"Horsefeathers" restoration?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Re: "Horsefeathers" restoration?

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 5:49 am

Dear Todmichel

Could you possibly post a link to the web site listing the 1941 Jeykll & Hyde differences? Thanks in advance.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

brendangcarroll

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 5:55 am

Someone in this thread asked about the cut musical number from " A Day at the Races". I posted this out-take on my Youtube channel featuring Allan Jones, and the link is:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HgaLZDlwdtg

I do not know if the number was actually filmed. Does any one know?
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

todmichel

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 7:18 am

brendangcarroll wrote:Dear Todmichel

Could you possibly post a link to the web site listing the 1941 Jeykll & Hyde differences? Thanks in advance.

Oh, sorry, I just forgot to include the link.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=897474

You'll be amazed by the number of differences, I think.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 pm

wingate wrote:When I first saw Day at the Races on BBC tv the water ballet sequence was shown but I have never seen it since.Also there is a song which has cut which Groucho reprises at the finale.I wonder if the original number exists.

Many years back, I watched DAY AT THE RACES late-night on BBC, and one section (Margaret Dumont in the dentist's chair, etc) was repeated. Can't recall if any of it was skipped, but I don't think the announcer apologised at the end.

BudAbbott

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 12:44 am

There was a clean, non-splicy print of "Horsefeathers" shown in New York in December of 1973. I saw it -- and the friend I saw it with recently mentioned it, too.

Joe Adamson's theory, when I discussed this with him some years back, was that it was probably an old nitrate print that has since vanished.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 11:16 am

Apparently the latest restoration of Horse Feathers still has the cuts, but according to DVD Savant's friend Gary Teetzel, who attended a recent screening of the new transfers, the restored Animal Crackers has some lines restored thanks to a British dupe neg that kept the scenes intact.

When the film started and we got to "Hooray for Captain Spaulding," the audience burst into applause when Groucho's long-censored line ("I think I'll try to make her,") following Margaret Dumont's "He is the only white man / To cover every acre") was heard for the first time in decades. Other restored bits:

When Lillian Roth comes up to Chico saying she's been looking for him, Chico has a restored line about how she should have come looking for him last night.

During the letter-dictating scene, there's a bit where Groucho is dictating and says "Elise--no, scratch that" and Zeppo replies "You want me to scratch Elise?" Groucho has a reply, but I've already forgotten it. Later in the scene, Zeppo is reading back the letter and reads out "Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga and McCormack. Scratch Elise." Groucho snaps, "Now you've got McCormack scratching Elise!" and there's a little more back and forth.

In the scene where Margaret Irving tries to get the painting back from Harpo and he keeps handing her newspapers, there's a restored bit where she says to him "You know what I want!" and Harpo gives a naughty smile. When they start chasing each other around shortly thereafter, he smacks her on the behind with one of the papers.

Image quality is once again a massive improvement over what was released on DVD, with the almost non-stop scratches and dirt gone. It looks great.

As for Horse Feathers, Mr. Teetzel had this to say:

Not much to say about the last of the 4K Marx Brothers restorations, Horse Feathers. Sadly, the scene where the boys visit Thelma Todd is still peppered with censor cuts. It's another good-looking job overall. There are a handful of scenes where there is some bad jitter in the source element that has not been quite eliminated. Barring a better source element turning up, it's hard to imagine the film looking much better than this.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Richard Warner

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 7:36 am

Any word on how Cocoanuts looks and sounds now?

Dirwuf

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Richard Warner wrote:Any word on how Cocoanuts looks and sounds now?

Robert Weide, producer of "The Marx Brothers in A Nutshell", saw the LA premiere and says the film is now about 80% pristine, with the old dupey reels and muffled audio still accounting for the rest...

Richard Warner

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks!

frankebe

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 2:25 pm

[/quote]
Not much to say about the last of the 4K Marx Brothers restorations, Horse Feathers. Sadly, the scene where the boys visit Thelma Todd is still peppered with censor cuts. It's another good-looking job overall. There are a handful of scenes where there is some bad jitter in the source element that has not been quite eliminated. Barring a better source element turning up, it's hard to imagine the film looking much better than this.

Looks like a job for... CGI.

I ACTUALLY believe that one could use computer generated imagery to make up for missing frames in many old films. After all, Robert Wise did for his original Star Trek movie, and I've seen it—looks pretty good! Especially interesting is the scene where you SEE the crew walk out on the "honycome walkway...supplied by V'ger"... even the the actors were not recalled for the far shot... (heh)...

http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/s/startrek01tmp.shtml

Now I realize we're stepping into disturbing territority when it comes to restorations. I mean, you can fix a broken pot from a Egyptian tomb, but... if you only have a little shard and you MAKE the rest of the pot, say, 90% of it, on your 21st Century potter's wheel.... how much has it been "restored" versus, rather, having been made anew, and you are no longer looking at the original artifact.

Well, in some cases, I wouldn't care. For instance, the "loading the rocket" scene in the restored hand-colored "Trip to the Moon" really looks like a black-and-white film all colored in. Take a look at what they had to work with and I don't see how they could possibly have restored the original. But... I do NOT care! I prefer that scene over the opening scene with all the flicker and jumping around that drives me crazy.

So I say... DO IT. If it can look truly realistic, some day, some one, restore Horsefeathers with... CGI characters!

Ha ha! I bet some of you are spitting at your computer screen at me!

rondohatton

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Hello. Not to beat a dead horse(feathers) but for what it's worth, I can tell you with great certainty that an uncut print of the movie existed as late as 1973-74. That was my senior year in high school and also the time the Marxes were enjoying a minor resurgence on college campuses nationwide. My friends and I were heavily into anything Marx and knew all about the missing bits in Horse Feathers.
When a local theater announced a triple feature of Monkey Business,Horse Feathers and Duck Soup we were first on line. When Connie Baileys apartment scene played through without a hitch we were in awe. We knew exactly what we had just seen and we talked about it for weeks, wondering why this print was never used on TV.
I don't know if it was 35 or 16mm but it was complete.
This was on Long Island NY.

-Mike
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies