offering a 55% discount on most of their Warner Archive titles until June 30, no promotional code required. So if you missed their recent extra 25% discount, here's a chance to save even slightly more.

35MM

PostFri Jun 25, 2010 11:22 am

Barnes & Noble offering free express shipping this weekend. No minimum and I think it's for non-members as well. I was thinking about the Evelyn Nesbit book but would like to know more about it if someone is familiar with it. Can't argue about the price.

B&N
CURSES!

Frederica

PostFri Jun 25, 2010 12:25 pm

35MM wrote:Barnes & Noble offering free express shipping this weekend. No minimum and I think it's for non-members as well. I was thinking about the Evelyn Nesbit book but would like to know more about it if someone is familiar with it. Can't argue about the price.

B&N

It's excellent, go for it.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"
Next

Return to Talking About Silents