Why can't we..."Meet Danny Wilson?"

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Phillyrich

Why can't we..."Meet Danny Wilson?"

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 7:36 am

"Meet Danny Wilson" is an odd mish-mash of a film made in 1951, but enjoyable nonetheless. It's part film noir, melodrama, comedy and musical, with a shoot-out at night in a baseball park in San Francisco! It stars Frank Sinatra, Raymond Burr and Shelly Winters.
The film was on a vhs release for a long time. I have it. The dvd though, exists only as a Region 2 edition. I guess for Europe only. Why no dvd release here? Music copyright? Didn't a rock band name themselves after this film? It's sort of a cult item.

Marr&Colton

Re: Why can't we..."Meet Danny Wilson?"

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 5:31 am

Part of the problem is its production company---Universal. For some reason their classic DVD releases are much more sparse, in spite of their "Vault Series". The best thing to do is go on their website and demand more of their classics such as MEET DANNY WILSON. This indeed is a largely unseen Sinatra title I would love to see on a hiqh quality DVD release. Yes, sometimes there are story rights, music rights and other issues preventing older pictures from seeing wider release on digital media.
Unlike Fox, MGM, Warners, RKO and Columbia, which have lots of their 30s, 40s and 50s titles available on DVD, Universal
has lagged behind, mostly releasing their monster films and some Paramount titles they own.

Ray Faiola

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 7:23 am

I have a beautiful 16 print of MEET DANNY WILSON. It's a pretty good film and sort of a dress-rehearsal for THE JOKER IS WILD.

What was the reason for MGM not renewing Sinatra's contract? Was it because of the Ava Gardner affair? After ON THE TOWN he made the penny dreadful DOUBLE DYNAMITE for RKO and then DANNY WILSON. Next was FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and zoom!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Ray Faiola wrote:I have a beautiful 16 print of MEET DANNY WILSON. It's a pretty good film and sort of a dress-rehearsal for THE JOKER IS WILD

Which is also currently unavailable on home video (has it ever been available?). Apparently you can stream it via Amazon and presumably elsewhere though.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

bobfells

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Phillyrich, it's well worth the relatively small cost to invest in a Region free dvd player. Having one opened up seeing a lot of studio official releases that aren't available in the U.S.

coolcatdaddy

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 6:06 am

Another Sinatra outing that's missing in action is "Johnny Concho", a late 50s Western where Sinatra plays a bad guy. There's a release of it in Italy, but only with an Italian dubbed soundtrack.

It's particularly curious, since it was an attempt to replicate the success of other serious tv-to-big screen small-scale dramas of the period like "Marty" - the script was originally done for television and the personnel involved in the production were from tv drama anthologies.

It appears to be one of those indie productions distributed by United Artists, so it may be just "orphaned", with no current big studio owner to license it or release it on video.

silentmovies742

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am

Joker is Wild had a rare TCM showing over here in the UK a couple of weeks back, but in pan and scan!

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 2:59 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:Joker is Wild had a rare TCM showing over here in the UK a couple of weeks back, but in pan and scan!

U.S. TCM have also shown it in the past, but I don't think they've aired it in this decade. Part of the problem may be due to the fact that it was a Paramount release, which requires more effort/$$$ for them to run it. If a P&S transfer is all that's available from Paramount, maybe they simply refuse to air it until something better comes along.

Was Sinatra ever in any other Paramount releases? Mostly I think of his films as MGM, RKO, Columbia or Warner Bros. properties.

EDIT: I see a few of his films (The Manchurian Candidate, Hole in the Head) were United Artists releases, and his Tony Rome films were through 20th Century Fox.

And I see Come Blow Your Horn was also a Paramount title, but generally it's a studio I don't think of as acquainted with Sinatra.

Christopher Jacobs

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 12:27 am

There's currently a variety of Frank Sinatra films available on Blu-ray, ten titles so far (a few just this year), from a wide variety of original studios, not all of which have released the Blu-ray themselves. These include a mostly dramas and action films, a couple of musicals, and a couple of comedies. If MEET DANNY WILSON is actually still owned by Universal, there's probably minimal chance of a Blu-ray edition. If it somehow got transferred to Paramount , it could show up as an Olive release, and if MGM/UA managed to wind up with it, there's an outside chance Fox might release it.

Here are the Sinatra films now on Blu-ray, followed by studio and Blu-ray distributor...

THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS (1948) RKO - Olive
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953) Columbia - Sony
SUDDENLY (1954) United Artists - Image and Film Chest
GUYS AND DOLLS (1955) Goldwyn - Warner
PAL JOEY (1957) Columbia - Twilight Time
OCEAN'S ELEVEN (1960) Warner Brothers - Warner
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962) United Artists - MGM (Fox)
COME BLOW YOUR HORN (1963) Paramount - Olive
VON RYAN'S EXPRESS (1965) 20th Century Fox - Fox
ASSAULT ON A QUEEN (1966) Paramount - Olive

Marr&Colton

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

Was able to buy a very nice quality DVD in PAL region 2 from Amazon UK a couple years ago.

precode

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Universal recently did preservation on WILSON; I saw it and it looks fine. The reason it's not on DVD is simply the same reason thousands of other Univ and pre-49 Par titles aren't: Their home entertainment division doesn't give a crap about anything in its library made prior to 1970 unless there's a monster in it. The fact that they've spurned most overtures to sub-license titles from folks like Kino Lorber and Twilight Time proves it's more than just simple neglect.

Mike S.

Ray Faiola

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 am

I think there are rights restrictions on Paramount releasing THE JOKER IS WILD on home video. I offered them a 45 minute film of Joe E. Lewis doing his unexpurgated nightclub act (shot by JOKER director Charles Vidor) and they had no interest.

I don't think the cable master is pan-and-scan. I believe it's full frame.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 am

Reminds me of finding official DVDs (not bootlegs) of Hellzapoppin' and the Alan Ladd version of The Great Gatsby while in Australia.

Still no sign of them showing up in North America any time soon.

Return to Talking About Talkies