Animal Cruelty-No Animals Were Harmed

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Spiny Norman

Re: Animal Cruelty-No Animals Were Harmed

PostFri May 27, 2016 2:21 am

On the other hand plenty of countries still allow bullfighting or foxhunting, which is essentially also killing animals purely for entertainment. Only it's live instead of filmed.
This is nøt å signåture.™

westegg

PostFri May 27, 2016 6:49 am

One grotesque relic of circa '30s movies is seeing allegedly fashionable women wearing furs that include the head of the dead animal draped around their neck. :|

As for fox hunting and bullfighting, it'd be a better world without those barbaric "sports."

And don't get me started about the new Todd Solodnz "Weiner Dog" movie. Even if faked, it's a hateful sounding movie.

Brooksie

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 am

Some of us who were at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival have been discussing the shocking sequence that opens the Ukranian film Dva Dni, aka Two Days (1927), which was shown over the weekend (spoilers ahead).

The film opens with a family of aristocrats packing their belongings to escape the Bolsheviks. There's a small black puppy running around, and in the confusion, a suitcase falls on him and he's killed. This brought an audible gasp from the audience, because it appeared that the animal was crushed for real. Even worse, its corpse becomes a symbol of what happens to the household when the Bolsheviks take over - one of their dogs digs it up and drags it out of the ground.

You can tell yourself that standards were different at the time, but it seemed pretty extreme even for 1927. I'd be interested to know how that went over with original audiences. To disconcert us from the start was no doubt the filmmaker's intention, but it still left a lot of us ill-disposed to the film, and thinking that the point might have been made just as well via implication.

greta de groat

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Brooksie wrote:Some of us who were at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival have been discussing the shocking sequence that opens the Ukranian film Dva Dni, aka Two Days (1927), which was shown over the weekend (spoilers ahead).

The film opens with a family of aristocrats packing their belongings to escape the Bolsheviks. There's a small black puppy running around, and in the confusion, a suitcase falls on him and he's killed. This brought an audible gasp from the audience, because it appeared that the animal was crushed for real. Even worse, its corpse becomes a symbol of what happens to the household when the Bolsheviks take over - one of their dogs digs it up and drags it out of the ground.

You can tell yourself that standards were different at the time, but it seemed pretty extreme even for 1927. I'd be interested to know how that went over with original audiences. To disconcert us from the start was no doubt the filmmaker's intention, but it still left a lot of us ill-disposed to the film, and thinking that the point might have been made just as well via implication.

It's been a long time since i saw it, but didn't Lacombe, Lucien begin with him picking up a chicken or something and then casually wringing its neck?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

George O'Brien

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 pm

That mean ole Murnau got a little pig drunk in SUNRISE.

Which brings to mind the W. C. Fields line, "It was a woman who drove me to drink. And I never had the decency to thank her"
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

In October (1927), at about 16 minutes in there is a horse that is certainly "stressed" if not killed. The implication is that it is shot, along with a number of people. It is later shown as if it is dead, with a fluid under it, indicating blood, and then later very dead looking…

In the recently restored Little Orphant Annie (1918), a little kitten is thrown around several times. I hope it wasn't really hurt. Maybe the goblins'll git whoever did that.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

The Blackbird

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

Don't forget the stunning moment in IN OLD KENTUCKY where a galloping horse is tripped by a wire so violently you'll think the poor thing must have broken every bone in its body. Thank you, Will Rogers!

ChrisStockslager

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 am

So I have read rumors about horse and human injuries in the making of both Ben Hur films. Can someone fill me in on what exactly happened during the production of both films?

westegg

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 am

I believe the first Ben Hur resulted in horse deaths.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies