LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Saint-Just

Re: LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Definitely prefer the blue - it's breathtaking in a way that the cyan just can't approach.

Dejael

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:09 am

Greetings All.

I knew and interviewed someone who worked for Universal Pictures on KING OF JAZZ in 1930, named Roswell A. Hoffman, in 1982. He was a special effects technician, and in 1930 was an assistant to the special optical photographic effects department head Jerome (Jerry) Ash, ASC, whose expertise provided the visual effects work on this picture.
Mr. Hoffman had a 50-year-long career at Universal, from 1924 to 1974 when he retired with honors and a big party during production of the Universal picture EARTHQUAKE, in which I appeared as an extra in crowd scenes.

I have never seen the movie KOJ, only heard about it since the 1970s, and am looking forward to seeing it sometime in the near future if it is made available to the home video market on DVD or Blu-Ray. Hopefully Universal or Criterion will make it available, as they did last year with the excellent restoration of Marlon Brando's ONE EYED JACKS (1961), one of my favorite classic Westerns.

All Darc

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 am

Yes, and the skin looks a bit better too, while in the green version the skin looks too magenta.

Saint-Just wrote:Definitely prefer the blue - it's breathtaking in a way that the cyan just can't approach.
Keep thinking...

16mm4FR

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Dejael wrote:Greetings All.

I have never seen the movie KOJ, only heard about it since the 1970s, and am looking forward to seeing it sometime in the near future if it is made available to the home video market on DVD or Blu-Ray. Hopefully Universal or Criterion will make it available, as they did last year with the excellent restoration of Marlon Brando's ONE EYED JACKS (1961), one of my favorite classic Westerns.

I agree, the Criterion ONE-EYED JACKS, my favorite western, does looks spectacular, but permanently removing the Paramount logo, along with the wonderful blooming Vista-Vision logo, is simply unforgivable. It may be owned by Universal now but it was a Paramount release. There's no valid reason to not keep the history intact.

Dejael

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Really? I did not know that. That's a shame. I agree with you. I have a DVD transfer professionally made from the 1991 Paramount VistaVision Laserdisc release privately for me by a friend in the film industry. I will get the Criterion release and compare them.

BixB

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am

Every so often Criterion pulls a boner. Universal released a LD boxed set of Lubitsch Paramount's. The print of ONE HOUR WITH YOU sported not only original tints but the films rousing exit music. When Criterion released it on DVD the tints and the exit music were gone. Perhaps that's what Universal handed them but it's too bad someone didn't catch it and raise a red flag.
Joe Busam

wich2

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:42 am

BixB wrote:Every so often Criterion pulls a boner.

Happens to the best of us!

All Darc

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:43 am

Any more new clips of this restoration, please ?
Keep thinking...

Dejael

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Getting back to KING OF JAZZ, our topic under discussion, since many on this board have seen this movie before, is there a scene in which an animated character sits on Paul Whiteman's shoulder as he is conducting his band? Mr. Roswell Hoffman seemed to remember a scene in which he worked with animators Walter Lantz and Frank Tipper on that. Anyone?

westegg

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 am

I don't think anyone here has seen that!

David Alp

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Just to politely remind; why don't you open new threads about Raintree County/Buster Keaton etc etc as they are WAY off topic... This is the KOJ thread.

Anyway, back to KOJ -- here is the cartoon you were talking about. I don't seem to see an animated character sitting on Paul Whiteman's shoulder as he is conducting his band? Although the lion DOES indeed jump, and land on Paul's back at 1:21

Dejael

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you! I have never seen one frame of film from KING OF JAZZ, so this is a new experience for me.

BixB

PostTue May 16, 2017 8:33 am

Dejael wrote:Getting back to KING OF JAZZ, our topic under discussion, since many on this board have seen this movie before, is there a scene in which an animated character sits on Paul Whiteman's shoulder as he is conducting his band? Mr. Roswell Hoffman seemed to remember a scene in which he worked with animators Walter Lantz and Frank Tipper on that. Anyone?

In the recent book, KING OF JAZZ: Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Revue there are storyboard panels from an aborted introduction that included more animation but was never completed. Or was it? Perhaps the clue to what Mr. Hoffman was remembering is buried there.
Joe Busam

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue May 16, 2017 9:18 am

Just for the record, I split off some recent posts into individual threads about Buster Keaton's stunt work and the 1950s film Raintree County.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24144

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24145
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Dejael

PostTue May 16, 2017 10:24 am

A big thank you to Joe Busam for your comment about Roswell Hoffman's memory about working on some animation for KING OF JAZZ. Perhaps the sequence was shot, but cut from the final edit of the film. Sadly another loss of excised footage on the "cutting room floor".

Maelstrom

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Is there any news on a DVD release, perhaps in time for Christmas? I understand the owners wouldn't want to spoil theater receipts, but that's a year ago now. I really want to watch this with my 90 year old dad.

Jack Theakston's wonderful clip had me open-mouthed with admiration for the work that's been done.

vitaphone

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Nothing to report at this time, and obviously when something definite is set, it will be widely announced. And definitely nothing until next year. Things are in the works, but it will take awhile.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 6:31 am

vitaphone wrote:Nothing to report at this time, and obviously when something definite is set, it will be widely announced. And definitely nothing until next year. Things are in the works, but it will take awhile.

Thanks.

Any future screenings?

vitaphone

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 am

Hi Harlett!

Any new screenings can easily be set up between theaters and Universal. There were about 30 screenings worldwide that I am aware of. Don't know if any venues have recently schedule it, but they certainly could.

Maelstrom

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am

Many thanks, vitaphone. It's a comfort to have someone close to the situation keeping us posted.

BixB

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks to an interview by Tom Weaver with The Cohen Group's Tim Lanza in the latest issue of Classic Images, I learned that my two favorite film restorations of 2016 share a link beside the home studio that produced them. Namely KING OF JAZZ and THE OLD DARK HOUSE. Turns out that when Universal was working on their restoration of KING OF JAZZ, The Cohen Film Group had an original 35mm nitrate print that the studio needed. In turn, Universal had certain rights to THE OLD DARK HOUSE that Cohen needed to proceed. Eventually, a swap was worked out and we were treated to two of the most amazing film restorations in modern times. Truly a win-win situation.
Joe Busam
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies