Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

Movies Silently

Re: Kickstarter to release "Kidnapped" (1917)

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who backed the project and to Ben for helping to spread the word. :D

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 10:37 am

I've added a stretch goal!

If we reach $7,000, I'll include a booklet with background information, book-to-film discussion and other nerdiness.

Here's the link to my update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ts/2038659

rudyfan

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 am

Movies Silently wrote:I've added a stretch goal!

If we reach $7,000, I'll include a booklet with background information, book-to-film discussion and other nerdiness.

Here's the link to my update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... ts/2038659" target="_blank" target="_blank

Excellent stretch goal! Looks like you will make it, too!

boblipton

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 pm

The stretch goals seem to be slowing things down. Maybe you need to market them like the Sybilline Books.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

BenModel

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:07 pm

This is not unusual after the initial blast of pledges. Things typically pick up again a few days before the campaign ends. But that's just me...

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Ben's right, Kickstarter even has a name for it: the Trough.

They found that most campaigns get spikes at the beginning and spikes at the end and dramatic drops in the middle, which is why they advise against campaigns over 30 days; the extra time is not as big a help as it may seem to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/trends ... d-duration

boblipton

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm sure that's what Tarquin Superbus told himself until he realized he was negotiating with a pazzo Cammorra broad.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

drednm

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I always do a 30-day campaign since I don't have as high a profile as others.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 5:34 pm

drednm wrote:I always do a 30-day campaign since I don't have as high a profile as others.....

Hey, if it ain't broke... ;-)

boblipton

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 am

For those of you who have contributed to the campaign, and haven't paid much attention, the stretch goal of $7,000 -- booklet included with dvd, or made available for download for others -- has been attained. For the rest of you, who go around vaguely hoping that some one will do something about film preservation and making old movies available, and damn it! some one should do something! Here's your chance to damn it! do something.

Finally, to those of you who contributed but not enough for a dvd, you have my especial thanks. You're getting nothing out of it but a thank you or two for real generosity.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

BenModel

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am

Movies Silently wrote:Thanks so much to everyone who backed the project and to Ben for helping to spread the word. :D

Happy to help. This is a great idea for a project -- releasing not only an obscure feature but the entire original Eclipse program!
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

boblipton

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Congratulations to Fritzi on garnering over $7700 from more than 250 contributors with more than eight days to go! Still, there's no reason we can't let her know what a bang-up idea we think this one is by doubling her asked-for $5000!

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks so much, Bob!

We just crossed $8,000 with five days to go, which is more than I ever dreamed. Excellent international response too, which is always fun. Great to see such interest in this little film with no Valentinos or Chaplins or Keatons in the cast, it really shows that there is a demand for a wide variety of silent content.

drednm

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 10:51 am

Movies Silently wrote:Thanks so much, Bob!

We just crossed $8,000 with five days to go, which is more than I ever dreamed. Excellent international response too, which is always fun. Great to see such interest in this little film with no Valentinos or Chaplins or Keatons in the cast, it really shows that there is a demand for a wide variety of silent content.

The real fun comes in packing them up and mailing them !! LOL
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

boblipton

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 12:37 pm

It must be Raymond McKee, Fritzi. We hadn't realized what a huge star Raymond McKee is to the modern audience, probably because of the Smith Family stuff he did for Sennett or perhaps his brilliant supporting turn in With the Assistance of Shep.

With five days left to go, time is starting to run out. I know that people are saying "Yes, I will contribute. I'm just waiting until the last minute because because I won't have the money until then." They don't seem to realize that it doesn't make any difference whether they signed up three seconds after the campaign opened or three seconds before it closes. The money gets charged to their credit card at the same time no matter when, some time after the campaign closes.

There seem to be people who don't realize this, and who delay. In fact, judging by every Kickstarter campaign here, as soon as it closes, some one is going to post "Something's gone wrong. It's not supposed to close until 1 PM, and here it's only 2:47, and they're turning down my money. Can you please send me your address so I can mail you a check?"

DON'T DO IT, FRITZI! Whoever it is, they don't want to mail you a check! They want the location of your secret lair so they can steal the master tapes and cover up their dastardly plot by.... no, it's too dreadful to even speak of. Just don't.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Avram Davidson

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 pm

I also personally like the fact that there is a great kickstarter for other performers that don't have the headliner namesakes that in Hollywood drew so much attention at the box office. Give character actors and others that were good entertainers in their time their do diligence.

Regards,
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm

drednm wrote:
The real fun comes in packing them up and mailing them !! LOL

I am presently awash in puffy envelopes. :lol:

boblipton wrote:It must be Raymond McKee, Fritzi. We hadn't realized what a huge star Raymond McKee is to the modern audience, probably because of the Smith Family stuff he did for Sennett or perhaps his brilliant supporting turn in With the Assistance of Shep.

I was wrong to doubt the power of McKee. :mrgreen:

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:I also personally like the fact that there is a great kickstarter for other performers that don't have the headliner namesakes that in Hollywood drew so much attention at the box office. Give character actors and others that were good entertainers in their time their do diligence.

Oh yes, definitely. And I would also add studios as late-1910s Edison features seem to be relatively ignored.

Movies Silently

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 am

24 hours to go!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Several days ago I made a mental note to pledge. But as Sam Goldwyn said, mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on. (Or something like that, which he probably didn't say anyhow.) And the time almost slipped away, but fortunately Ben put out a reminder, so . . .

-- I'm in! -- And really looking forward to seeing these films, each and every one of them. What a fun project, and thanks for much for doing it!
-- Charlie Morrow

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 am

Been out of the country and just now saw this. I'm in and a happy camper about it. There were only 3 hours left to pledge, so I just made it, evidently. Congratulations, Fritzi! And welcome to the board, too.

boblipton

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 am

Half an hour to go. Ticktickticktick.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

boblipton

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 am

Congratulations, Fritzi, on a successful campaign! 314 people have contributed a total of $9316 towards releasing your proposed Edison program on Blu-Ray and DVD. I look forward to getting my copy in a few weeks, hope you have enough puffy envelopes and wish to offer my particular thanks to the 7 people who contributed money with no no reward but thanks.

Bob

-- Avram Davidson

Movies Silently

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:And really looking forward to seeing these films, each and every one of them. What a fun project, and thanks for much for doing it!

Thank you so much! Ben saves the day! I LOVE what I've seen so far and I hope you will too.

R Michael Pyle wrote:Been out of the country and just now saw this.

Lovely to have you!

boblipton wrote:Congratulations, Fritzi, on a successful campaign! 314 people have contributed a total of $9316 towards releasing your proposed Edison program on Blu-Ray and DVD. I look forward to getting my copy in a few weeks, hope you have enough puffy envelopes and wish to offer my particular thanks to the 7 people who contributed money with no no reward but thanks.

Thank you! No Bluray, I'm afraid. The films are all on 16mm and there will be very little additional image quality in Bluray. However, I am putting additional funds to good use sprucing up the packaging and I have a few tricks up my sleeve for backers. :D
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects