Hollywood's Creepy Love Affair with Hitler

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Re: Hollywood's Creepy Love Affair with Hitler

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Hollywood was hugely effective during WWII and after in portraying America as a unified front despite multiple ethnicities, as in all those movies where the bomber crew has a Jewish guy, an Italian guy, a guy named Tex, etc.

Nothing has changed. All those shows and movies today with one black guy, one hip young white dude, one sexy girl (usually white, sometimes Latina, sometimes mixed-race just to keep the balance), and one old guy who stays out of the physical action because he's too old for it. If there's any screen space left over, they'll throw in a guy using a wheelchair (played by an actor who doesn't in real life).

Jim

Brooksie

PostMon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Denby has now expanded on his article, intensifying his criticisms of Urwand's book, at http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/how-could-harvard-have-published-ben-urwands-the-collaboration.html. (He also gives a shout-out to Self-Styled Siren, yay!)

I haven't got much to add, other than to again observe that Hollywood's behaviour in the German market differed very little from its behaviour in other foreign markets, such as Australia. Germany was not the only nation to stop profits going overseas, and investing some of that money in the local film industry was not an uncommon response.

Certainly, we may argue in retrospect that Hollywood might have acted differently, but to quote Denby, "to hold these men responsible for not seeing, as they dealt with the Nazis in the mid-thirties, that the war and the Holocaust were coming—well, that’s bizarrely unfair."

Lostintime

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm almost finishing Urwand's book and I have to say that it's one of the best documented and entertaining books that I have read for years. From the MGM lot to the Weimar Germany, from Hitler's headquarters to Will Hays' office, it provides a fascinating time travel. :D

silentfilm

bobfells

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

I've already dipped my toe into this controversial book including the need to revise my Amazon review when additional info came my way. But as a point of information it should be noted the the horrible Nazi extermination policy they called "The Final Solution" - why do people stick harmless sounding names on activities that are homicidal? - did not launch until 1942. Prior to that the Nazi objective was to get the Jews to move out of Germany. But with border closings in Sept 1939 with the advent of WWII, the policy shifted from emigration to annihilation. Tragically, many of the Jews who left Germany in the 30s didn't move far enough. Those resettling in Poland, France, and the Netherlands were soon caught up in the Nazi grip. My point is that the studio executives were not yet dealing with "murderous thugs" until the late 30s. To castigate them for their dealings in the mid-30s for what happened later is wrong and certainly historically inaccurate.

BTW, the tremendous anti-Nazi film by Warners, CONFESSION OF A NAZI SPY was a flop!
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies