WANTED! Jane Turner

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

silentfilm

WANTED! Jane Turner

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 5:22 pm

I realize that this this a tough film to see, but I bought a 16mm print of this RKO film from co-moderator Danny Burk recently. It's from 1936 and since the production code is in effect and G-men were not allowed much on-screen anymore, it stars Lee Tracy and Gloria Stuart as two postal inspectors investigating a mail truck murder. Other than a couple of reviews on the IMDB, there's not much information on the web about this film.

Gloria Stuart is a delight, as always. Lee Tracy's character is not very sympathetic, which is not really a bad thing, but it makes you wonder what Stuart's character sees in him. A subplot involving an older man waiting for his son to send him some money seems to be inserted just so Tracy's character can do something nice. Another subplot about mail-order brides seems promising, but fizzles a bit when the out-of-town suitor shows up to find his errant fiancee.

Stuart and Tracy don't really have any chemistry between them. However, main plot about organized crime laundering money through the mail provides a little bit of suspense, especially when the cash is delivered to the wrong person. Tracy and Stuart wiretap the unlucky recipient of the money, and the climax shows a little bit of ingenuity for a B-picture.

azjazzman

Re: WANTED! Jane Turner

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 2:41 am

silentfilm wrote:I realize that this this a tough film to see, but I bought a 16mm print of this RKO film from co-moderator Danny Burk recently.

Not particularly tough to see. As an RKO film, it runs on TCM fairly regularly.

Brooksie

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 pm

I've never seen it. There seems to be an awful lot of good B-pictures from the mid 30s - in some ways, I find them more entertaining than a lot of the A pictures. They don't merely rely on the profile of their star to put some thin piece of fluff over, they tend work harder for your attention.

silentfilm

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Lee Tracy and Gloria Stuart in a scene from RKO Radio's "General Delivery" (tentative title), in which Miss Stuart and Tracy head the cast. The story deals with the method carried on by gangsters to use the mails to distrube hot money. -- Photo by Alex Kahle

The film was released as Wanted: Jane Turner. I love the tilted shot the photographer used to compose this photo.

missdupont

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Being RKO, Alex Kahle is probably the stills photographer. He loved diagonals.

silentfilm

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 pm

missdupont wrote:Being RKO, Alex Kahle is probably the stills photographer. He loved diagonals.

Yes he was, and I added him as the still photographer in the IMDB.

Ray Faiola

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 pm

I actually have a spare print of this little RKO crimeliner for sale.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

rudyfan

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 2:00 pm

silentfilm wrote:Lee Tracy's character is not very sympathetic, which is not really a bad thing, but it makes you wonder what Stuart's character sees in him.

I find most of Lee Tracy's film roles/characters to be unsympathetic. I've never forgiven for being such a coldhearted **** to John Barrymore in Dinner at Eight. ;-)

silentfilm

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Return to Talking About Talkies