LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

David Alp

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 am

As per "The Vitaphone Project" VOLUME 10, NUMBER 4.

Quote:
While we have been asked not to go into too much detail yet, recently leaked reports in other venues allow us to give VITAPHONE NEWS readers some preliminary background on the long awaited restoration of Universal's all-Technicolor 1930 musical THE KING OF JAZZ. Starring bandleader Paul Whiteman in the title role, this film has circulated in washed out VHS versions for years, and then only in the cut-down 1933 reissue length. As often happens with film discoveries, a beautiful but fragile 35mm nitrate print of the original 1930 version turned up, at The Library of Congress, while half a country away in Texas, record auctioneer Kurt Nauck, located and was selling the complete set of 16 inch Vitaphone disks, again for the 1930, not 1933, version.

Hopefully in our next issue, we can provide more detail on this important and challenging restoration. Suffice it to say that it will be done with the utmost attention to providing the best sound and picture quality that modern technology allows. Rutgers film Professor Richard Koszarski and his wife Diane have researched the making of THE KING OF JAZZ for over 30 years, accumulating a massive amount of documentation on the film in its nine different language versions. It is hoped that the completed restoration can be further enhanced with a book or at least an extensive set of notes utilizing the Koszarski's research.

BING CROSBY WITH RHYTHM BOYS & BROX SISTERS - WASHED OUT VHS VERSION

BING CROSBY WITH RHYTHM BOYS & BROX SISTERS - BRAND NEW NITRATE TECHNICOLOR VERSION

FRAME COMPARISON OF WASHED OUT VHS VERSION VERSUS THE NITRATE TECHNICOLOR VERSION

CLOSE UP OF BING CROSBY SINGING "THE BLUEBIRDS & THE BLACKBIRDS GOT TOGETHER"

"HAPPY FEET" - THE GIRLS DANCING THROUGH THE SKYLINE OF NEW YORK CITY

JEANIE LANG & LAURA LA PLANTE IN "THE LADIES OF THE PRESS" COMEDY SKETCH

JEANIE LANG & GEORGE CHILES SINGING "MY RAGAMUFFIN ROMEO" NUMBER

A GLIMPSE OF "THE MELTING POT OF MUSIC" GRAND FINALE WITH A CAST OF HUNDREDS!

"RHAPSODY IN BLUE" - FINALLY RESTORED BACK TO "RHAPSODY IN GREEN" (AS IT WAS IN 1930)

"THE SISTERS G" - SINGING "HAPPY FEET" - (SPECIAL MIRROR EFFECT)

JEANETTE LOFF & STANLEY SMITH SINGING "A BENCH IN THE PARK"

PAUL WHITEMAN WITH SILVER BATON - THE MELTING POT OF MUSIC FINALE

PAUL WHITEMAN INTRODUCING "RHAPSODY IN BLUE" - (NOTICE THE GREEN BACKGROUND ONCE AGAIN RESTORED)

"WILLIE HALL" WITH HIS TYRE PUMP & VIOLIN IN THE BACKGROUND - (PLAYS "THE STARS & THE STRIPES")

What stunning 2-Strip Technicolor 35mm frames we have here!! Everyone must agree? Does anyone know of the progress of the 2012 restoration of the complete "KING OF JAZZ" (1930)? There was no update in the later Vitaphone Project installments? Here is the link http://www.picking.com/vitaphone104.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

As you can see, the newly found 1930 nitrate print has superior color over the 1990's washed out VHS version that was a patch-up job reconstructing a battered 16mm dupe with a 1933 (heavily altered) 35mm re-release of "KING OF JAZZ". (The 1933 version was missing several numbers, such as "I'd Like To Do Things For You")...

