The 'pinky ring' - the 'Murphy Bed' for the next millenium

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: The 'pinky ring' - the 'Murphy Bed' for the next milleni

PostThu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 am

Jim Roots wrote:
brendangcarroll wrote:Please allow a British member to make an observation. In this country, up until the late 20th century, the "pinkie ring" was a covert symbol of the wearer being homosexual or at the very least, bisexual.

In fact, I believe that is where the term "pinkie finger" originates.

I have no idea if this applied in America or if this hidden signal cooresponds to the actors who have been "spotted" but I thought I would throw it into the discussion.

If you had questioned Al Jolson's sexuality, I'm pretty sure he would have punched your lights out. And that pinky ring would have left scars where it landed.

Jim

It wouldn't be the first time an American adopted a foreign practice without understanding its cultural significance.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

silentfilm

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 pm

I saw three pinky rings at the Kansas Silent Film Festival this weekend. Charley Chase wears one in Crazy Like a Fox (1926). In a clip from The Affairs of Anatol (1921), Wallace Reid is wearing one. And finally, Thomas Meighan was also wearing one in Why Change Your Wife? (1920).

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but could it sometimes mean 'my wedding ring doesn't fit me any more' or 'this belonged to my grandpa /father / uncle / brother and is too small'. I ended up with my late brother's ring a while ago, and not being into such things (aside from cuff-links and a pocket watch when trying to look posh) thought it a waste of money to have it altered.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies