MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

earlytalkiebuffRob

  • Posts: 2749
  • Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 3:33 am

Recently watched BE YOURSELF! (1930) with Marjorie 'Babe' Kane in a small, but very noticeable part. She seems to have projected a similar image to her namesake Helen, though it looks like they were not related. Was there any kind of connection or influence? Just seems a bit more than a coincidence...
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline
User avatar

entredeuxguerres

  • Posts: 4726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Location: Empire State

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 4:53 am

For a long time I assumed she was Helen's better looking sister, but...not so.

Watch for her all-too-brief, but absolutely smokin', scenes, in The Great Gabbo. HOT??? Don't know what prevented spontaneous combustion of the nitrate.
Offline

earlytalkiebuffRob

  • Posts: 2749
  • Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 9:15 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:For a long time I assumed she was Helen's better looking sister, but...not so.

Watch for her all-too-brief, but absolutely smokin', scenes, in The Great Gabbo. HOT??? Don't know what prevented spontaneous combustion of the nitrate.


Will have to do that. Watched GABBO more than a dozen years back on the BBC, no less! My television was playing funny games at the time so was lucky to see it at all. I remember a couple of pals being very dismissive at the time, tho' found it worth watching despite some of the musical interludes being heavy-going.
Offline

busby1959

  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
  • Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Recently watched BE YOURSELF! (1930) with Marjorie 'Babe' Kane in a small, very but noticeable part. She seems to have projected a similar image to her namesake Helen, though it looks like they were not related. Was there any kind of connection or influence? Just seems a bit more than a coincidence...

There were a bunch of Helen Kane wannabees at the time. Margie Kane, Annette Hanshaw, Bonnie Poe and Mae Questel to name a few. For my money, Margie Kane was the greatest. I just finished watching her in THE DANCE OF LIFE - cute as a button and wonderful screen presence. I may be the only person in the world who can sing every lyric to "Every Now And Then", "The New Step" or "The Flippity Flop" at the drop of a hat. Thank you, 'Babe'!
Offline
User avatar

entredeuxguerres

  • Posts: 4726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Location: Empire State

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 am

busby1959 wrote:There were a bunch of Helen Kane wannabees at the time. Margie Kane, Annette Hanshaw, Bonnie Poe and Mae Questel to name a few. For my money, Margie Kane was the greatest. I just finished watching her in THE DANCE OF LIFE - cute as a button and wonderful screen presence. I may be the only person in the world who can sing every lyric to "Every Now And Then", "The New Step" or "The Flippity Flop" at the drop of a hat. Thank you, 'Babe'!


So strange that Annette Hanshaw would distort her beautiful voice into a Helen Kane imitation; pressure from the record company, I'd like to believe. I don't know that she recorded "Every Now And Then," but she did record Margie's "I Want To Be Bad," from Great Gabbo; impossible to believe such a sweetheart as Annette could ever be even marginally "bad," but Margie...have mercy!
Offline

busby1959

  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
  • Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
busby1959 wrote:There were a bunch of Helen Kane wannabees at the time. Margie Kane, Annette Hanshaw, Bonnie Poe and Mae Questel to name a few. For my money, Margie Kane was the greatest. I just finished watching her in THE DANCE OF LIFE - cute as a button and wonderful screen presence. I may be the only person in the world who can sing every lyric to "Every Now And Then", "The New Step" or "The Flippity Flop" at the drop of a hat. Thank you, 'Babe'!


So strange that Annette Hanshaw would distort her beautiful voice into a Helen Kane imitation; pressure from the record company, I'd like to believe. I don't know that she recorded "Every Now And Then," but she did record Margie's "I Want To Be Bad," from Great Gabbo; impossible to believe such a sweetheart as Annette could ever be even marginally "bad," but Margie...have mercy!

I think the reason Ms. Hanshaw occasionally lapsed into that "poo poo pah doo" type of vocalizing was simply because it was in vogue at the moment. Every time has its distinctive sound and every one will try to emulate it...it's no different today (except what's being copied now was garbage in the first place). But I agree with you on her voice - absolutely sublime. "I Want To Be Bad" was Zelma O'Neal in FOLLOW THRU, and despite O'Neal's success on Broadway and early talkies, as a singer she left much to be desired.
Offline
User avatar

entredeuxguerres

  • Posts: 4726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Location: Empire State

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:17 am

busby1959 wrote: ..."I Want To Be Bad" was Zelma O'Neal in FOLLOW THRU, and despite O'Neal's success on Broadway and early talkies, as a singer she left much to be desired.


The mental image I retain of Margie in Gabbo momentarily scrambled my brains; thanks for the correction. Yes, tom-boyish Zelma is another whose capacity for serious "badness" would be much in question; she's pleasant enough, but no competition at all to Margie...or Annette. I'd love to hear the latter sing "Every Now & Then," but in her own voice & style.
Offline
User avatar

boblipton

  • Posts: 5185
  • Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
  • Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Bah! Don't try to say anything less than fawning about Miss Hanshaw. It would simply reveal your ignorance. When she had Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang backing her, she could be all things at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Z5GOgsiV4

Bob
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers
Offline
User avatar

entredeuxguerres

  • Posts: 4726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Location: Empire State

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 1:33 pm

boblipton wrote:Bah! Don't try to say anything less than fawning about Miss Hanshaw. It would simply reveal your ignorance. When she had Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang backing her, she could be all things at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Z5GOgsiV4" target="_blank

Bob


Not bad, but I can't wait to see this number given a no-expense-spared blow-out Bollywood production.
Offline

BixB

  • Posts: 300
  • Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 am
  • Location: Cincinnati

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Margie's latest film appearance that I've seen was as a French maid in the Stooges NO CENSUS, NO FEELING.
Joe Busam
Offline
User avatar

entredeuxguerres

  • Posts: 4726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Location: Empire State

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 1:38 pm

BixB wrote:Margie's latest film appearance that I've seen was as a French maid in the Stooges NO CENSUS, NO FEELING.


Did Yola D'Avril refuse the part? (Good for her.)
Offline

busby1959

  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
  • Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostThu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 am

entredeuxguerres wrote:
BixB wrote:Margie's latest film appearance that I've seen was as a French maid in the Stooges NO CENSUS, NO FEELING.


Did Yola D'Avril refuse the part? (Good for her.)

Yes, Yola certainly did play quite a few maids, didn't she?
Offline

busby1959

  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm
  • Location: Cathedral City, California

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostFri Sep 05, 2014 7:50 pm

busby1959 wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Recently watched BE YOURSELF! (1930) with Marjorie 'Babe' Kane in a small, very but noticeable part. She seems to have projected a similar image to her namesake Helen, though it looks like they were not related. Was there any kind of connection or influence? Just seems a bit more than a coincidence...

There were a bunch of Helen Kane wannabees at the time. Margie Kane, Annette Hanshaw, Bonnie Poe and Mae Questel to name a few. For my money, Margie Kane was the greatest. I just finished watching her in THE DANCE OF LIFE - cute as a button and wonderful screen presence. I may be the only person in the world who can sing every lyric to "Every Now And Then", "The New Step" or "The Flippity Flop" at the drop of a hat. Thank you, 'Babe'!

Upon re-watching what remains of the 1930 GOOD NEWS, I noticed that Dorothy McNulty/Penny Singleton also sang in that Helen Kane style, minus the boops.
Offline

Scott Eckhardt

  • Posts: 165
  • Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 am

Re: MARJORIE 'BABE' KANE

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

In Gale Storm's autobiography, "I Ain't Down Yet," Gale states that her stand-in while filming MY LITTLE MARGIE was ".....a woman named Babe Kane." So it seems possible that this talented lady spent the waning days of her carrer doing menial work like this.

Return to Talking About Talkies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests