NEW KICKSTARTER: ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1917)

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

drednm

Re: NEW KICKSTARTER: ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1917)

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm

boblipton wrote:What I like to do -- and no one tell Ed -- is to add a small but random number of pennies to my Kickstarter contribution. The total amount pledged only shows in whole dollars, but the end result is that Ed gets a slightly different total than he expected.

Bob

I noticed....
I'd rather have heat. It's been off since early this morning....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Battra92

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 am

Jim Roots wrote:
boblipton wrote:Funded! Congratulations, Ed.

This doesn’t mean that you should not contribute if you have not already.

Bob

Let's fund a sandwich for Ed! He must be hungry by now!

Jim

If he's ever in Western MA, I know a great sandwich shop! :)

Seriously, though. Congrats! I'll be looking forward to seeing this (and I really need to watch the last one. Gotta find some time for that!)

boblipton

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 am

More than a hundred people have contributed, but you can still make more work for Ed by donating now.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 am

Screen cap from On Dangerous Ground. This scene is supposed to be somewhere in Germany but since the film was shot in Ft. Lee, it's likely the Hudson River. Interesting palisades restaurant with exposed electric lights. There another tier below this one.

Last edited by drednm on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 am

drednm wrote:This scene is supposed to be somewhere in Germany but since the film was shot in Ft. Lee, it's likely the Hudson River. Interesting palisades restaurant with exposed electric lights. There another tier below this one.

Funny, but the minute I saw that picture it reminded me of some scenes in "The Man and the Moment" (1929) with Billie Dove and Rod La Rocque. That was a First National Picture, so probably filmed in California; but I can't seem to find enough info to prove it.

Later addition: Just found out that Billie Dove made some of the scenes off of Catalina Island.

Jim Roots

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 1:17 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Funny, but the minute I saw that picture it reminded me of some scenes in "The Man and the Moment" (1929) with Billie Dove and Rod La Rocque.

How many thousands of other people would say the same thing?

Truly, ours is a rarified community. Or something.

Jim

boblipton

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am

How close are we in pledges to getting a shell case for the disc, Ed?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

boblipton wrote:How close are we in pledges to getting a shell case for the disc, Ed?

Bob

Cases are a go.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:03 am

Here is Stanhope Wheatcroft as Hugo.... Great name!

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Well, Ed, it seems that, despite your assertion that it's been Marion Davies who's been the principal draw for your Kickstarter projects, you've already gotten as many pledges as for the last one. Not that doesn't mean other people shouldn't want to pledge money and reserve their own copy of this intriguing feature.

Bob
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 pm

boblipton wrote:Well, Ed, it seems that, despite your assertion that it's been Marion Davies who's been the principal draw for your Kickstarter projects, you've already gotten as many pledges as for the last one. Not that doesn't mean other people shouldn't want to pledge money and reserve their own copy of this intriguing feature.

Bob

A surprisingly loyal base. I recognize almost all the names of these supporters.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Jim Roots

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 6:27 am

drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:Well, Ed, it seems that, despite your assertion that it's been Marion Davies who's been the principal draw for your Kickstarter projects, you've already gotten as many pledges as for the last one. Not that doesn't mean other people shouldn't want to pledge money and reserve their own copy of this intriguing feature.

Bob

A surprisingly loyal base. I recognize almost all the names of these supporters.

They're all Bob's pseudonyms. Including this one.

(Not the real) Jim

drednm

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 7:45 am

Jim Roots wrote:
drednm wrote:

Bob

(Not the real) Jim

LOL... I guess that explains it!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am

Jim Roots wrote:
drednm wrote:

Bob

(Not the real) Jim

And so is Ed.

Bob
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I finished a first recording of my original piano score for the film today.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

This project has passed Ed’s last Marion Davies project both in number of donors and dollar terms. Clearly Carlyle Blackwell is a bigger draw than Miss Douras. But you won’t find out why unless you contribute.

Bob
— Joe Darion

boblipton

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Hey! Active Kickstarter! Twelve days to go! Give Ed some money!

Bob
— Joe Darion

boblipton

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

Three days to go before this closes. Time is a-running out.

