LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Saint-Just

Re: LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Definitely prefer the blue - it's breathtaking in a way that the cyan just can't approach.

Dejael

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:09 am

Greetings All.

I knew and interviewed someone who worked for Universal Pictures on KING OF JAZZ in 1930, named Roswell A. Hoffman, in 1982. He was a special effects technician, and in 1930 was an assistant to the special optical photographic effects department head Jerome (Jerry) Ash, ASC, whose expertise provided the visual effects work on this picture.
Mr. Hoffman had a 50-year-long career at Universal, from 1924 to 1974 when he retired with honors and a big party during production of the Universal picture EARTHQUAKE, in which I appeared as an extra in crowd scenes.

I have never seen the movie KOJ, only heard about it since the 1970s, and am looking forward to seeing it sometime in the near future if it is made available to the home video market on DVD or Blu-Ray. Hopefully Universal or Criterion will make it available, as they did last year with the excellent restoration of Marlon Brando's ONE EYED JACKS (1961), one of my favorite classic Westerns.

All Darc

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 am

Yes, and the skin looks a bit better too, while in the green version the skin looks too magenta.

Saint-Just wrote:Definitely prefer the blue - it's breathtaking in a way that the cyan just can't approach.
Keep thinking...

16mm4FR

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Dejael wrote:Greetings All.

I have never seen the movie KOJ, only heard about it since the 1970s, and am looking forward to seeing it sometime in the near future if it is made available to the home video market on DVD or Blu-Ray. Hopefully Universal or Criterion will make it available, as they did last year with the excellent restoration of Marlon Brando's ONE EYED JACKS (1961), one of my favorite classic Westerns.

I agree, the Criterion ONE-EYED JACKS, my favorite western, does looks spectacular, but permanently removing the Paramount logo, along with the wonderful blooming Vista-Vision logo, is simply unforgivable. It may be owned by Universal now but it was a Paramount release. There's no valid reason to not keep the history intact.

Dejael

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Really? I did not know that. That's a shame. I agree with you. I have a DVD transfer professionally made from the 1991 Paramount VistaVision Laserdisc release privately for me by a friend in the film industry. I will get the Criterion release and compare them.

BixB

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am

Every so often Criterion pulls a boner. Universal released a LD boxed set of Lubitsch Paramount's. The print of ONE HOUR WITH YOU sported not only original tints but the films rousing exit music. When Criterion released it on DVD the tints and the exit music were gone. Perhaps that's what Universal handed them but it's too bad someone didn't catch it and raise a red flag.
Joe Busam

wich2

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:42 am

BixB wrote:Every so often Criterion pulls a boner.

Happens to the best of us!

All Darc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 am

Any more new clips of this restoration, please ?
Keep thinking...

Dejael

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 10:46 am

Wow, I love that GIF file clip of Buster Keaton doing his own train stunt work in SHERLOCK JR. (1924). Thanks for posting it! Buster was an amazing comic genius who in addition to being a legendary comedian, also was an ace stunt man and producer-director. Keaton is one of the all-time great classic movie comedians. I have loved watching him since I was a boy in the 1950s and he had his own TV series, produced with comedy writer Clyde Bruckman. It was on KTTV Channel 11 in Los Angeles around 1950-53.
I met him in person in 1965 when I did my first extra work in an American-International Beach Party movie. He was amazing to watch in person, improvising and rehearsing his comedy bits with that beautiful blonde girl Bobbie Shaw.

All Darc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank you. When I saw this anime gif I had to place in the signature.

I was to ask if Keaton ever had any injury or accident along his career.

Dejael wrote:Wow, I love that GIF file clip of Buster Keaton doing his own train stunt work in SHERLOCK JR. (1924). Thanks for posting it! Buster was an amazing comic genius who in addition to being a legendary comedian, also was an ace stunt man and producer-director. Keaton is one of the all-time great classic movie comedians. I have loved watching him since I was a boy in the 1950s and he had his own TV series, produced with comedy writer Clyde Bruckman. It was on KTTV Channel 11 in Los Angeles around 1950-53.
I met him in person in 1965 when I did my first extra work in an American-International Beach Party movie. He was amazing to watch in person, improvising and rehearsing his comedy bits with that beautiful blonde girl Bobbie Shaw.
Keep thinking...

wich2

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:04 pm

All Darc wrote:I was to ask if Keaton ever had any injury or accident along his career

Yes.

Dejael

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Yes, Keaton suffered many injuries in his long show business career, due to his constant drive to invent new and more spectacular stunts that were incredibly dangerous. He could have been killed several times in his silent movie days, if he had not been extra careful in plotting out precisely everything in advance of shooting, and even on camera, doing as many retakes as needed until he got the shot exactly the way he wanted it.
Two stunts that immediately come to mind are the scene with the side of the house falling on him, with him left standing due to a large window being exactly where he was standing when the wall fell to the ground. The other is when he sat on the machine arm linking wheels together on a real locomotive while it was moving down the track, during shooting of THE GENERAL (1927), but there were many more.
For example, in SHERLOCK JR. (1924), the production included one of Keaton's most famous on-set accidents. In a scene where Keaton grabs a water spout while walking on a moving boxcar train, the water unexpectedly flooded down on Keaton much harder than anticipated, throwing him to the ground. The back of Keaton's neck slammed against a steel rail on the ground and caused him to black out. The pain was so intense that Keaton had to stop shooting later that day and he had "blinding headaches" for weeks afterwards, but continued working due to his well-known high threshold for physical pain. It was not until 1935 that a doctor spotted a callus over a fracture in Keaton's top vertebra in an X-ray. The doctor informed Keaton that he had broken his neck during the accident nine years earlier and not realized it. Keaton famously always performed his own stunts, and this was not the only accident on set. In another scene Keaton was in a motorcycle accident when the bike he was riding skidded and smashed into two cameras, knocking over director Eddie Cline and throwing Keaton onto a nearby car. (from Wikipedia)

wich2

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:19 pm

>Keaton famously always performed his own stunts<

I believe there were actually a few exceptions.

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 pm

wich2 wrote:>Keaton famously always performed his own stunts<

I believe there were actually a few exceptions.

The pole vault in College being the most famous one.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Dejael

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Getting back to KING OF JAZZ, our topic under discussion, since many on this board have seen this movie before, is there a scene in which an animated character sits on Paul Whiteman's shoulder as he is conducting his band? Mr. Roswell Hoffman seemed to remember a scene in which he worked with animators Walter Lantz and Frank Tipper on that. Anyone?

westegg

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 am

I don't think anyone here has seen that!

Dejael

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I know this is off topic, but does anyone know why Warner Archive-WB Studios is not releasing the classic MGM movie RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) starring Elizabeth Taylor, on USA DVD or Blu-Ray? It was the first movie filmed in MGM's then-new Camera 65 film process, of which BEN-HUR (1959) was the second film in that process. I suppose it is in need of a long-awaited restoration also.
And I know it's too new of a movie to be discussed on this pre-1950 site.
If you can direct me to a site where this subject is discussed, I would love to know. Thanks.

Danny Burk

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 am

Dejael wrote:I know this is off topic, but does anyone know why Warner Archive-WB Studios is not releasing the classic MGM movie RAINTREE COUNTY (1957) starring Elizabeth Taylor, on USA DVD or Blu-Ray? It was the first movie filmed in MGM's then-new Camera 65 film process, of which BEN-HUR (1959) was the second film in that process. I suppose it is in need of a long-awaited restoration also.
And I know it's too new of a movie to be discussed on this pre-1950 site.
If you can direct me to a site where this subject is discussed, I would love to know. Thanks.

It's been mentioned on HFT and Warners' Facebook page, but I don't have a link. In short, they've said that it's badly in need of expensive restoration; expensive to the point that they wouldn't be able to recoup costs from sales, so they have no present plans to work on it.

Dejael

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you, Mr. Burk. I was afraid of that. Perhaps a consortium can put together a restoration package that will work for all parties on that, like they have done for other films. Maybe Criterion can get involved. Thanks again!

David Alp

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Just to politely remind; why don't you open new threads about Raintree County/Buster Keaton etc etc as they are WAY off topic... This is the KOJ thread.

Anyway, back to KOJ -- here is the cartoon you were talking about. I don't seem to see an animated character sitting on Paul Whiteman's shoulder as he is conducting his band? Although the lion DOES indeed jump, and land on Paul's back at 1:21

Dejael

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you! I have never seen one frame of film from KING OF JAZZ, so this is a new experience for me.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies