Page 1 of 1

THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 am
by Ray Faiola
Those Silver Lake stairs, made famous in the Laurel & Hardy short THE MUSIC BOX are so iconic, I've always wondered why one of todays wunderkind directors, so often given to homage, have not used the steps in a modern picture.

Have the stairs appeared in any film since THE MUSIC BOX? (no - the Stooges' AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE was not shot on the Vendome steps in Silver Lake)

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 am
by Frederica
Ray Faiola wrote:Those Silver Lake stairs, made famous in the Laurel & Hardy short THE MUSIC BOX are so iconic, I've always wondered why one of todays wunderkind directors, so often given to homage, have not used the steps in a modern picture.

Have the stairs appeared in any film since THE MUSIC BOX? (no - the Stooges' AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE was not shot on the Vendome steps in Silver Lake)


Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any other scenes from later movies filmed on those steps. The neighborhood has changed quite a bit since The Boys filmed there; there are apartment buildings on both sides of the stairs and Vendome Street is very narrow. Location film trucks and equipment would completely block the street.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 am
by CliffordWeimer
I've never seen those stairs in any other films, but there's a loving and hilarious tribute to The Music Box in the 2002 comedy BARBERSHOP with Ice Cube and Cedric the Entertainer. Different steps, though.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:17 pm
by Paul Penna
Like many of my generation, I first came to know and love (and be sent rolling on the floor by) Laurel & Hardy via TV showings in the 1950s. The Music Box held a special fascination because our house was also located on an almost identical long concrete stairway (and an offical city street) in Larkspur, California. Never saw a piano (or washing machine) on it, though.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:43 pm
by FrankFay
In the 30's the stairs were in good repair and the neighborhood was open and photogenic. Now they look worn out and the surroundings are built up and overgrown. It would be tricky to shoot there and get the same effect.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm
by Jim Reid
Looks pretty photogenic to me.

Image

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm
by FrankFay
Then they've been improved- good.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 pm
by boblipton
They were used in an Edgar Kennedy short in the early 1940s. "Duck Soup" comes to mind, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Bob

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 am
by Richard Finegan
boblipton wrote:They were used in an Edgar Kennedy short in the early 1940s. "Duck Soup" comes to mind, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Bob


The Edgar Kennedy short you're thinking of is probably IT'S YOUR MOVE (1945) in which Edgar and his brother-in-law (Jack Rice) have to deliver a washing machine up a long flight of stairs.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 am
by CliffordWeimer
Jim Reid wrote:Looks pretty photogenic to me.

Image


Oooh! What film is this? I'm not sure I've ever seen Sgt. Garcia out of uniform before.

(Ha! Ha! I joke, I kid, I tease...)

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 am
by Jim Reid
Not sure which one of us should be more insulted!

Image

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:38 am
by sethb
BTW, the late Ray Bradbury wrote a short story called "Another Fine Mess" that centers around those stairs, the piano and the spiritsof Stan & Ollie. It appears in the anthology "Quicker Than the Eye," published by Avon Books in 1996. SETH

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am
by Daveismyhero
The family and I recently visited the steps on our vacation to Los Angeles. The steps are in good shape, but they are quite overgrown, especially the higher you go. The street that the stairs are on is quite narrow, but there is a nice park about a block away that has some parking.

If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll do so if there is an interest.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am
by boblipton
Daveismyhero wrote:The family and I recently visited the steps on our vacation to Los Angeles. The steps are in good shape, but they are quite overgrown, especially the higher you go. The street that the stairs are on is quite narrow, but there is a nice park about a block away that has some parking.

If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll do so if there is an interest.



I'd be interested in seeing them.

Bob

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:08 pm
by R Michael Pyle
Moi, aussie!

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 pm
by Dean Thompson
I'd love to see those pictures as well.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 pm
by Robert W
Seeing those steps was one of the most memorable things I've ever done on mv various trips to L.A. / Hollywood.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 pm
by Donald Binks
I must go and see those stairs on my next trip to Los Angeles - perhaps my son could come with me and we'd bring a piano.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 am
by Daveismyhero
Apologies for the delay in posting the pics; hopefully this works: https://imgur.com/gallery/KTaWs

We have the view from the bottom, from the top, and my family (for those interested).

My wife says she got a pic of the Music Box street sign, and I'll update that when she sends it to me, because I missed it entirely on our visit. :)

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:22 pm
by Robert W
Image

There is a plaque on the stairs commemorating The Boys and the film. I was sure I had a picture of it as well, but if I do I don't know where it went....

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 am
by Daveismyhero
Holy cats, how did I miss that?!? Thanks for posting that, Robert!

I have a pic of the plaque, too, but the glare from the sun makes it mostly impossible to read.

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm
by Dean Thompson
Daveismyhero wrote:Apologies for the delay in posting the pics; hopefully this works: https://imgur.com/gallery/KTaWs

We have the view from the bottom, from the top, and my family (for those interested).


Thanks for the illuminating snaps (thanks to Robert W too), and that picture of your family is really sweet!

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm
by Robert W
Nothing to do with the steps, but thought you would enjoy.... This was from a memorabilia exhibit at one of the Turner Classic Movie Cruises.

Image

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm
by Robert W
Image

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm
by Robert W
Image

Re: THE MUSIC BOX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm
by Robert W
From the top of the steps...
Image