Dancing Pirate-1936

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

BGM

Dancing Pirate-1936

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I was excited to see that TCM was selling a color version of Dancing Pirate-I didn't hold my breath since I have read that it no longer exists in Technicolor-but it was on sale and I bought it anyway. Sure enough it was in Cinecolor- a very muddy print with an awful soundtrack. I have watched a crisp black and white print with the original technicolor credits with great sound. It might be a charming little musical if a Technicolor print is ever found and or made available. It has a lot going for it-early Rodgers and Hart score,Frank Morgan,an unusual storyline and the Rita Hayworth's family featured in the dance routines. Just like Becky Sharp the film was not well taken care of over the years. I am hoping that a Technicolor trailer shows up somewhere to at least give us an idea of what the color is supposed to look like.

Ray Faiola

Re: Dancing Pirate-1936

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 am

It's probably from the old Viking Video. I have a spectacular B&W print, struck from a 35mm neg with the original RKO titles and credits and a crisp variable density soundtrack. I believe Paramount has some elements but gosh only knows of what type.

This is definitely a film worthy of restoration and is much easier to sit through than BECKY SHARP!!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

BGM

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 8:17 pm

yes I agree-would really like to see a restoration. I know that UCLA has some elements-

Ray Faiola

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 1:10 pm

I just picked up a CineColor print. Quality is not nearly as bad as I thought, based on the old Viking Video. And the soundtrack was much better than suspected. The CineColor prints have awful reissue titles. Fortunately, I have the original RKO titles on my B&W print so there will be some surgery done.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Jack Theakston

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 am

There is currently a restoration of the three-strip version in the works. I have a feeling the film will be re-evaluated well at that point. It's a fun film.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Talking About Talkies