Marcel Perez vol2 -- new Kickstarter

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: Marcel Perez vol2 -- new Kickstarter

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I saw him yesterday at MOMA and did so.

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

boblipton

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 am

I've finished looking at the disc this morning, and I've written IMDB reviews for those I have not previously seen. Two of those, for the two most complete films, I've posted to the "What's the Last Silent Movie You Saw" thread. However, I think my thoughts on the two-minute fragment of Friday, the 13th (1923) belong here.

All that survives of Marcel Perez' last screen performance is a two-minute fragment of him dealing -- unsuccessfully -- with a toothache. After this, he couldn't act any more. He worked as a director and gag man, and died before the silent era ended, his legacy scattered and lost.

Perez came into an industry where the performers were anonymous, and gained some fame playing "Robinet" in Italy, but the character belonged to the studio. So when he came to the United States in 1916, he largely had to start all over again. As Tweedledum, Twede-Dan and Tweedy, he made some fine comedies, but the plethora of names, the fact that he worked for smaller, often poorly established studios, and led what seems to have been an irregular life that he reinvented at every interview, left a biography and corpus of work that was hard to track. In wasn't until about ten years ago that Steve Massa connected the scattered trails. Since then, he and Ben Model have curated two dvds of Perez' surviving works -- the fragment can be seen on THE MARCEL PEREZ COLLECTION vol. 2 -- as well as a book by Steve and shows featuring Perez' movies.

There were many fine screen comics during the silent era, far more than people suspect. Perez was one of them. I hope that the work of Massa & Model will stimulate others into finding more examples of his artistry, and that of the other forgotten artists of a disregarded era.

Thanks for reading. Let me know when the Kickstarter for vol. 3 begins, or any other comic you think needs rescuing from utter oblivion.

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

BenModel

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks for posting reviews of the films on IMDb, and for posting an excerpt here. A volume 3 will happen once more films turn up and/or become available.

I'm convinced that if we put Perez's face on milk cartons that are bought and put in the pantries of all the FIAF archives, we'd turn up a whole bunch of his films. They're out there, but a lot of people just don't know who that guy is in the unidentified American comedy shorts they have.

One of Perez's films that was in the Mogull's 16mm catalog in the 30s/40s is a short called "THE KNOCKOUT". Somewhere there is a print or two in someone's collections that will turn up on eBay from a confused "I don't have a projector so I couldn't preview it" seller listing it as the Keystone.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Battra92

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I can't be the only one who tucked the postcard from Ben inside the DVD case, right?

CoffeeDan

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Right! I've always kept Ben's postcards with my copies of his DVDs.

BenModel

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 am

That's great to hear! I had no idea fans were doing this.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects