THE RESTLESS SEX (1920) Kickstarter Launched

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

drednm

Re: THE RESTLESS SEX (1920) Kickstarter Launched

PostSat May 02, 2015 6:33 am

OK... Bought a new software and using the original DVD from the film archive.

I can also try uploading file to YT or wetransfer.com (might have to do it in 2 or 3 sections) and then you can download and burn your own DVD.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

entredeuxguerres

PostSat May 02, 2015 7:25 am

Since the problem reported by others has not been visible on your viewing equipment (or mine), would it be useful to send a test disk, recorded with your new software, to one of those who had trouble with Enchantment? Would reveal whether the new software cured the disease.

boblipton

PostSun May 03, 2015 2:25 pm

One of the reasons I love these Kickstarter projects is I feel the best way to preserve these films is through a multiplicity of copies of any sort. One hundred people have now contributed to this project, means about a hundred extra copies of The Restless Sex in existence.
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

drednm

PostMon May 04, 2015 11:48 am

The ENCHANTMENT file I uploaded to YT apparently worked for one friend who says he no longer sees the jagged lines. SO.... if anyone else who's had troubles wants to download the YT file, send me your email address and I'll invite you..... THANKS

Ed
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostMon May 04, 2015 4:46 pm

With four days left for people to pledge money to the Kickstarter campaign, I've been wondering, Ed, if you have noticed any difference in the process? I don't mean the question about whether you feel you know what you're doing more than last time -- I would imagine that you feel a bit more confident about the process, having been through it before. I was wondering if you feel there is a different sense of how difficult the money is to raise this time, as well as any thoughts for others who are considering trying to raise money for a similar project.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

drednm

PostMon May 04, 2015 5:14 pm

LOL.... Well jagged lines aside, I think the hardest part is finding a film, since it needs to fulfill 3 criteria: must be complete, must be in decent shape, must have a name star. Now if you're Ben Model or some other high-profile professional, you can probably get a project funded without the 3 criteria. But if you are a totally unknown, you need the 3 criteria to attract supporters. My guess is that if I had tried to "rescue" a Constance Binney film, or a film missing a major portion, it would be have been very difficult to fund a project... at least one that requires a couple thousand dollars.

Enchantment was pure luck. The film was already restored, and Donald Sosin had already composed a score for the film. While the HD Files were expensive, the music was a bargain. For The Restless Sex, I bought the already-digitized files because the film had not be restored, only preserved. The music score will be from scratch, which I think is very exciting.

The single hardest piece of the puzzle is to find a film. I relied on the knowledge and opinions of LOC staff and Ben Model (who coincidentally had actually seen the film) and lucked out again.

The other bugaboo is of course the copyright issues. Even is a film is in the public domain, that doesn't mean there aren't donor restrictions. So unless you want to partake in a legal romp through copyright land, you pretty much need to find a film that has no copyright issues.

I even lucked out with Getting Mary Married but probably botched it by lowering my sights and going solo. That was before I had heard of Kickstarter.

I would strongly encourage others to try this. Find a film and go for it. Ben has certainly proved there is support out there for projects with actors few have heard of (Marcel Perez). I am still amazed at the level of support.

And yes a I have a few ideas for future projects.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Darren Nemeth

PostWed May 06, 2015 1:18 pm

drednm wrote:The ENCHANTMENT file I uploaded to YT apparently worked for one friend who says he no longer sees the jagged lines. SO.... if anyone else who's had troubles wants to download the YT file, send me your email address and I'll invite you..... THANKS

Ed

The low resolution of a YouTube video would obscure the artifacts.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

entredeuxguerres

PostWed May 06, 2015 2:40 pm

drednm wrote:LOL.... Well jagged lines aside, I think the hardest part is finding a film...

But equally difficult, to consider the "finished product," must be securing a first-class score (unless your name is Ben Model, Rodney Sauer, or someone else competent to do it themselves). I have copies of numerous pictures that satisfy those three criteria admirably, yet remain unwatchable, as far as I'm concerned, due to slap-dash, incompetent, or otherwise lousy, scores.

boblipton

PostSun May 10, 2015 4:12 am

Ed hasn't formally noted it here, so I'll muck things up by doing it.The project has funded with more than $2900 pledged.

As some one who pledged enough to get a copy of the dvd, I would like to acknowledge the generosity of those who donated, but not enough to receive a copy. I'm getting something out of it, while those who kicked in money did so out of pure generosity.Thank you.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

drednm

PostSun May 10, 2015 5:51 am

boblipton wrote:Ed hasn't formally noted it here, so I'll muck things up by doing it.The project has funded with more than $2900 pledged.

As some one who pledged enough to get a copy of the dvd, I would like to acknowledge the generosity of those who donated, but not enough to receive a copy. I'm getting something out of it, while those who kicked in money did so out of pure generosity.Thank you.

Bob

Yup the project is now closed and Kickstarter goes thru its "housekeeping" in charging credit cards, dispersing fees and depositing the remainder in my Amazon account. So far as I know the pledges are frozen in that they can't be changed (just charged to credit cards) and no new pledges will be accepted. I noticed a few that came in after the gong. The supporter list is at 113.

Thanks to all. Now Donald has the ball in his court .... LOL
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

silentsaregolden

PostSat May 16, 2015 11:43 am

Ed,
I know you've reached your goal, but I'd like to kick in $25 and get a copy. How do I do that at this time?
Tim

Gagman 66

PostSun May 17, 2015 1:01 am

:o I just sent Ed a check. You should be able to do the same. My understanding is any additional funds would go toward the next rescue project and you still should get a DVD. By the way Ed, don't forget that I just moved less then a month ago. My new address should have been on the envelope that I mailed to you if I recall correctly?

drednm

PostSun May 17, 2015 5:25 am

Jeff I never looked at the envelope but I'll get your updated address as we approach delivery time. Right now, Kickstarter is in its "14 day" cycle of collecting pledges, paying out fees, etc. So I haven't seen a penny yet.

I'll be upgrading to DVD cases with art for USA supporters. The art will also be available to non-USA supporters via email or such. I've already done the cover art so that part is done.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects