IMDB fact checking

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Dana

IMDB fact checking

PostThu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Does anyone know how IMDB determines their credits? Is there a form of fact checking done?

JFK

IMDB fact checking- missing credits

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Harry Fraser credit as "Curt von Resarf"
Mel Brooks credit on Imogene Coca show

Smari1989

Re: IMDB fact checking

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm

The further back in film history one goes, the more speculative their credits tend to get, obviously. By and large, I think they choose to "trust" contributors. I have noticed, however, that they no longer accept Wikipedia as a source for facts, which I guess is a good thing, overall...

EDIT: woah, just now noticed that the OP asked this in 2010... oh well!
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

ChristineURen

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 pm

I was recently emailing some questions to a film historian, and he said at one point IMDB posted that Edwin S. Porter was born in Italy in 1969!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 am

For a while there, IMDb credited Okie humorist Will Rogers with a gig as a sound recordist on a film made in 1994. When I pointed out that this was unlikely, as he was killed in a plane crash in 1935, they fixed the error.

To this day, however, IMDb persists in crediting Frank Wallace (whose sole claim to fame was his marriage to Mae West, in 1911) with an acting role in a 1984 film called A Breed Apart, released almost twenty years after his death. I called the error to their attention 2 or 3 times, then finally said the hell with it.
-- Charlie Morrow

drednm

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:For a while there, IMDb credited Okie humorist Will Rogers with a gig as a sound recordist on a film made in 1994. When I pointed out that this was unlikely, as he was killed in a plane crash in 1935, they fixed the error.

To this day, however, IMDb persists in crediting Frank Wallace (whose sole claim to fame was his marriage to Mae West, in 1911) with an acting role in a 1984 film called A Breed Apart, released almost twenty years after his death. I called the error to their attention 2 or 3 times, then finally said the hell with it.

It's certainly a hit or miss situation. I recently changed a credit in SPECTER OF THE ROSE which listed kid actor Billy Gray for the nightclub comic Billy Gray. Sometimes they make the correction; sometimes they don't. I think it depends on which IMDb "editor" looks at your submission.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Smari1989

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 am

Yeah, it's definitely hit or miss. I recently tried to delete the "Short" category from Max Linder's last completed film, MAX, DER ZIRKUSKONIG (since the film, running at over an hour in length, hardly qualifies as a short), but I see it's still listed as such.
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

Harlowgold

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:For a while there, IMDb credited Okie humorist Will Rogers with a gig as a sound recordist on a film made in 1994. When I pointed out that this was unlikely, as he was killed in a plane crash in 1935, they fixed the error.

I was able to get them to remove the information off the "new" Frank Wallace's IMDb page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908635/. Did you try to "edit" Wallace's bio information on his page as I did? IMDb is indeed weird about not accepting corrections sometimes but often it's no problem.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Harlowgold wrote:

I was able to get them to remove the information off the "new" Frank Wallace's IMDb page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908635/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. Did you try to "edit" Wallace's bio information on his page as I did? IMDb is indeed weird about not accepting corrections sometimes but often it's no problem.

Hmm . . . well, honestly I don't recall what approach I took, but whatever it was it didn't work. Congrats on getting through to them. I've also had mixed experiences with getting corrections to "take." The most frustrating occasion was when they misidentified a photo of Rex Ingram (African-American actor) as Rex Ingram (Irish film director) on the latter's IMDb page. I pointed this out repeatedly, but was ignored. A year or so later I checked and found that the errant photo had finally been removed.
-- Charlie Morrow

boblipton

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:

I was able to get them to remove the information off the "new" Frank Wallace's IMDb page http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908635/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. Did you try to "edit" Wallace's bio information on his page as I did? IMDb is indeed weird about not accepting corrections sometimes but often it's no problem.

Hmm . . . well, honestly I don't recall what approach I took, but whatever it was it didn't work. Congrats on getting through to them. I've also had mixed experiences with getting corrections to "take." The most frustrating occasion was when they misidentified a photo of Rex Ingram (African-American actor) as Rex Ingram (Irish film director) on the latter's IMDb page. I pointed this out repeatedly, but was ignored. A year or so later I checked and found that the errant photo had finally been removed.

Clearly they decided he was Black Irish.

Bob
New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

Return to Talking About Silents