Bob
— Joe Darion

boblipton

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 am

Just a day left. I know some one is waiting until it closes, so he can post that something must be wrong because the system won't let him contribute, but if you're not that guy....

Bob
— Joe Darion

Daveismyhero

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 am

I just got in! There's only 27 hours to go, as of this post, so don't miss out!
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

drednm

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am

Over and out!

Thanks to all who supported this project, and I hope you like the film. I've already dispatched video files to the diskmaker (there's a surprise short film as an extra) and hope to have everything in hand to start sending out copies in early March.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

silentfilm

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

I didn't want to post these reviews until the funding period was over, but On Dangerous Ground (1917) was screened at Cinecon 43 in 2007. I wasn't that impressed with the film a decade ago. Here is what I wrote on alt.movies.silent

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1918) [*1/2] a World War I propaganda film, was filmed at the World (Brady) studios in Fort Lee, New Jersey. An American doctor (Carlyle Blackwell) is visiting Germany when the Germany army conscripts all soldiers to go to war. He travels to Belgium, a country the Germany has invaded. There he meets a Belgian girl (Gail Kane) who poses as his wife. She is a Belgian spy and has stolen the German attack plans. They are captured by the German army, but try to make a harrowing escape. The first ridiculous plot point was that the German's knew that their plans had been compromised by the woman spy, yet it was still vitally important that she get them to the allied army anyway, even though it took her several days to sneak them out of the country. The Germans could have easily changed their plans in the days after their theft. An even more stupid plot device had a German officer letting the woman spy go after he discovers that she is the wife of the doctor, who is shown saving the officer from drowning in a flashback. At least the Huns were not shown killing babies or raping Belgian women, like in some propaganda films.

The late Chris Jacobs had this review...

I also seem to be one of the few who genuinely enjoyed ON DANGEROUS GROUND, despite some of its convenient plot coincidences (or perhaps even because of them). For a World War I film made during the war, it was a fascinating blend of anti-German propaganda and anti-war pro- German sentiment -- certainly a far cry from the typical hate the hun melodrama.

Chris Snowden wrote this...

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (World, 1917) This story of WWI intrigue was released prior to America's entry into that war, and while it doesn't have the rabid Hate-the-Hun theme found in films produced a little later, the bad guys are still Germans. Matinee idol Carlyle Blackwell didn't leave much of an impression, but leading lady Gail Kane (who?) was quite good. Frances Marion's script kept things moving pretty well, and this was about as good as you could really expect a mid-teens programmer to be. **1/2

Having said that, I was a backer of this project, so I'm anxious to see if the film improves on a second viewing.

drednm

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 12:46 pm

silentfilm wrote:I didn't want to post these reviews until the funding period was over, but On Dangerous Ground (1917) was screened at Cinecon 43 in 2007. I wasn't that impressed with the film a decade ago. Here is what I wrote on alt.movies.silent

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (1918) [*1/2] a World War I propaganda film, was filmed at the World (Brady) studios in Fort Lee, New Jersey. An American doctor (Carlyle Blackwell) is visiting Germany when the Germany army conscripts all soldiers to go to war. He travels to Belgium, a country the Germany has invaded. There he meets a Belgian girl (Gail Kane) who poses as his wife. She is a Belgian spy and has stolen the German attack plans. They are captured bye the German army, but try to make a harrowing escape. The first ridiculous plot point was that the German's knew that their plans had been compromised by the woman spy, yet it was still vitally important that she get them to the allied army anyway, even though it took her several days to sneak them out of the country. The Germans could have easily changed their plans in the days after their theft. An even more stupid plot device had a German officer letting the woman spy go after he discovers that she is the wife of the doctor, who is shown saving the officer from drowning in a flashback. At least the Huns were not shown killing babies or raping Belgian women, like in some propaganda films.

The late Chris Jacobs had this review...

I also seem to be one of the few who genuinely enjoyed ON DANGEROUS GROUND, despite some of its convenient plot coincidences (or perhaps even because of them). For a World War I film made during the war, it was a fascinating blend of anti-German propaganda and anti-war pro- German sentiment -- certainly a far cry from the typical hate the hun melodrama.

Chris Snowden wrote this...

ON DANGEROUS GROUND (World, 1917) This story of WWI intrigue was released prior to America's entry into that war, and while it doesn't have the rabid Hate-the-Hun theme found in films produced a little later, the bad guys are still Germans. Matinee idol Carlyle Blackwell didn't leave much of an impression, but leading lady Gail Kane (who?) was quite good. Frances Marion's script kept things moving pretty well, and this was about as good as you could really expect a mid-teens programmer to be. **1/2

Having said that, I was a backer of this project, so I'm anxious to see if the film improves on a second viewing.

Wow, harsh! I ignored the propaganda, which is pretty mild, and concentrated on the "adventure" element. I think it's lighthearted in the vein of April Folly. If taken seriously, it falls apart quickly. But as a way to team Blackwell and Kane in a Romancing the Stone sort of way it works well. Also, I wanted to give Blackwell and Kane, both big stars of the era, a little exposure. All the films of the time didn't star Pickford, Fairbanks, or a Gish.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 am

All materials submitted and okayed at diskmaker's. I should have finished product in hand by end of the month and ready to mail out.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Films are in......

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am

9th Kickstarter is now completed. All copies have been mailed out .... if you gave me an address......

THANKS TO ALL!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

...and it showed up in my mailbox when I got home this afternoon. Something to watch tonight!

Bob
— Joe Darion

silentfilm

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm

I watched Ed's disc of On Dangerous Ground (1917) tonight, and I take back some of my previous criticism. The doctor at the beginning of the film who is Carlyle Blackwell's friend is the same German officer at the end of the film, so his actions seem more plausible. Gail Kane is pretty good in her role, but Blackwell doesn't make much of an impression. Their "romance" is quite rushed. I had one detail wrong too, they are in Germany when war breaks out, and they are trying to escape to Belgium.

The SWEEDIE THE LAUNDRESS (1914) film is pretty incomprehensible, but it is always nice to see Ben Turpin and Leo White in an early comedy.

boblipton

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 am

silentfilm wrote:I watched Ed's disc of On Dangerous Ground (1917) tonight, and I take back some of my previous criticism. The doctor at the beginning of the film who is Carlyle Blackwell's friend is the same German officer at the end of the film, so his actions seem more plausible. Gail Kane is pretty good in her role, but Blackwell doesn't make much of an impression. Their "romance" is quite rushed. I had one detail wrong too, they are in Germany when war breaks out, and they are trying to escape to Belgium.

The SWEEDIE THE LAUNDRESS (1914) film is pretty incomprehensible, but it is always nice to see Ben Turpin and Leo White in an early comedy.

A couple pf the issues of appraising a film at a festival is

1: overload. You're at a film festival to watch films, so you watch films. All the time. Even when you're not really jazzed to watch films. As a result, the films don't really seem so good.

2: Criticism: A slightly different variety of overload, you're comparing it to the seventeen other films you've just seen and need to assign it a slot in ranking, and do it so you don't have to rejigger for the thirteen you are going to see.

Neither of these is the way human beings usually see movies.

As I noted in my review in the WHAT'S THE LATEST SILENT MOVIE YOU'VE SEEN thread, I think it's a pretty good programmer.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 am

silentfilm wrote:I watched Ed's disc of On Dangerous Ground (1917) tonight, and I take back some of my previous criticism. The doctor at the beginning of the film who is Carlyle Blackwell's friend is the same German officer at the end of the film, so his actions seem more plausible. Gail Kane is pretty good in her role, but Blackwell doesn't make much of an impression. Their "romance" is quite rushed. I had one detail wrong too, they are in Germany when war breaks out, and they are trying to escape to Belgium.

Thanks for the reassessment. The backstory seems to imply that the film was rushed (it's also not a big-budget Griffith/DeMille opus) to reach the public just as the US was entering WW I. William Brady (World Film) had been named by Woodrow Wilson to be head of group of filmmakers (including Griffith) to make pro-war films. The propaganda is pretty obvious in On Dangerous Ground. The film was released at the height of the "will we/won't we" war frenzy. The US officially entered the war in April. The plot depended on the US still be neutral. I think it's interesting that the film actually recognizes the strong ties we had to pre-war Germany.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
PreviousNext

Return to Crowdfunding Projects