LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

s.w.a.c.

Re: LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 am

DShepFilm wrote:Here's another over-the-top clip from K of J, looking wonderful; "Happy Shoes" with Bing Crosby, posted to promote the Bologna festival:

http://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e ... 380/243421" target="_blank

Great clip, thanks David! Too bad it's rendered in Stretch-O-Scope.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Watched my muddy old print of this one tonight. I had forgotten how little Universal's major female star, Laura La Plante, had to do in this one. Jeanette Loff gets the major female numbers. I can't tell Glenn Tryon from Stanley Smith in this film and apparently IMDb gets them mixed up as well. I think Merna Kennedy gets like one line in a skit.

In the "Rhapsody in Blue" number, is that Al Norman strutting around with the horn?

As noted, the African shadow dancer (in a Ted Shawn style) was white. I met Cartier briefly at a salon/gathering at my writer friend Susan Basquin's house in Santa Fe in the 1980s. I had no idea who he was. : http://sflivingtreasures.org/index.php/ ... ?showall=1" target="_blank" target="_blank

From the book African-American Concert Dance by John Perpener: “In Golden Dawn, a [Broadway] 1927 musical drama of interracial romance and miscegenation, a white dancer, Jacque Cartier, performed an African witch-doctor dance in full body makeup…. Cartier, who had performed in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1923 and the Greenwich Village Follies of 1923, became well known for his African dances and performed them in two Hollywood films during the early 1930s.”

Was Cartier also in the film version of Golden Dawn?

So the only Black person in the film is Snowdrop, the little girl sitting on Whiteman's knee.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

drednm

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 am

From a 1930 Film Daily bit on Jacques Cartier:

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

smokey15

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 11:57 am

Does anyone know if the restored version of "King Of Jazz" will be going to blu ray and/or DVD? I would sure
hope that Universal would capitalize on it by making it available for purchase in the near future.

vitaphone

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Smokey, it is WAY too early to expect any DVD/BluRay announcement on KOJ. It is currently booked in more than a dozen venues and that will continue for awhile. Studios rarely put out a DVD so soon after a restoration has only just been completed. I would think next year.

smokey15

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 8:18 pm

[quote="vitaphone"]Smokey, it is WAY too early to expect any DVD/BluRay announcement on KOJ. It is currently booked in more than a dozen venues and that will continue for awhile. Studios rarely put out a DVD so soon after a restoration has only just been completed. I would think next year.[/quote]

I don't expect it to be out commercially any time soon. I know that is it travelling to theatres across the states. As long as Universal can get the audiences to the theatres there's no need to release it on home video.

What I was trying to say was that I hope Universal will eventually release it in the forseeable future. There have been many films that have been beautifully restored, shown in theatres here and there and then put back in mothballs (so to speak).
I saw "Follow Thru" last year at Capitolfest. It was awesome! The colors were so vibrant you could see the freckles on Nancy Carroll's arms. You'd never believe it was a film from 1930. Unfortunately, even though it was restored in 2004 it has never been available commercially and I doubt that it ever will.

vitaphone

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 8:27 pm

I fully understand and agree. It will happen. FOLLOW THRU is held up not by Universal but by the rights owners who have sadly blocked home video release for decades.

David Alp

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm

vitaphone wrote:I fully understand and agree. It will happen. FOLLOW THRU is held up not by Universal but by the rights owners who have sadly blocked home video release for decades.

I have got a bootleg DVD of "Follow Thru" and I simply cannot bear to watch it because its much too depressing and sad an experience to sit through in its current murky/flickery condition. However about ten years ago I was watching a documentary narrated by Julie Andrews about the history of musicals (both Broadway, and Hollywood -- I have a feeling it was called "Broadways Lost Treasures" or something?) but anyway, all of a sudden a PRISTINE shot of Zelma O'Neal singing "I Want To Be Bad" came on the TV. It simply blew me away because the clarity was absolutely PERFECT! I could hardly believe how beautiful the colours were and boy did my eyes widen!. Sadly though, they only allowed about 10 seconds of footage to be shown. And before I knew it it was over.. But it was stunning to see.

By the way -- I notice that "Follow Thru" was a Paramount Picture, not Universal. I know you know that - I was just saying. Also; Do we have any idea for what possible reason they are blocking an 86 year old movie?

Robert W

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 8:48 pm

The theatrical revenues from the rep theatres running King of Jazz for a couple of shows are really chump change for Universal and I doubt that they are holding a home video release back because of it. The problem for them is that this is essentially a fairly obscure, specialty title that is a tough sell for a company that normally releases mass-audience titles and well-established classics. My instinct ( and that's all it is ) is that this will turn up from Criterion within the next year. Universal has licensed to them before, and Criterion has the audience that will know and appreciate what this picture is. The recent restoration effort lends itself to plenty of special features and behind-the-scenes documentaries that Criterion does so well.

Harold Aherne

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm

David Alp wrote:By the way -- I notice that "Follow Thru" was a Paramount Picture, not Universal. I know you know that - I was just saying.

This issue is one that seems to up again and again in discussions of older movies, so...

In early 1958, Paramount sold 764 of its titles (consisting of the majority of its sound films from 1928 through 1949) to MCA. Follow Thru was among them, though it wasn't made available to TV. In 1962, MCA purchased (the American) Decca Records, which owned Universal, and thus brought this group of Paramounts into Universal's hands. (Or rather, these 764 Paramounts were brought under the same corporate umbrella as Universal's library.)

Not all Paramounts from these years were part of the MCA group, of course. Some features, and most short films, had already been sold off in separate transactions; others (like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Make Me a Star and One Sunday Afternoon) had been sold to other studios for remakes; and Paramount retained a handful, like The Buccaneer, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek and some from 1948-49. Still others (such as the 1926-32 Harold Lloyd films) were retained by their independent producers.

-HA

Donald Binks

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 pm

vitaphone wrote:I fully understand and agree. It will happen. FOLLOW THRU is held up not by Universal but by the rights owners who have sadly blocked home video release for decades.

I don't suppose you know off-hand who the rights holders are, at all? I was wondering whether it might prove worthwhile to write them a very nice letter and gently inform them that I don't have decades to wait and that the Good Lord has probably only given me a matter of some few years left to linger Therefore they may possibly see their way clear to unblocking things?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

vitaphone

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 5:40 am

Donald, as you would expect, the rights holders, including the families of the show's producers Mandel and Schwab, have been repeatedly contacted over the past 25+ years and they continue to be uncooperative and unreasonable. A nice letter is pointless. Sadly other films have been tied up by bullheaded rights holders and this is a stellar case of that.

drednm

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 6:04 am

vitaphone wrote:Donald, as you would expect, the rights holders, including the families of the show's producers Mandel and Schwab, have been repeatedly contacted over the past 25+ years and they continue to be uncooperative and unreasonable. A nice letter is pointless. Sadly other films have been tied up by bullheaded rights holders and this is a stellar case of that.

So what do they gain by being bullheaded? Are they looking for a big payout?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

vitaphone

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 6:37 am

Most rights holders who block releases could care less about reason or common sense. So it is pointless to try to use any reasonable facts to sway them. Some want exhorbitant amounts of money that can never be recouped, others are just flat against any release with no sensible reason. So trying to pitch the obvious becomes pointless eventually. Any argument to them with "but don't you understand..." doesn't work. So at some point you must move on to projects that DO have a possibility.

drednm

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 am

Watched Whoopee (1930) last night to see if I could spot Jacques Cartier, who had been signed for another dance number (with Joyzelle) after his showstopping shadow dance in The King of Jazz. There were numerous blurbs in the trades about Cartier's traveling to New Mexico to study native dances for his highlighted spot in the upcoming Cantor film. Apparently the number was either cut or was never filmed. The original stage choreography gave way to the dances by Busby Berkeley. The number might have been part of the "Song of the Setting Sun" number at the end of the film where there's a short dance followed by the showgirls coming down from the mountains.

Oddly (but not surprisingly) IMDb mangles the credits by listing "Joyzelle Cartier" as a dancer. If they are still in the film anywhere Joyzelle and Jacques Cartier should be listed separately ... even if their scenes were deleted.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

greta de groat

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks for following up on that intriguing tidbit. Jacque Cartier AND Joyzelle would have been a blast. Sounds like he remained in the Santa Fe area.

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 am

greta de groat wrote:Thanks for following up on that intriguing tidbit. Jacque Cartier AND Joyzelle would have been a blast. Sounds like he remained in the Santa Fe area.

Greta

Anything to do with Joyzelle is intriguing and welcome.

drednm

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
greta de groat wrote:Thanks for following up on that intriguing tidbit. Jacque Cartier AND Joyzelle would have been a blast. Sounds like he remained in the Santa Fe area.

Greta

Anything to do with Joyzelle is intriguing and welcome.

... she a "danseuse"
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

David Alp

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Donald Binks wrote:

I don't suppose you know off-hand who the rights holders are, at all? I was wondering whether it might prove worthwhile to write them a very nice letter and gently inform them that I don't have decades to wait and that the Good Lord has probably only given me a matter of some few years left to linger Therefore they may possibly see their way clear to unblocking things?

Here you go Don. Its on YouTube. The whole film! Its much better than my old bootleg as well, but still not perfect. Enjoy.

Donald Binks

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 7:41 pm

David Alp wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:

Here you go Don. Its on YouTube. The whole film! Its much better than my old bootleg as well, but still not perfect. Enjoy.

Thanks for the thought David. I already have a copy of the picture - but it would be nice to have a copy taken from the restoration.
Regards from
Donald Binks

Donald Binks

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 7:43 pm

vitaphone wrote:Most rights holders who block releases could care less about reason or common sense. So it is pointless to try to use any reasonable facts to sway them. Some want exhorbitant amounts of money that can never be recouped, others are just flat against any release with no sensible reason. So trying to pitch the obvious becomes pointless eventually. Any argument to them with "but don't you understand..." doesn't work. So at some point you must move on to projects that DO have a possibility.

Thanks for your succinct comments Ron. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of stupidity alive and well in the world. Still, we have to respect the wishes of the owners of works even though we scratch our heads in amazement.
Regards from
Donald Binks

Jack Theakston

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Trailer for the upcoming screening at Cinema Capitol in Rome, NY as part of Capitolfest:

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

siriami

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 3:34 am

Jack Theakston wrote:Trailer for the upcoming screening at Cinema Capitol in Rome, NY as part of Capitolfest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOTXZZdaR8" target="_blank

Anyone else spot the typo - "Multi-Milllion"!

drednm

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 4:25 am

siriami wrote:
Jack Theakston wrote:Trailer for the upcoming screening at Cinema Capitol in Rome, NY as part of Capitolfest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOTXZZdaR8" target="_blank" target="_blank

What's wrong with it?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

vitaphone

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 5:36 am

Great job Jack! Perfect! Uncle Carl would be very pleased.

boblipton

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 5:43 am

When I looked at this I thought "Obviously from a re-issue, since Crosby wouldn't have been mentioned in 1930." Then I did a double-take.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

busby1959

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 11:54 am

siriami wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOTXZZdaR8" target="_blank" target="_blank

Perhaps they thought it was such an important, unprecedented event that the extra L was warrented.

boblipton

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 12:06 pm

busby1959 wrote:
siriami wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOTXZZdaR8" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Perhaps they thought it was such an important, unprecedented event that the extra L was warrented.

Intended for the British release and the Pound Sterling symbol.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Aug 03, 2016 6:25 am

busby1959 wrote:
siriami wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOTXZZdaR8" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

The original producers thought, "To L with the expense!"
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

All Darc

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Rhapsody In Green(cyan) or Rhapsody In Blue...

What do you prefer?

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted1.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted2.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted3.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted6.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted5.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted7.jpg

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2016 ... usted4.jpg

People will it it was intented to look cyan. But look at the skin. The skin looks quite magenta in the Rhapsody in Green version. If it was really intented to look cyan the faces would had got make-up to look natural and not magenta.

The two color technicolor system could get blues if they changed to color of the dyes used for produce dye transfer prints. What 2 color technicolor technicolor could not do was show greens and blues at the same time.
Keep thinking...

PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Talkies