KICKSTARTER: Little Orphant Annie (1918) COLLEEN MOORE

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

drednm

Re: KICKSTARTER: Little Orphant Annie (1918) COLLEEN MOORE

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 4:45 am

CoffeeDan wrote:When I last looked, you were $48 short, so I pledged $50 to put you over the top.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'RE THERE! NOW GET BUSY!!

Good news..... but there's a 2-week wait for the actual money to show up....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

WaverBoy

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 5:13 am

We made it, with two days to spare. Congrats Eric!!! I'm really excited to see how this restoration turns out, and especially excited to see yet another film with Colleen that has been effectively lost for decades. A huge thank you to you and your team for taking this on.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 7:02 am

What delightful news to wake up to -- Congratulations, Mr. Grayson!
-- Charlie Morrow

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 10:56 am

Congrats, Eric!! Any chance of seeing it here (Indy) at the Toby?

Gagman 66

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 12:26 am

:D Wonderful!!! I really did allot of promoting on this effort. So pleased to learn that it paid off! Congratulations to everyone involved! Can't wait to see the results!

Richard Warner

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 1:07 am

Well done Eric and richly deserved!
Don't forget folks, there's still time to bump up your pledge by a few dollars so that Eric has a bit of a safety net.
Plus there's Little Mickey Grogan and Bobby Bumps. All you have to do is cut back on life's little luxuries for a while, like food, clothes and soap. You know it makes sense.....

Stephen Terrill

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 7:50 am

drednm wrote:I wasn't doubting the total needed, I just thought it was too high for a Kickstarter project. At $25 a pledge, that requires 400 people. That's a lot, especially when a Kickstarter project is all or nothing. Other crowdfunding sites allow you to keep whatever is pledged. Even Ben Model's hugely successful Marion Davies project got 317 backers. My five campaigns have attracted between 82 and 159 backers. 400 is an awful lot.

As I said, I backed your campaign and re-posted the campaign at other sites. It's a great project.

The producers of these types of projects need to take note of what is being offered--some restoration with blu-ray quality seems to be more of an incentive for people to contribute than just a quick and basic scan to DVD project. Just take a look at the breakdown on the Little Orphant Annie contributions-43 people pledged $25 for the DVD, while 117 have pledged $30 for the Blu-ray (and another 21 pledged $50 for the combo pack).

BenModel

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 10:15 am

As one of "the producers of these types of projects", I can say that I have found that there is something beyond just the work that is being done for the project that is an incentive, and in my experience it doesn't always have to do with the content. Who the heck ever heard of Musty Suffer or Marcel Perez? Those KS projects, as well as 3 volumes of "Accidentally Preserved" -- also with mostly lesser-knowns or unknowns -- had around 120 backers and surpassed their funding goals; the Perez kickstarter funded in 48 hours.

What's reassuring and encouraging is that there seems to be a growing trend in the success of DIY/guerilla restoration/distribution projects thanks to crowdfunding over the last few years, and that more films deserving of being tidied up and made available for fans are being produced and distributed.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

drednm

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 10:33 am

BenModel wrote:As one of "the producers of these types of projects", I can say that I have found that there is something beyond just the work that is being done for the project that is an incentive, and in my experience it doesn't always have to do with the content. Who the heck ever heard of Musty Suffer or Marcel Perez? Those KS projects, as well as 3 volumes of "Accidentally Preserved" -- also with mostly lesser-knowns or unknowns -- had around 120 backers and surpassed their funding goals; the Perez kickstarter funded in 48 hours.

What's reassuring and encouraging is that there seems to be a growing trend in the success of DIY/guerilla restoration/distribution projects thanks to crowdfunding over the last few years, and that more films deserving of being tidied up and made available for fans are being produced and distributed.

Ben

Well said, Ben. The backers are out there. Some of us "producers of these types of projects" don't have the technical staff or producing partners to offer anything but a DVD. I still don't even own a BLU player, so I'm not likely to offer anything but a DVD for the foreseeable future. For those who can offer bells and whistles, that's just fine. Not all of these projects are restored, pristine copies of films to start with, in which case creating BLU would seemingly be a waste of time and money.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Stephen Terrill

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am

BenModel wrote:As one of "the producers of these types of projects", I can say that I have found that there is something beyond just the work that is being done for the project that is an incentive, and in my experience it doesn't always have to do with the content. Who the heck ever heard of Musty Suffer or Marcel Perez? Those KS projects, as well as 3 volumes of "Accidentally Preserved" -- also with mostly lesser-knowns or unknowns -- had around 120 backers and surpassed their funding goals; the Perez kickstarter funded in 48 hours.

Ben

I agree with everything you said, but the point I was trying to make is that when someone such as yourself is considering budgets and Kickstarter goals, there does seem to be an appetite for higher quality releases. And when I am talking about higher quality releases, I am referring to stuff that had a higher than normal budget, like When Knighthood Was in Flower and the mega-budget on Little Orphant Annie. Of course, not all releases merit the bigger budgets for various reasons, but it is something to consider on a case by case basis.

Stephen Terrill

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 am

drednm wrote:
Well said, Ben. The backers are out there. Some of us "producers of these types of projects" don't have the technical staff or producing partners to offer anything but a DVD. I still don't even own a BLU player, so I'm not likely to offer anything but a DVD for the foreseeable future. For those who can offer bells and whistles, that's just fine. Not all of these projects are restored, pristine copies of films to start with, in which case creating BLU would seemingly be a waste of time and money.

To me, in this niche area of rare and obscure silent films Blu-ray is less about getting something pristine and more about getting something that comes closer to approximating the 35mm or 16mm source. Certainly, sometimes (and maybe more often than not) a no frills DVD release is all that is warranted, but the technology/quality has come a long way since DVD debuted nearly 20 years ago. And if a 2k scan is being done for the project by the Library of Congress or whoever, it is unfortunate that a Blu-ray release is not even considered when it appears that there is sufficient interest for such a higher quality release.

Richard Warner

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 am

Surely a lot of it depends on how good your eyesight and equipment are and how you started out. I'm a Magoo type with an ordinary TV, DVD player and Blu-Ray player. I started out, like so many others here, with 8mm so it's ALL wonderful to me. I can tell the difference between SD and HD, but I'm still not convinced I can tell the difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray.
I have all of Ben's Undercrank DVD releases and the quality is excellent.
One other point - the statistics for Little Orphant Annie could be misleading. I think that many, myself included, upgraded to a bigger and better reward because we all wanted for this to happen!
Richard

drednm

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Stephen Terrill wrote:
drednm wrote:

To me, in this niche area of rare and obscure silent films Blu-ray is less about getting something pristine and more about getting something that comes closer to approximating the 35mm or 16mm source. Certainly, sometimes (and maybe more often than not) a no frills DVD release is all that is warranted, but the technology/quality has come a long way since DVD debuted nearly 20 years ago. And if a 2k scan is being done for the project by the Library of Congress or whoever, it is unfortunate that a Blu-ray release is not even considered when it appears that there is sufficient interest for such a higher quality release.

A good print on DVD is just fine for my purposes. I suspect most KS supporters would rather have that than the nothing they would have had if the DVD project had not been launched.

If the KS market will support a BLU-only project, so be it. Launch away!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

mwalls

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I went with Blu because it meant chipping in a little extra towards the goal. I might be able to see a difference in quality, but to me the difference between Blu and the DVD is not overwhelming. If I were to have had a few extra bucks this month, I was seriously considering the $200 contribution in order to have the 30 minutes of Facetime to discuss the project and anything else that came to mind. I am interested in restoration, film, etc., and sometimes people who do these projects offer information that would be interesting to learn firsthand in a call. The only critique I could make was that for a half-hour call, maybe $100 would have been nice. I might have been extra tempted at that level.

Matthew

Stephen Terrill

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 3:01 pm

drednm wrote:
A good print on DVD is just fine for my purposes. I suspect most KS supporters would rather have that than the nothing they would have had if the DVD project had not been launched.

If the KS market will support a BLU-only project, so be it. Launch away!

Who said anything about a Blu ray only project?

Richard Warner

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 am

Stephen Terrill wrote:

Nobody really, but it would be a good way of testing out your theories.Why don't you launch one yourself?
It would be far more constructive than pouring cold water over the efforts of others, intentionally or otherwise.

Stephen Terrill

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Richard Warner wrote:
Stephen Terrill wrote:

Nobody really, but it would be a good way of testing out your theories.Why don't you launch one yourself?
It would be far more constructive than pouring cold water over the efforts of others, intentionally or otherwise.

That's a Straw Man argument, as I have not advocated anything beyond providing a choice between Blu ray and DVD in SOME cases.

Battra92

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am

I need to check this site more often. I seem to miss these fun projects. :-/

Here's hoping you will sell them after they are all done. :)

boblipton

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 am

I see that the restored version will be shown next month in Indiana. Congratulations all around and if you're interested in and able to go see it, take a looking in the "Silent Screenings" section.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am

boblipton wrote:I see that the restored version will be shown next month in Indiana. Congratulations all around and if you're interested in and able to go see it, take a looking in the "Silent Screenings" section.

Bob

Thanks! I'll be there. Sounds like an interesting evening. I have an old VHS of this film, and it's so beat up it's nearly unwatchable, so I'll be particularly interested in seeing how Eric has preserved it.

WaverBoy

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 am

boblipton wrote:I see that the restored version will be shown next month in Indiana. Congratulations all around and if you're interested in and able to go see it, take a looking in the "Silent Screenings" section.

Bob

I hope this means the Blu-ray release is in sight!

Eric Grayson

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 am

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This project has been long delayed with technical problems with the Blu-Ray process. However, I am proud to announce that the Kickstarter thank-yous are SHIPPING NOW.

If you are a Kickstarter backer, you have received a survey asking for an address for shipping. Please fill this out as soon as you can. We are sending out these premiums before the film is shipped on Amazon.

Extras:
1) A commentary track by Jeff Codori, author of Colleen's biography.
2) A commentary track on the restoration by yours truly and Glory-June Greiff (who adds some Riley history)
3) Footage of the Delphi premiere.
4) Glory reading the poems and some prose that inspired the movie (on a stage where Riley once stood)
5) Score by Ben Model.

Eric

tthacker

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

I picked up my copy at Cinevent and watched it over this past weekend. Didn't quite know what to expect, but I enjoyed it very much. Great work, Eric!

Danny Burk

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am

Sounds good, Eric - looking forward to it.

I didn't receive a survey or address request. If you need mine, send me a PM. Thanks.

Eric Grayson

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 3:30 pm

I see that in fact you did not respond to the survey, so I sent you a direct message to your email. I will be doing this for those few people who have not responded yet in the upcoming days.

Eric Grayson

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 pm

@Tom Thacker: Glad you enjoyed it. In many ways, Annie is quite ahead of its time.

Eric

Gagman 66

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Eric,

:o Err, I was just going to ask if my copy had been shipped yet? Didn't know anything about a survey. Can't I just give you the info in a PM either here or over on Facebook??? Incidentally, I see where the new restoration of Fairbanks THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1921) will premiere on TCM September 10th.

drednm

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 am

I've never received anything..... When were these mailed out?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Eric Grayson

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 am

They are IN TRANSIT NOW. There were a couple of people who got theirs early because we had them at Columbus.

Eric Grayson

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:06 am

Again, if you did not get the survey, which was sent out a couple of weeks ago now, please either PM me or Facebook me, but I've now gotten several people who filled out the survey AND PMed me.

I know you're anxious to get these, but the post office only works so fast.

I am going to go through the list of non-responders and email them individually, but this may take a bit of time. Please understand that there are hundreds of these. I promise to get to everyone; each one is important, but there are only so many hours in the day!

Eric
PreviousNext

Return to Crowdfunding Projects