THE RESTLESS SEX (1920) Kickstarter Launched

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

drednm

Re: THE RESTLESS SEX (1920) Kickstarter Launched

PostFri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 am

Broken $1,900 !!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

drednm

PostSat Apr 18, 2015 1:21 pm

$98 to go..... thanks to some great supporters!!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostSun Apr 19, 2015 10:43 am

PROJECT FUNDED!!

THANKS, ALL!!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostSun Apr 19, 2015 11:47 am

Congratulations and let's hope that people keep coming on board so we can get some extras.... or at least have a few bucks left over at the end of the work.

Now, get to work.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Gagman 66

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Ed,

:o I still mailed a $25.00 check this morning, for a copy, and you can put the money towards the next project. Maybe something with Colleen? Still moving, but hope to be settled in before the end of the week.

entredeuxguerres

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:Ed,

:o I still mailed a $25.00 check this morning, for a copy, and you can put the money towards the next project. Maybe something with Colleen?

So sorry, Jeff...Bebe is already ahead of her.

boblipton

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 am

Even though pledges for the project have crossed the $2200 threshold, additional money keeps dribbling in. Would you care, Ed, to offer us any insights as to potential extras and how much money would be needed for each?

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 6:07 am

boblipton wrote:Even though pledges for the project have crossed the $2200 threshold, additional money keeps dribbling in. Would you care, Ed, to offer us any insights as to potential extras and how much money would be needed for each?

Bob

About the only extra I can offer will be a DVD case with art for domestic shipping. I still haven't figured out the menu and chapter thing. I'll leave that to the pros....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 am

The extra should be Ed goes out for a nice dinner.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

martin arias

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 am

I agree with Mike. By the way, me being abroad, I'd love to receive a jpg or pdf of that artwork Ed is doing, just to printi it myself!

drednm

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 8:13 am

There may not be much "extra" in any case.... Remember that both Kickstarter and Amazon assess fees and that the total is a fluid thing. Some people cancel pledges or reduce the amount pledged. So the project only funds on May 8 if the total is still over the $2,200 mark.

If I do cases and cover art, I can certainly supply a jpeg for those who want it. I'm still working on the "art" as we speak....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

martin arias

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 8:18 am

thanks!

boblipton

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 9:42 am

Mike Gebert wrote:The extra should be Ed goes out for a nice dinner.

You're absolutely right! Ed, any reports on Pete's Pig Southern Barbequeue?

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 11:54 am

boblipton wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:The extra should be Ed goes out for a nice dinner.

You're absolutely right! Ed, any reports on Pete's Pig Southern Barbequeue?

Bob

LOL never had it... barbecue not my fave......
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Oh... and my error.... the extras in the film along with Norma Shearer, are her sister Athole, and her MOTHER Edith....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

SilentsPlease

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Ed, have you found a fix for the jagged edges on the DVD picture as shown on your "Enchantment" DVD? I don't expect you to go back to fix "Enchantment", but will you be capable of making sure "The Restless Sex" DVD won't have such a problem?

You may recall we had a fruitless discussion a few months ago in which you neither offered a fix nor even acknowledged the jagged edges existed. Well, look at this post by our forum mod, who also said he had seen the jagged edges. Maybe that should finally convince you that what I had told you had been right all along. And to all those who had doubted me, you should THANK me for educating you on something you were INCAPABLE of seeing yourselves.

And Ed, if you can't fix the problem, then just say you can't fix it. Is it so hard to admit you can't do something?

You need to understand the significance of this, which is that if you don't fix this issue, you are likely going to ruin the picture of every film you are going to get your hands on from now on, and that is a petrifying thought.

And what's frustrating me is that this is NOT REALLY A TOUGH PROBLEM TO FIX. Seems tough to you, maybe. But any beginner using FREEWARE DVD software can produce artifact-free DVD picture.

Seeing that you can't even admit your problem, you're likely equally reluctant to look for ways to solve it. In that case, can someone from Grapevine, Flicker Alley, Blackhawk, etc., or anyone from independent outfits who are lurking here, PLEASE CONSIDER taking over this guy's work? I'm NOT ready to look forward to one classic film getting ruined after another, and I'm sure neither are you.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I can see them on one machine, which also does it on at least one manufactured disc from a label whose owner posts here, and does some quirky things in other areas too.

So it's an issue that exists, yes... under certain, relatively rare and machine-specific apparently, circumstances.

So don't drag me into bashing someone whose work has satisfied plenty of other people. But since you've asked so nicely :roll: I'm sure resolving this issue will be very high on Ed's to-do list.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Changsham

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 7:28 pm

My disc of Enchantment plays well on my crappy Chinese no name DVD player but shows jagged edges on my Blu Ray player. Not that it bothered me much. Just greatfull to have access to this rare title which by and large looks excellent. Great first effort.

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 7:45 pm

drednm wrote:Oh... and my error.... the extras in the film along with Norma Shearer, are her sister Athole, and her MOTHER Edith....

Them's enough for me; and listen...Edith (in A Clouded Name) was not a bad piece o' work.

But poor Athole--saddled with such a name, no wonder she succumbed to mental problems later in life.

Mitch Farish

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 am

SilentsPlease wrote: any beginner using FREEWARE DVD software can produce artifact-free DVD picture.

Seeing that you can't even admit your problem, you're likely equally reluctant to look for ways to solve it. In that case, can someone from Grapevine, Flicker Alley, Blackhawk, etc., or anyone from independent outfits who are lurking here, PLEASE CONSIDER taking over this guy's work? I'm NOT ready to look forward to one classic film getting ruined after another, and I'm sure neither are you.

You can do a Kickstarter project yourself. Isn't that the American way - competition? If you won't do it yourself, after explaining how easy it is, you shouldn't say anything at all.

boblipton

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 7:45 am

I'm posting this as a reminder, in case you are interested in getting the DVD, that this has funded, Ed will be producing it -- don't make a liar of me, Ed! and there's only a week left to pledge money so you have bragging rights that you made it possible.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 am

I have a few things to tinker with while I wait for Donald to return from vacation. And that's about it. I already did the cover art if I upgrade to DVD cases.

A few things that occur to me as I finish this project.

1. Of the existing Davies films, in how many does she play a married woman? Only one I can think of is Not So Dumb. She GETS married in the endings of many, but she almost never plays a wife.

2. In how many films she play a mother? Only one I can think of is The Restless Sex. Interesting to note that this film was released September 1920; Patricia Van Cleve was born June 1919 (according to some). Is the baby in the film Patricia?

3. In how many films did she appear with kids? Only one I can think of is Zander the Great where she tends to a fellow orphan. In Little Old New York she makes faces at a girl (she's playing a boy).

4. The persistent rumors likely prevented Davies from ever playing the "other woman," a divorcee, a mother (wed or unwed), etc., and rarely ever a wife. A conscious choice by Hearst/Davies to keep the public's mind off their situation by never allowing Davies to play these types of women?

5. There probably are quite a few, but how many lead actresses of the day hit 40 years of age and played so few mothers and wives? Someone, and of course I can't remember who, always said that playing a mother would be the end of her career.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

entredeuxguerres

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 12:08 pm

drednm wrote:...2. In how many films she play a mother? Only one I can think of is The Restless Sex...

Actually, I'm rather depressed to hear she made this exception to her general rule, as it's the brat-factor which gravely impairs my enjoyment of several of the pictures of Kay Francis, Ann Harding, & certain other favorites. At least, given the date, I presume you can't be talking about another infliction of H'woods' favorite brat, Little Dickie Moore! Oh, say it ain't him again!

drednm

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 pm

entredeuxguerres wrote:
drednm wrote:...2. In how many films she play a mother? Only one I can think of is The Restless Sex...

Actually, I'm rather depressed to hear she made this exception to her general rule, as it's the brat-factor which gravely impairs my enjoyment of several of the pictures of Kay Francis, Ann Harding, & certain other favorites. At least, given the date, I presume you can't be talking about another infliction of H'woods' favorite brat, Little Dickie Moore! Oh, say it ain't him again!

No it's just an unnamed goo-goo baby.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

DavidWelling

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:I can see them on one machine, which also does it on at least one manufactured disc from a label whose owner posts here, and does some quirky things in other areas too.

So it's an issue that exists, yes... under certain, relatively rare and machine-specific apparently, circumstances.

So don't drag me into bashing someone whose work has satisfied plenty of other people. But since you've asked so nicely :roll: I'm sure resolving this issue will be very high on Ed's to-do list.

First off, Ed, let me congratulate you on bringing Enchantment back to those of us who might not otherwise see it. Likewise, I am very excited about The Restless Sex. I think you have done an outstanding job.

As to the jagged edges, I too had that problem. Just to be sure it was not an equipment issue, I tried on two separate blu-ray players, a DVD player and two separate TVs. You kindly sent me a replacement disc which also had the same problem. The jagged edges did not seem to be apparent when TCM ran it.

I sincerely hope that this can be resolved for The Restless Sex as I am a fan of your efforts in helping to bring these hard-to-find titles to those who don't have the Library of Congress in their back yard.

drednm

PostThu Apr 30, 2015 8:01 pm

David I have no idea what the problem is. The copies I made and spot checked do not have the jagged lines, yet several people see jagged lines when they play the film. I don't understand why making a copy would degrade the film in such a manner, but I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of copying video files, which I do all the time with no such effects. I even stopped copying disks and copied only from a seemingly good file stored on an external drive. Whether that helped I have no idea. From what I have heard, of the hundred or so copies I made, only a few have these jagged lines. The copy I uploaded to YT does not have jagged lines.

So unless some professional comes forward who has access to professional equipment (if that's the problem), there is no solution. There's nothing else I can do. The video I sent to TCM did not have jagged lines. The film they aired did not have jagged lines. The taping from the TCM broadcast I got did not have jagged lines.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Darren Nemeth

PostFri May 01, 2015 12:53 pm

drednm wrote:David I have no idea what the problem is. The copies I made and spot checked do not have the jagged lines, yet several people see jagged lines when they play the film. I don't understand why making a copy would degrade the film in such a manner, but I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of copying video files, which I do all the time with no such effects. I even stopped copying disks and copied only from a seemingly good file stored on an external drive. Whether that helped I have no idea. From what I have heard, of the hundred or so copies I made, only a few have these jagged lines. The copy I uploaded to YT does not have jagged lines.

So unless some professional comes forward who has access to professional equipment (if that's the problem), there is no solution. There's nothing else I can do. The video I sent to TCM did not have jagged lines. The film they aired did not have jagged lines. The taping from the TCM broadcast I got did not have jagged lines.

The DVD-R that you sent me of the TCM broadcast has the jagged edges. It may be the res of the monitor that you are viewing it with that obscures it. Three that I have here show the jagged edges. It is in the encoding of the video of the software that is doing this.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri May 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Scientific method time. Someone take a disc that is known to show the jaggies (A) on their own machine (1), and compare it to the disc of someone whose disc does NOT show the jaggies (B), on the machine (2) that is known to show the disc without jaggies.

If A + 2 = no jaggies, then we know the discs aren't faulty in the conventional sense, but apparently the coding has some issue that comes out once in a while on some devices.

In any case, if there's some forum that has the answer rather than questions, it's probably something other than this one.

Mitch Farish

PostFri May 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Has anybody noticed that Womanhandled as presented on Treasures 5: The West, 1898-1938 has the "jaggies?" At least on my player and computer screen it does. This isn't something that just afflicts amateurs.

Arndt

PostSat May 02, 2015 4:09 am

My ENCHANTMENT disc shows those ragged edges as well. They are a little distracting at first.
MELIOR
PreviousNext

Return to Crowdfunding Projects