I just wondered if anyone had any news on this film, and/or the restoration? I would love to see it on Blu-ray one day. Especially now a fragile, but COMPLETE nitrate Technicolor version has been found, along with all of the Vitaphone discs for the 1930 version; (for anyone who doesn't know the story; "King Of Jazz" was re-released in a cut version in 1933, and this is the version that has been circulating ever since... Along with a complete 16mm version spliced into it to create a kind of hybrid version of the original, but it was only released on VHS. If you compare the pictures above with the wishy-washy VHS version it is incredible.
Last edited by David Alp on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rudyfan

Re: LONG AWAITED "KING OF JAZZ" RESTORATION BEGINS IN 2012

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Well, this is bright news indeed! I'm a fan of this early musical and would love to see a stunning print! The frames look fab!

Rob

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:30 pm

I posted this update on the KOJ restoration in the "Gray Market Universals" thread on September 5th, but I guess it bears repeating:

"At Cinecon this past weekend, a person who is closely involved in this proposed restoration said that nothing has changed from what I reported on this board over a year ago. Universal's archive department has all the film elements in hand and are ready to START the restoration, but so far the Bean Counters at Universal have not signed off on the cost of the project. The entire project will cost in the neighborhood of $500k (digital & photochemical restoration), which is around 5 or 6 times what a normal feature would cost to restore. They have three original release 35mm nitrate prints, the original camera negative for the 1933 (cut) reissue version, as well as the original release soundtrack negative. BUT, the bottom line is that - other than a short test done close to a year ago, to see how all these elements will blend together - NOTHING has been done so far and the restoration work is most certainly NOT ongoing. This could change quickly if funding is secured, but until that happens, there is no restoration work underway."

Rob

David Alp

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Rob wrote:I posted this update on the KOJ restoration in the "Gray Market Universals" thread on September 5th, but I guess it bears repeating:

"At Cinecon this past weekend, a person who is closely involved in this proposed restoration said that nothing has changed from what I reported on this board over a year ago. Universal's archive department has all the film elements in hand and are ready to START the restoration, but so far the Bean Counters at Universal have not signed off on the cost of the project. The entire project will cost in the neighborhood of $500k (digital & photochemical restoration), which is around 5 or 6 times what a normal feature would cost to restore. They have three original release 35mm nitrate prints, the original camera negative for the 1933 (cut) reissue version, as well as the original release soundtrack negative. BUT, the bottom line is that - other than a short test done close to a year ago, to see how all these elements will blend together - NOTHING has been done so far and the restoration work is most certainly NOT ongoing. This could change quickly if funding is secured, but until that happens, there is no restoration work underway."

Rob

Hi Rob,
Sorry I searched high and low for a "King Of Jazz" thread but couldn't fine one, hence me staring this one for such an important film... Oh God, this is terrible news! I have been waiting years now for a "King Of Jazz" DVD; and now of course a "King Of Jazz" Blu-ray to supercede the VHS version... Here in the UK "King Of Jazz" was broadcast on Channel Four television on Christmas Eve night 1987 and I recorded it onto VHS. I believe that that copy is better than the official VHS copy that was released in the 1990's (?). A friend in the US also copied me the 1933 version which was (I assume?) broadcast on television over there?

This is highly disappointing news, especially coming on the heels of the release on Blu-ray of "BROADWAY" (1929) earlier this year, (which is also a UNIVERSAL picture/musical) which was released as an extra with the silent movie "LONESOME" (1928).

You say there that they have 3 Nitrate prints?? This is interesting news to me?? According to the Vitaphone Project there is only the one? What are the other two prints? I assume the second print is the 1933 cut version (?) so what is the third? The reason I ask so many questions is because I have been closely following this film since 1987 when it was first broadcast on television in England, and when I first fell in love with it. I'd love to see it restored, and color corrected back to the green and red of the 1930 original. Any more information you have would be greatly appreciated.

You would think that Bing Crosby fans would be very interested in purchasing this film on Blu-ray?

Rob

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:57 pm

David of The Alps wrote: Here in the UK "King Of Jazz" was broadcast on Channel Four television on Christmas Eve night 1987 and I recorded it onto VHS. I believe that that copy is better than the official VHS copy that was released in the 1990's (?). A friend in the US also copied me the 1933 version which was (I assume?) broadcast on television over there?

This is highly disappointing news, especially coming on the heels of the release on Blu-ray of "BROADWAY" (1929) earlier this year, (which is also a UNIVERSAL picture/musical) which was released as an extra with the silent movie "LONESOME" (1928).

You say there that they have 3 Nitrate prints?? This is interesting news to me?? According to the Vitaphone Project there is only the one? What are the other two prints? I assume the second print is the 1933 cut version (?) so what is the third? The reason I ask so many questions is because I have been closely following this film since 1987 when it was first broadcast on television in England, and when I first fell in love with it. I'd love to see it restored, and color corrected back to the green and red of the 1930 original. Any more information you have would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know KOJ has been broadcast on British TV at least several times, initially in the very early 1970s. That print was a battered original release 35mm, known in collector's circles as the "Mussolini Print". It is said to have been brought to the UK by British Forces after the close of WW2, after being liberated from the personal collection of Benito Mussolini! It later fell into the hands of the British Bing Crosby Fan Club - which accounts for all the Crosby sequences being so battered in the KOJ copies we have seen in more recent years. In the late 1960s a British film collector had possession of the Mussolini print and made a 16mm reduction negative as well as a broadcast quality video tape from it. This is the tape that has been broadcast on TV in Britain and was used for part of the 1982 VHS. The VHS issue was put together from the "Mussolini" print and the original 35mm camera negative of the 1933 reissue.

Yes, Universal has in hand THREE original release 35mm nitrate 2-color prints - the Mussolini, a second that turned up in the Raymond Rohauer collection - as well as a third that is owned by a private collector. Add to that the 35mm camera neg from the cut 1933 reissue as well as the original release 35mm soundtrack negative. So if and when this restoration is ever completed, it should look pretty damned good.

It is either the Mussolini print or the Rohauer print you saw the frame blow ups from, I'm not sure which copy they were taken from.

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brooksie

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:08 pm

There was recently an interesting discussion elsewhere on exactly how King of Jazz was intended to look - in particular the 'Rhapsody in Blue' sequence, which in some versions contain shades of blue that seemingly should not have been achievable under the standard red/green 2-strip Technicolor format (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadzppD9Rv8).

It seems that a combination of optical illusion and unusual dye mixes were used to achieve the effect, but whether it was present in the original version is a matter for debate, because prints definitely exist that have the more standard red/green look.

Some sources say that the blue sequence was enhanced in the 1933 reissue, but I have seen original publicity and reviews from the 1930 release that definitely mention specific shades of blue that can't be mistaken - 'duck egg', 'robin's egg', and 'Alice blue' for example - as well as descriptions of the palette as 'pastel'.

It could be that the tones of 1995 restoration, which look washed out to us, are actually closer to the original release than the other version, even though that version looks closer to what we expect from 2-strip Technicolor. Hopefully if there is an official release, some further research will settle the matter. It's interesting that one way or another, the film was trying to innovate within the narrow constraints of the 2 colour format.

David Alp

PostFri Sep 27, 2013 7:31 pm

If you compare that YouTube clip of Rhapsody in Blue with my post of the still frames from "Rhapsody In Blue" there is a vast difference. It looks BLUE on the YouTube clip, but green on my pics posted above.
Last edited by David Alp on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brooksie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 am

Yes, but that's the point. It seems that there were differently coloured versions around, the most obvious difference being that in one, the Rhapsody in Blue sequence was properly blue, as it appears in the 1995 video release. It could be that you are assuming that the 1995 version is a poor transfer; in fact it may be closer to the original 1930 version that was described in reviews as 'pastel'.

Jack Theakston

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I've honestly never seen examples of Technicolor changing their dye, and since it had to be so specific for technical reasons, I doubt that they actually did for one film. More likely, the reviewers were simply tricked into thinking they were seeing a color that actually wasn't there. This is known as the Land Effect.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

earlytalkie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm

I've had The King Of Jazz on video since 1987, the date on that videocassette from MCA being 1984. The 1995 issue is simply a re-issue of that earlier one, which I now have transferred to DVD. Reading about this film way back in the '80s, critics suggested that the original prints were tampered with to give a truer blue color. I accepted this as fact until I read some contemporary reviews from 1930 which talked about color effects, "blue and green and red" being present in the film. The Wikipedia page for KOJ describes how careful mixing of certain dyes within two-color Technicolor can create a pleasing blue effect, but the recipie is tricky. The screen captures of this newly-discovered print look awfully green and quite dark. The color on my DVD from the original video looks greenish-blue when viewed closely. From a distance it looks more blue. This is the same greenish-blue shade seen on my restored Dixiana disc. At this point I think you'll have to find someone who saw the film in a theater in 1930 to get a definite answer as to which version is the most accurate to the original.
Last edited by earlytalkie on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Theakston

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm

There was no special blend of dye. The composite video transfer was botched.

J. Theakston

earlytalkie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:27 pm

For further evidence, check out the King Of Jazz trailer on YouTube. I'll bet anything no one "botched" the transfer on this, and the color matches the VHS feature much more closely than this new print.

Jack Theakston

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:32 pm

If you are referring to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SamJFuhFZYc then yes, that is botched, too.

The scan in my above post is NOT from any "new" print, but from the aforementioned collector's print.

J. Theakston

Rob

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Folks, Jack knows what he is talking about. There is absolutely no way one can make any kind of a definitive judgement from an old video transfer about the precise way the KOJ looked when it was first released - particularly so, that horrible looking 1980s VHS. That tells you nothing. The trailer you see on Youtube was taken from a video transfer - that was made from a 16mm print - that was made from a 16mm negative - that was made from a 35mm print. LOTS of color changes can take place over all that copying. The only way to make an accurate judgement is to examine an original release 35mm print, and I know for a fact that Jack has done just that.

Rob

earlytalkie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm

It's very unlikely that this ancient trailer had any restoration, botched or not. It was never a part of any video release. In fact, I was unaware of it's exsistance until a few years ago. SO sorry that I mislabeled that screen capture. I really don't think it's all that important which print is the "accurate" one, as it dosen't appear that Universal will do anything with this title anytime soon. I'm not making any definitive judgement, but I don't take others as definitive, either. All I'm saying is the trailer matches the print on the VHS more than the "collector's print". Nor do I find the print on the VHS tape to be as "horrible" as has been said. Some of the material is battered to be sure, but there are some segments that look pretty good for an 83 year-old film. If this film were thought to be lost, or only available in b/w like some films of this type, you can bet a print like the one on the old VHS tape would be heralded as a major find by these same types who denigrate it now. The Technicolor in the finale for Gold Diggers of Broadway, for example, is "washed out" to a much greater degree than anything in KOJ, but that piece of film was hearlded as a major find by film restoration types. Let a better, more complete copy be found, and that "major find" will be called "horrible".

Brooksie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Well, I'm not going to push the point, but I'm just going to repeat once more that there is evidence in the primary source material. I don't know why original reviews would make specific reference to a blue sequence if there was not a blue sequence. I think the matter would reward further research.

earlytalkie

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Brooksie wrote:Well, I'm not going to push the point, but I'm just going to repeat once more that there is evidence in the primary source material. I don't know why original reviews would make specific reference to a blue sequence if there was not a blue sequence. I think the matter would reward further research.

For some insight on how the color effects were possibly achieved in King Of Jazz, check out the detailed information on the Wikipedia page for KOJ. I say possibly, because I'm not sure that I believe everything written on Wikipedia, but I don't have a closed mind to the possibility that this info might be at least partially true. I've also read reviews from the period which talk about blue sequences, and colored lighting rather than white to achieve other effects.

Jack Theakston

PostSat Sep 28, 2013 11:25 pm

OK, live in your (blue) dream.
J. Theakston

BGM

PostMon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 pm

I think that the color saturation and effects were determined by the art director. I have read that pleasing turquoise shades were possible . The Technicolor company was under great stress due the the increased use of color and found it hard to keep up with demand-the company didn't have enough technical staff. Technicolor was also building a new processing plant. We forget that these films were a product and I am sure that I have read somewhere that studios released what we would call "ugly" prints in order to meet demand and that only the perfect prints were sent to large markets-questionable prints were sent to other parts of the country or world.. Barrois's book A Song In The Dark goes into great detail as to what the process was capable of...Brick reds, gray green greens,pink,turquoise,browns,tans,golds,brassy beige. The color in Eddie Cantor's Whoopee really has some great color scenes but others not so much -I think it also depended on the take used.

Rob

PostTue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 am

BGM wrote:The color in Eddie Cantor's Whoopee really has some great color scenes but others not so much -I think it also depended on the take used.

If you can make this claim, I'm assuming you have seen an original 1930 35mm nitrate release print? If not, what print / media have you seen on WHOOPEE? The 35mm prints that were exhibited in the 1970s were (I believe) made from the original camera negative, but they were new prints, color balanced and graded entirely by technicians of the 1970s, who more than likely had never seen an original release print. The 1990s laser disc release and current Warner Archive dvd are presumably mastered from one of those 1970s 35mm prints and "digitally enhanced" in their own regard.

I would love to know how you can say with any authority how the film looked in it's original 1930 release. I do not want to be disrespectful of anyone's opinions or ideas on this topic. But I am continually amazed by the amount of people who have contributed to this and similar discussions on Nitrateville and elsewhere who believe that accurate and authentic representations of how these early color films looked upon their original releases can be ascertained by viewing digitally enhanced dvds or fifth generation, low-resolution postings on YouTube.

I feel confident all these 2-color films looked pretty good in 1930. The people who photographed these pictures were masters at their craft. And yes, it is a fact that Technicolor issued good and not-so-good prints. But that being said, there is no substitute for having the luxury of inspecting and projecting an original release print.

Is this such a difficult concept to understand? If you were an art historian, how could you make such judgments about Grant Wood's "American Gothic" or Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" before seeing the original paintings at the Chicago Art Institute?

I just cannot understand this idea of seeing a copy so far removed from the original version and making definitive judgments about it's image and color qualities.

Rob

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 11:36 am

This exchange of information is most fascinating, tho' a trifle complicated. I first saw KING OF JAZZ in 1973 on a b/w television (as,I suspect many viewers in England did) and have seen it a number of times in varying conditions. I was also unaware that the print was from a cut-down reissue, tho' I knew it was from several prints. My own copies are alas, very washed out indeed, so I look forward to a new print. And, yes, it is difficult to judge a film without having seen a decent or original copy. Thank you also for the reference to A SONG IN THE DARK, which I shall order in due course!

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Brooksie wrote:Well, I'm not going to push the point, but I'm just going to repeat once more that there is evidence in the primary source material. I don't know why original reviews would make specific reference to a blue sequence if there was not a blue sequence. I think the matter would reward further research.

Might it have been possible in some cinemas that there was a showman projectionist who put a blue gel in front of the projector during the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence? :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

David Alp

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 am

Donald Binks wrote:

Might it have been possible in some cinemas that there was a showman projectionist who put a blue gel in front of the projector during the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence? :D

Blue Gel over in front of the Projector? I dunno about that? Rob and Jack would know?? But I don't think that would be possible at all!!!!!!! The reason being is that if that were the case then ALL of the actors in "Rhapsody In Blue" would have to wear white, (in order for the blue to show up against their clothing), and this is just NOT the case, they all wear coloured costuming of various green tones or other...

ANYWAY!!! Just to put this to bed ONCE AND FOR ALL! Take a look (below) I have taken the Youtube clip; and then also the recently found frame blow up; and compared the two! As you can see, the Youtube clip has been changed to blue, whilst the original 1930 Frame Blow Up of the guys at the piano is in green. If you go to 06:10 and hit pause you will see an EVEN GREATER COMPARISON!!!

(GO TO 06:10 and CLICK ON PAUSE)

SEE WHAT I MEAN? JUST LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE IN BLUE/GREEN BETWEEN YOUTUBE (ABOVE) AND THE REAL COLOUR AS SEEN BY 1930 AUDIENCES BELOW!!!!

barry byrne

PostFri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 am

" Here in the UK "King Of Jazz" was broadcast on Channel Four television on Christmas Eve night 1987...."

Sadly, the prospect of Channel 4 ever showing any movie like this now must be as remote as a personal appearance by Paul Whiteman. Once a cutting edge channel, sadly now something else.

David Alp

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Rob wrote:I posted this update on the KOJ restoration in the "Gray Market Universals" thread on September 5th, but I guess it bears repeating:

Rob

BUMP!

Anyway, so I'm not the type of person who can just sit back and do nothing. This thread is now several months old and nothing new is happening!

Rob; do you have any further news of the restoration at Universal?

Is there any news coming on The Vitaphone project on the next issue would anyone know?

If not, what idea's do we have?

I have an idea. Would it be worth starting up a petition on-line for Universal to restore the film and get it out to us on Blu-ray release to show that us; the people want the film released? Would everyone on here sign the petition? It would show that lots of people are interested in the film and are willing to pay good money to buy it. Rob, you say that it's going to cost approximately half a million Dollars to restore. I wonder if it would make that money in sales of blu-ray?

Harold Aherne

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 pm

David Alp wrote:I have an idea. Would it be worth starting up a petition on-line for Universal to restore the film and get it out to us on Blu-ray release to show that us; the people want the film released? Would everyone on here sign the petition? It would show that lots of people are interested in the film and are willing to pay good money to buy it.

Online petitions are useless unless they have a focused goal and are delivered to someone who has the power to effect change. They aren't a magic wand to get people or (in this case) corporations to change their behaviour; those who organise and sign petitions need to show some level of commitment to a cause beyond just adding their name -- which in this case only shows a sort of vague interest in King of Jazz. Something more concrete would be needed for a petition to work.

I don't know what kind of grants might be available to help in the preservation of KOJ; as Universal is a for-profit corporation, it's beyond the scope of the National Film Preservation Foundation's grant program.

-HA

LouieD

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Most of the nuts on this forum should realize two things before opening their yaps about stuff like this over and over. 1. Preservation of films takes time and 2. Film preservation is NOT free. I would certainly LOVE to see some of the complainers here actually put up some $$$ to fund a restoration of some movie rather than sit on their butts in front of a monitor all day and just complain that they don't have a certain film on blu-ray yet.

That rant out of the way, "King of Jazz" was added to the National Film Registry in 2013. According to the Library of Congress website, films selected for the National Film Registry will be "preserved as cinematic treasures for generations to come."

So there you have it. It will be preserved and being on a list like this almost guarantees some funding will be spent on a complete restoration and preservation. So cool your jets, kids, things take time in film land.

David Alp

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 pm

LouieD wrote:Most of the nuts on this forum should realize two things before opening their yaps about stuff like this over and over. 1. Preservation of films takes time and 2. Film preservation is NOT free. I would certainly LOVE to see some of the complainers here actually put up some $$$ to fund a restoration of some movie rather than sit on their butts in front of a monitor all day and just complain that they don't have a certain film on blu-ray yet.

So cool your jets, kids, things take time in film land.

Who the heck do you think you are talking to? I've been at work all day on my feet! Not "Sitting on my butt in front of a monitor all day complaining that I don't have a certain film on blu-ray yet"

And don't refer to me as a "kid" as I am 45 years old.

And also, do NOT refer to me as a "nut on this forum opening my yap". I find those remarks, and YOU offensive.

MODERATORS - I wish to complain. Can we have some kind of decorum please. I will not be spoken to like that as I am not used to it. Can you do something about it please as I DO NOT tolerate on-line bullying. Thank you. Sort it out please, now.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Yes, it was inappropriate of Louie to call people "nuts." That's exactly the kind of personal invective we don't allow here.

Beyond that, there is merit to some of his observations which is worth considering, however they were phrased.

There, have I succeeded in pleasing nobody yet?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

LouieD

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:There, have I succeeded in pleasing nobody yet?

Maybe?
Next

Return to Talking About Talkies