Dick Van Dyke in The Comic (1969)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

precode

Re: Dick Van Dyke in The Comic (1969)

PostFri Oct 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I have been on this for ages; in fact, I want to make it a double feature with ENTER LAUGHING. I have spoken to Reiner, Van Dyke, Michelle Lee and Reni Santoni, and all have agreed to participate in commentaries. Now I just have to get this greenlight, but as you all know, the catalog DVD market has been getting the cold shoulder from all the majors of late.

Mike S.

wildhoney66

PostThu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm

i have been dying to see this sucker for YEARS! because 'Mickey Rooney" is my favorite actor of all time. & this is one film that i have yet to see of him. one of many that is.

JFK

Dick Van Dyke +C. Reiner The Comic ('69) SONY CHANNEL 12/19

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 am

Dick Van Dyke Carl Reiner The Comic (1969)
Will be on The SONY MOVIE CHANNEL 12/19/2012

THE SONY CHANNEL IS CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED
ON SOME SYSTEMS THIS MONTH FOR FREE

FrankFay

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Richard M Roberts wrote:
gjohnson wrote:SLITHER (73) is hilarious for being an action flick. Caan's low key underplaying is used to good advantage.

I seem to recall that HEARTS OF THE WEST (75) had quite a few airings this past decade on TCM. And by the way, both flicks were directed by the same fella, Howard Zieff. I don't know much about him for he had a rather spotty film career...

Slither (1973)
Hearts of the West (1975)
House Calls (1978)
The Main Event (1979)
Private Benjamin (1980)
Unfaithfully Yours (1984)
The Dream Team (1989)
My Girl (1991)
My Girl 2 (1994)

With that filmography, he deserved a spotty film career. It's all downhill after HOUSE CALLS.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (and just how many movies from the 70's can one be nostalgic about?)

Private Benjamin is quite funny while Hawn is struggling through Basic Training, but it looses steam once she gains competence & her life straightens out. I'd blame the script.
Eric Stott

William D. Ferry

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm

And I'd have to go with UNFAITHFULLY YOURS as another "remake no one asked for and we didn't really need."

Slither (1973)
Hearts of the West (1975)
House Calls (1978)
The Main Event (1979)
Private Benjamin (1980)
Unfaithfully Yours (1984)
The Dream Team (1989)
My Girl (1991)
My Girl 2 (1994)
[/quote]

With that filmography, he deserved a spotty film career. It's all downhill after HOUSE CALLS.

RICHARD M ROBERTS (and just how many movies from the 70's can one be nostalgic about?)[/quote]

Private Benjamin is quite funny while Hawn is struggling through Basic Training, but it looses steam once she gains competence & her life straightens out. I'd blame the script.[/quote]
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

FrankFay

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 8:23 pm

The Dream Team (1989). Such a disappointment. Great cast, not a bad story, but it never catches fire- Christopher Lloyd is the only one who I can recall much about.
Eric Stott

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostWed Dec 12, 2012 8:43 pm

wildhoney66 wrote:i have been dying to see this sucker for YEARS! because 'Mickey Rooney" is my favorite actor of all time. & this is one film that i have yet to see of him. one of many that is.

Getting back to The Comic, Rooney is terrific in his supporting role as Billy Bright's sidekick, especially in their scenes together as old men. Both actors are poignant and funny. The silent comedy recreations and the scenes featuring Van Dyke & Rooney make it worth seeing, but in so many other respects The Comic is one that got away.
-- Charlie Morrow

wildhoney66

PostThu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm

thank you for the heads up i can't remember if we have that channel or not? we have DISH you see. TCM as much as i love that channel and i honestly do. i wish they'd air some of those old Mickey Rooney shorts that he did in the "Mickey McGuire' series from the 20's until nearly the mid 30's! (1927-1934) actually. i have some of them and they are quite good cause some of them are on dvd. but i wonder if any of them are forever lost though. anyways sorry for going off topic here. the comic

sounds like a LOT better film than that god awful "Extrandairy Seaman' and yes i do know i spelled that wrong. uh sorry about that. Rooney was also good in the film but to bad the film is utter garbage. as for the film 'the dream team' honestly i love that movie. i dunno why but i do. it's just so out there and different than most films today. it does kind of feel like they made a few films like that around the time that was made though.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 12:40 pm

I just happened upon this article, which coincidentally appeared a few days after our thread on Billy Bright trailed off. Without further delay, here it is:

http://moveablefest.com/moveable_fest/2 ... comic.html

I do take exception with Carl Reiner's remark about the two things all the silent comics supposedly had in common: booze and multiple marriages. Harold Lloyd, for starters, was married only once, and while he had his personal issues (including extra-marital affairs) he did not have a drinking problem. Chaplin wasn't a drinker, either. But at any rate, this piece offers some interesting info on the making of The Comic.
-- Charlie Morrow

wich2

PostSat Oct 17, 2015 1:02 pm

I like the film very much, and don't quite get the thinking that it's a savaging either of the era or its stars.

Hollywood DID "eat its (Silent) own" a bit when Talkies came in. And Silent celebs were not w/o their struggles with ego (Chaplin, DeMille, etc.) and substance abuse (Keaton, Pickford, etc.) When it comes to alcohol, Reiner and Van Dyke may even have been touching on their own lead's life a bit.

Overall, the film is a Valentine to the genre and its stars - but free from rose-colored glasses about either.

-Craig

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:53 am

P.S. In re-reading my initial post I’ve caught an error. For some reason I was under the impression that Frank Capra’s autobiography, The Name Above the Title, was published in 1968, and thus might have influenced the creation of the Billy Bright character. Actually, Capra’s book wasn’t published until 1971, two years after The Comic was released, so any parallels between his depiction of Harry Langdon as pompous, self-centered, and generally clueless, and the similar personality of Billy Bright, must have been entirely coincidental. (Although now I have to wonder if Capra saw this movie, and was influenced by it when he wrote his book!)

If this film is in any sense a “Valentine” to silent era performers, as suggested above, it’s in the loving re-creation of the comedy bits, especially in the memorable final sequence. Billy Bright himself is so lacking in redeeming features I can only regard him as a satirical figure, kind of a sassy retort to latter-day sentimentality concerning Old-Time Hollywood that was prevalent in the early TV years, in the many tributes to aging performers on This Is Your Life and various award shows. Reiner seems to be saying: “You think these guys were all saints? Guess what, this one was a schmuck!”
-- Charlie Morrow

Smari1989

PostSat Oct 24, 2015 2:38 am

I've watched THE COMIC once, 7-8 years back. I remember having mixed feelings about it myself, and felt somewhat underwhelmed (perhaps in part because I'd read several glowing reviews on beforehand). I see it as an honorable attempt to recreate the bygone era of silent films, and there are individual scenes in the film which are quite good (the ending is rather moving), and Dick Van Dyke does a fine performance despite his character not being as memorable as it could've been. But the obvious parallels to real-life comedians such as comedians such as Keaton and Langdon made me a bit uncomfortable, considering that the Billy Bright-character appears not all that extraordinary to me. Though viewers tend to single out the "recreations" of silent comedy as the highpoint of the film, I honestly wasn't that impressed with these; they're okay for having been made in the late 1960s, when silent films were less accessible than they are now, but rather resemble what later generations tend to think silent comedies were all about, one macabre sequence at the dentist in particular (then again, having seen some Musty Suffer-shorts more recently, perhaps they weren't all that far off, in the end).

dsadowski

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Harold Lloyd had initial success with sound films, but less success with each film, to the point where they eventually began losing money and he gave up. The audience ate up those early talkies, as they did the increasingly mediocre films Keaton made, but eventually audiences tired of them, just as audiences tired of the early musicals that were getting to be passe by 1930, to the point where some weren't even completed.

To his credit, he tried different things, like The Cat's Paw (1934) but in many respects they just didn't work out.

On paper, The Milky Way (1936) should have been a great success-- and it was a great success when redone in 1946 by Goldwyn, starring Danny Kaye.

The problem was not the other supporting actors, who were often top-notch, the writing, or the direction. The problem was Lloyd himself, who increasingly was out of step with the times in the 1930s.

The difference is plainly evident if you take a look at Bringing Up Baby (1938), starring Cary Grant. Grant is playing, for all intents and purposes, a Harold Lloyd type of part. Yet it is impossible to imagine the film being a success if Lloyd actually had this role.

His last feature (other than the Mad Wednesday fiasco) was Professor Beware (1938), which I recently saw after an absence of many decades. There were many missed opportunities in that film, which could have been much better.

Not only was Lloyd too old by 1938 to play what is essentially a "juvenile" role, he didn't have a voice made for radio.

FrankFay

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I think Lloyd could have had a long career in character roles & bit parts, but he was too well known a star to do that, and more importantly he did not need the money.
Eric Stott

Rufus T Dowd

PostSat Nov 28, 2015 5:04 am

The Comic will be shown on Friday December 4th at 3:05 am ET on the GET TV channel. It is listed on the Dec 3 calendar.

Rufus T Dowd

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 12:28 am

The Comic will be shown twice on Tuesday December 15th on the Get TV channel. First at 7:00 pm ET and repeated at 11:50 ET.

Jim Roots

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 10:59 am

Rufus T Dowd wrote:The Comic will be shown twice on Tuesday December 15th on the Get TV channel. First at 7:00 pm ET and repeated at 11:50 ET.

If you watch it, please post here to let me know if it was captioned or not.

Jim

telical

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Rufus T Dowd wrote:The Comic will be shown twice on Tuesday December 15th on the Get TV channel. First at 7:00 pm ET and repeated at 11:50 ET.

Jim

It is captioned.

Jim Roots

PostWed Dec 30, 2015 10:38 am

telical wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

It is captioned.

Great! That would be an indicator that if they ever get around to putting it out on DVD, it should be captioned.

On a related note ... think I have already posted this information on another thread ... the complete DVD (Dick Van Dyke) TV series is finally available with captions ... with the "f-you" caveat that it costs $250, which is more than double the cost of the various uncaptioned versions that have been released over the years.

Jim

Jim Reid

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 am

Jim Roots wrote:On a related note ... think I have already posted this information on another thread ... the complete DVD (Dick Van Dyke) TV series is finally available with captions ... with the "f-you" caveat that it costs $250, which is more than double the cost of the various uncaptioned versions that have been released over the years.

If it's the blu-ray set you're talking about it's on Amazon for $79. I got it on a one day special last year for $29. So it can be had for much less than $250.

westegg

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 9:32 am

$29?!!!! :shock: Lucky dog.

I never paid full price, but thought it was a steal whenever I bought it sometime later (I bet it was $99). Then too I've snared some sets for outrageously low prices through good timing.

Jim Roots

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 12:12 pm

Jim Reid wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:On a related note ... think I have already posted this information on another thread ... the complete DVD (Dick Van Dyke) TV series is finally available with captions ... with the "f-you" caveat that it costs $250, which is more than double the cost of the various uncaptioned versions that have been released over the years.

If it's the blu-ray set you're talking about it's on Amazon for $79. I got it on a one day special last year for $29. So it can be had for much less than $250.

Is it captioned? There have been at least three "complete" sets released over the years, none of which were captioned. The newest set only appeared in stores within the past few weeks. It has a blue and white striped cover.

Jim

Jim Reid

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Jim Roots

PostThu Dec 31, 2015 6:28 pm

Jim Reid wrote:Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Dick-Van-Dyke-Sho ... k+Van+Dyke" target="_blank

Yes, it is, thanks. And ... arrrggghhh!!!! ... I did not realize it is Blu-ray only.

Freakin' hell! DVD is still screwing me in my attempts to watch his iconic series! :twisted:

Jim

Jim Roots

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Jim Reid wrote:Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Dick-Van-Dyke-Sho ... k+Van+Dyke" target="_blank" target="_blank

Yes, it is, thanks. And ... arrrggghhh!!!! ... I did not realize it is Blu-ray only.

Freakin' hell! DVD is still screwing me in my attempts to watch his iconic series! :twisted:

Jim

Yesterday I came across the set I was talking about in the only store in Canada that seems to carry it, and it is neither the set Jim Reid linked nor is it a Blu-ray. It's in glorious DVD and even in American dead presidents it costs over 200 bucks with taxes and etc.

Here it is:
http://www.acornonline.com/video-genre/ ... 19701.html

Jim

telical

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 3:24 pm

I really enjoyed this movie and thought highly of the script and acting.
I didn't see it as an attack on any silent film star. I just saw it as using
the silent film backdrop and theme of aging actors as a way to examine some interesting
aspects of human nature in a comedic way. My favorite type of movie.

WaverBoy

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Jim Roots wrote:If you watch it, please post here to let me know if it was captioned or not.

Jim

It is captioned.[/quote]

Great! That would be an indicator that if they ever get around to putting it out on DVD, it should be captioned.

Jim[/quote]

It's old news now, but this was actually released on DVD (R) in 2013 by Sony under their Choice Collection MOD line (alas, no captions or commentary). I had DVD-R'd my old LD, but finally got 'round to picking up the latest and greatest. Much improved over the old VHS and LD, but the film would really benefit from a nice HD scan.

As for the film itself, I love it, and wouldn't change a frame, except for perhaps better period detail in spots (especially hairdos) and more effective old-age makeup for Dick, Michele and Cornel (Mickey's was just right). Dick and The Mick are fantastic, and have such great onscreen chemistry. The naysayers who have a problem with the film's alleged meanspiritedness and complain that Billy's perceptions of his behavior and the results of his decisions don't match what we see onscreen are missing the entire point of the film. No, this isn't a film with a standard Hollywood-style tale of success, downfall, redemption, comeback and final happiness, and I'm very glad it isn't, because then it wouldn't be half as good. Billy Bright is a talented but tragically flawed person, which I find very realistic. And even though he's a clueless jerk, he's still a compelling character, and you still kinda feel for him in the end, because of Dick's incredible performance. As for not being wholly accurate to the life of any particular silent comedian, that doesn't really matter, as Billy is a fictional character, natch.

Such a great movie, sadly underrated. I'm also a big fan of FITZWILLY (1967), another wonderful, underknown, underrated Van Dyke film.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies