Movies with automat scenes

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

skyvue

Movies with automat scenes

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 7:20 pm

I've seen a great many pictures over the years that have included scenes which are set in an automat, but can I now recall them?

Of course not.

Well, except these few:

Thirty Day Princess (1934)
Sadie McKee (1934)
Easy Living (1937)
Ladies' Man (1947)
That Touch of Mink (1962)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Radio Days (1987)

Anyone have other titles to offer that include scenes set in Automats?
Cladrite Radio: Toe-tapping Tunes of the 1920s, '30s and '40s
http://www.cladriteradio.com

s.w.a.c.

Re: Movies with automat scenes

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but I do know I had to wait until I was a lot older before I got the joke behind the title of P.D.Q. Bach's Concerto for Horn and Hardart.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

LouieD

sc1957

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Dark City (1998)

"Mr. Murdoch, the automat called and said you left your wallet there. I suggest you retrieve it since you only paid for three weeks and they was up ten minutes ago."
Scott Cameron

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 pm

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

silentfilm

Joe Migliore

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 am

The Early Bird (1925): Johnny Hines shows his date how to get two coffees for the price of one.

Not a talkie, obviously.

odinthor

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Just Imagine (1930) has what amounts to an outdoor on-the-street automat.
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

Frederica

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm

odinthor wrote:Just Imagine (1930) has what amounts to an outdoor on-the-street automat.

Hmmmm, we've come full circle.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2 ... ens-in-la/" target="_blank
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

silentfilm

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 4:53 pm

The Musty Suffer comedy Outs and Ins (1916) consists entirely of Musty working as the cook at an automat that has a high percentage of non-paying customers. It's a fascinating look at the way an automat worked (except for the part where they throw the non-paying customers in a sausage grinder!).

boblipton

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm

silentfilm wrote:The Musty Suffer comedy Outs and Ins (1916) consists entirely of Musty working as the cook at an automat that has a high percentage of non-paying customers. It's a fascinating look at the way an automat worked (except for the part where they throw the non-paying customers in a sausage grinder!).

I take it you've never worked at an automat.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

mickeyfender

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but I thought I'd offer it up anyway.

The entire first scene of Artistic Temper (1932) takes place in an automat. This fun Ruth Etting musical comedy short can be found here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ozcl ... 1932_music

Donald Binks

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 pm

What's an automat?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

telical

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 11:20 pm

An automat is a fast food restaurant where simple foods and drink are served by coin-operated and bill-operated vending machines.

Originally, the machines in U.S. automats took only nickels. In the original format, a cashier would sit in a change booth in the center of the restaurant, behind a wide marble counter with five to eight rounded depressions in it. The diner would insert the required number of coins in a machine and then lift a window, which was hinged at the top, to remove the meal, which was generally wrapped in waxed paper. The machines were filled from the kitchen behind. All or most New York automats also had a cafeteria-style steam table where patrons could slide a tray along rails and choose foods, which were ladled out of steaming tureens.

But don't ask me, ask Wikipedia (who I just quoted).

Donald Binks

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 am

telical wrote:An automat is a fast food restaurant where simple foods and drink are served by coin-operated and bill-operated vending machines.

Originally, the machines in U.S. automats took only nickels. In the original format, a cashier would sit in a change booth in the center of the restaurant, behind a wide marble counter with five to eight rounded depressions in it. The diner would insert the required number of coins in a machine and then lift a window, which was hinged at the top, to remove the meal, which was generally wrapped in waxed paper. The machines were filled from the kitchen behind. All or most New York automats also had a cafeteria-style steam table where patrons could slide a tray along rails and choose foods, which were ladled out of steaming tureens.

But don't ask me, ask Wikipedia (who I just quoted).

I see. Thank you. We never had this in Oz. How long would the food remain in the machine?
(I suppose what we had in Oz were just simple vending machines that would give you a can or bottle of soft drink - or a bar of chocolate or something like that).
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

David Alp

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 am

Which is the one... (I remember this really vividly because it was so odd!) where the two stars go into an automat... (it was in the 1930's and was B&W - I think it was "Sadie Mackee"???) and they are faced with almost a whole wall (or room?) full of tiny tiny tiny little doors! And they open each little door, (they seemingly know what is inside each one as if they have been to this place every day of their lives!!!???), and there is like a mug of coffee behind one door, and a sandwich on a plate behind another door... And in the background (peering THROUGH the little Doors) you can see the kitchen at work!!! So if someone took a coffee, it would be replaced by another one LOL! I'll never forget that scene because I thought it was SO clever!!!! I guess there must have been little stickers on the doors saying what was behind each one??? I dunno because I watched this years ago on my little portable TV! Now then; I can't remember if this was a comedy or not??? I've got a feeling it was a drama?? But I might be wrong??

But the reason I say "Sadie Mackee" is because I seem to recall Joan Crawford being in the scene???? But then again in said film when they get to the "big city" there is a different scene of them looking through a big window at the food?? So it can't be that film??? Oh it's really bugging me because I can see this scene in my head right now; as described above! Does anyone know???

Danny Burk

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 8:21 am

There's an automat scene in EASY LIVING with Jean Arthur. Perhaps you're thinking of that.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 8:30 am

This search at IMDB finds 22 movies with automat scenes. It includes Sadie McKee, Easy Living,
and.... a Musty Suffer short called Outs and Ins.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?keywords=automat" target="_blank

Rick

David Alp

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 8:48 am

Danny Burk wrote:There's an automat scene in EASY LIVING with Jean Arthur. Perhaps you're thinking of that.

Oh My God!!! Well spotted Danny! It IS "Easy Living" -- I've just checked out the trailer on YouTube and that IS definitely the scene!!!! I told you it was a literally wall to wall room full of little drawers... Oh that's taken me back years! Wish I could find the WHOLE scene!??!?!

mickeyfender

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 11:21 am

Donald Binks wrote:
telical wrote:I see. Thank you. We never had this in Oz. How long would the food remain in the machine?
(I suppose what we had in Oz were just simple vending machines that would give you a can or bottle of soft drink - or a bar of chocolate or something like that).

They really weren't so much "machines" as they were little windows/slots in a wall that separated the kitchen from the dining room. These would be loaded from the kitchen side, and the patron would lift the window to take the food, after depositing the proper amount of money, of course. Can't say how long the food would remain there. I suppose it would depend on how fast a particular item sold. The idea, though, was that the food could be considered "fresh", not packaged.

If you click on this video link, you'll see how an automat works:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ozcl ... 1932_music

Danny Burk

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 1:48 pm

David Alp wrote:
Danny Burk wrote:There's an automat scene in EASY LIVING with Jean Arthur. Perhaps you're thinking of that.

Oh My God!!! Well spotted Danny! It IS "Easy Living" -- I've just checked out the trailer on YouTube and that IS definitely the scene!!!! I told you it was a literally wall to wall room full of little drawers... Oh that's taken me back years! Wish I could find the WHOLE scene!??!?!

You can easily get the whole film (which is very good) on DVD....Amazon US has it, new for $11.25, or starting as low as $4 for used copies.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 2:20 pm

a Musty Suffer short called Outs and Ins.

Sounds familiar...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun May 15, 2016 2:58 pm

The British film A MATTER OF CHOICE (1963) has two young idiots, - hungry after having been ejected from a jazz club - one of whom gets angry with a vending machine which keeps his 2/- but refuses to disgorge the ham sandwich. A policeman intervenes and is flung in front of a car for his pains.

mickeyfender

PostSun May 15, 2016 7:29 pm

The Alan Mowbray/Donald MacBride comedy Footlight Fever (1941) has a scene in an automat where the two of them hatch their scheme to raise financing for their play. Worth a watch.

silentfilm

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

That Touch of Mink (1962)

Return to Talking About Talkies