NEW KICKSTARTER: MARION DAVIES in BURIED TREASURE (1921)

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: NEW KICKSTARTER: MARION DAVIES in BURIED TREASURE (1921)

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Funding just hit $2505 with 94 contributors. Still 13 days to contribute. Don't wait until the last minute!

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

JFK

NEW RIP-SNORTER: MARION DAVIES in BURIED TREASURE (1921)

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Last edited by JFK on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drednm

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Never saw that one before.... great colors!

Two updates:

Music for BURIED TREASURE will be my original score ... but arranged and performed by David Drazin. Since I can't read/write music (I play be ear), poor David has to learn the pieces by listening to my audio files! I'm sure this will be a one-time thing.

For an extra, I'll also be including the 2 reels of Davies' THE BELLE OF NEW YORK (1919) for which I made all new intertitles and have provided a brief plot outline. There are some sequencing problems but minor enough so that I didn't tinker. Most notable, perhaps, are two nightclub scenes (Davies is not in these) that were filmed at Ziegfeld's famous club atop the New Amsterdam Theater. These numbers, staged (maybe directed) by Ziegfeld himself were extracted from whatever "Midnight Frolic" was happening in 1919. Brief but eye-catching. Some nice footage of Davies and her leading man Raymond Bloomer. I did the music for this one too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... =user_menu
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

drednm

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 am

Work in progress

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Spiny Norman

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm

I didn't know you were a composer!

My previous question still stands, in case you want to become an accountant too.
This is nøt å signåture.™

boblipton

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pm

I see that there are now 100 contributors to this project, with more than a week to go. That doesn't mean you should get in on it.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Tommy Stathes

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Now, many people are going to think it's rude and ungrateful to say so, but it's a bit of a weak spot that the budget is not specified at all. In professional business, people wouldn't get away with that. Reportedly a question about this simply went unanswered (I saw the project getting mentioned in a few other places). Don't get me wrong, I shake my head whenever I find cheap editions that used the first bit of PD music they could find so investing in a proper score, and things like that, is definitely a good thing.

Aside from the fact that I'm unaware of exactly what goes into Mr. Lorusso's projects behind the scenes, and that I cannot speak for anyone else who does this kind of work other than myself, I'm curious about the inquiry regarding a specified budget—especially with such a relatively low overall funding goal for a video release project.

I cannot remember the last time Alpha Video, Kit Parker Films, Warner Archive, or Milestone published an itemized budget concerning one of their home video releases. I would also not expect them to produce such information if asked by someone not directly involved with the production. I think the same goes for practically any product I might find in a store, or any piece of intellectual property I might enjoy in another venue.
Founder of the Bray Animation Project
http://brayanimation.weebly.com
Personal site: http://tommyjose.com

Help Save Early Animation!

Thad Komorowski

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:03 am

$2,000 is a pretty basic cost to get a 70 min. film out of limbo and into shape for a home video release, and it'd be even more for some basic restoration. I was going to say that a Blu-Ray option is a must in 2017, but it's not a deal breaker apparently. Good for Ed!

drednm

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 am

Just a couple days to go..... This may well be my final Marion Davies project as the rest of her silents are copyrighted or have other major obstacles.

I actually received a brief note from ... William Randolph Hearst III who was interested in obtaining a copy of Davies' The Restless Sex. Seems there's some interest on his part in Davies and his grandfather's work as a film producer (consistently underrated).
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

bobfells

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Mr. Lorusso isn't asking anybody for $2,000. The deal is that if you donate $25 you get the DVD in a nice case, with nice artwork, a nice original music score, and postage is included. For a specialty item such as this, it seems a good deal. I understand the larger question of what happens to all the donations that exceed the $2,000 goal? Whether Mr.L puts it to good use or puts it in is pocket, that doesn't concern me. All that concerns me is that if the project meets its goal, and I pay $25, I want to receive the movie.

boblipton

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 pm

drednm wrote:Just a couple days to go..... This may well be my final Marion Davies project as the rest of her silents are copyrighted or have other major obstacles.

I actually received a brief note from ... William Randolph Hearst III who was interested in obtaining a copy of Davies' The Restless Sex. Seems there's some interest on his part in Davies and his grandfather's work as a film producer (consistently underrated).

Did he contribute $25?

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 7:36 pm

boblipton wrote:
drednm wrote:Just a couple days to go..... This may well be my final Marion Davies project as the rest of her silents are copyrighted or have other major obstacles.

Did he contribute $25?

Bob

Not toward the current project.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects