Escapade (1935) with Luise Rainer

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Escapade (1935) with Luise Rainer

PostWed May 20, 2015 3:45 am

With the passing of Luise Rainer, I had hoped that her first film, "Escapade", unseen since the late 30s thanks to copyright issues, might have become a priority for possible restoration and release for the nice people that run the annual TCM festival, and of course, a subsequent Bluray.

Does anybody here have the inside track on its progress from movie limbo to general circulation once again? (If any)
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

filmnotdigital

Re: Escapade (1935) with Luise Rainer

PostThu May 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Brendan: It's not quite accurate that Escapade hasn't been seen since the 30's. I caught it at David Packard's Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto in the mid 90's. Perhaps you can contact him to learn how he pried it open from the vaults.

brendangcarroll

PostFri May 22, 2015 1:29 am

I'm glad to hear it got shown and that you saw it. I think the studios occasionally permitted screenings at Arthouse cinemas and in Universities for films like ESCAPADE. I rrecall that THE CONSTANT NYMPH (withdrawn when its literary copyright expiered in the late 40s) was also occasionally shown for such purposes, but that commercial screenings were never possible. LETTY LYNTON (1933) is another case, thanks to a plagiarism case brought by a writer who claimed MGM had stolen the plot. Then there's RASPUTIN & THE EMPRESS (1932) which was long buried owing to a libel suit brought by the surviving Romanoff family. However, these tangles can be untangled - NIGHT FLIGHT and NYMPH being two recent cases in point.

I live in hope....
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Rob

PostFri May 22, 2015 4:15 am

And it was run at Cinecon in 1994, with Luise Rainer in attendance.

Rob McKay

missdupont

PostFri May 22, 2015 8:07 am

MGM DID steal the plot of LETTY LYNTON, which their attorney admitted in the Court of Appeal. The playwrights won. MGM appealed to the Supreme Court, which refused to hear the case, meaning the Appeals Court verdict stands. The only way to overturn a Federal Court decision is to have the US Congress pass a law overturning it, so until that happens, LETTY LYNTON will never be seen, as the ruling stated ALL prints were to be removed from circulation and never seen again. If MGM had followed the law, this would never have been a problem.

filmnotdigital

PostFri May 22, 2015 8:56 pm

And to correct Brendan one more time (sorry to be so pedantic) Escapade was actually not her first film, according to Imdb she made three earlier movies in Germany, one of which, Sehnsucht 202 (1932) has been reviewed from a bootleg DVD by "bbtwist" on that site, the two other German ones- now those are really rare- have not turned up so far but maybe one of our knowledgeable European contributors has more information on them.

delticpete

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 pm

can anyone help me with this
some years ago i bought a brand new 16mm film in 6 tins 400' on each reel, but for some reason reel one was missing, the film is called THE CONSTANT NYMPH 1928 with starring Ivor Novello and Mabel Poulton
any idea anyone
thanks

drednm

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Letty Lynton is alive and well ... just not on any official release.

The Constant Nymph was considered lost for decades but was found and shown at various festivals in UK. Author Margaret Kennedy placed an extended copyright (I forget the details) and the 3 film versions were locked up for years but I believe that has passed. I thought Kevin Brownlow was working on a restoration of the 1928 version (which is superb) but haven't heard anything about it for years. Maybe there was another legal snag.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

MDJimenez

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Does anyone know why Reunion in Vienna (1933) with Diana Wynyard, Frank Morgan & John Barrymore has not been shown on TCM or released on DVD? I saw the George Eastman Museum's print of it at The Museum of Modern Art for the film series, Vienna Unveiled: A City in Cinema (February 27–April 20, 2014).

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

missdupont wrote:MGM DID steal the plot of LETTY LYNTON, which their attorney admitted in the Court of Appeal. The playwrights won. MGM appealed to the Supreme Court, which refused to hear the case, meaning the Appeals Court verdict stands. The only way to overturn a Federal Court decision is to have the US Congress pass a law overturning it, so until that happens, LETTY LYNTON will never be seen, as the ruling stated ALL prints were to be removed from circulation and never seen again. If MGM had followed the law, this would never have been a problem.

A rather washed-out copy of LETTY LYNTON turned up on YT a few years back. I did manage to download it, but have not played it yet.

aldiboronti

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 2:53 pm

That's the copy I have and it's quite watchable. Reunion in Vienna also came from YT.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm pretty sure this was shown at a Cinecon with Rainer in attendance.
Randy

Return to Talking About Talkies