Zeus DVD's

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

smokey15

Zeus DVD's

PostTue May 10, 2016 9:13 pm

I happened to come across a website for Zeus DVD's. It appears as if it has many hard to find films.
Does anyone know about this group or has anyone ever ordered from them?
I remember a similar website called "Loving The Classics" that also claimed to carry rare titles and I also
remember all the complaints from people who said to stay away from them.
Is this another scam ? Can anyone help? I'm amazed at some of the rare titles they claim to have but they say nothing
about quality. In fact, the website itself seems very vague so I'm hesitant about ordering anything from them.

Brent

Re: Zeus DVD's

PostTue May 10, 2016 9:59 pm

If you do a search you’ll find numerous references to Zeus and LtC in these forums. This article will provide a lot more info.
Quick answer: they’re both scammers, stay well away.
Brenton Film: The past, present and future of silent film
BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

Marr&Colton

PostWed May 11, 2016 10:03 am

Bootleg DVDs cheat everyone---especially the buyer who usually gets a murky poor quality dupe transfer.
Send emails to the websites of the classic division of the movie companies---requesting releases. There have been
hundreds of rare titles released in the last few years---all in nice quality which is a joy to watch.

For some strange reason the common complaint with ALL gray market sellers is poor service and no recourse.

smokey15

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for the warnings. I'll keep away from those sites. I'm glad I inquired.

2trainsrunnin

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 8:03 pm

I can recommend Zeus.. I bought Quick Millions and Zoo in Budapest from them about a month ago.. a desperate measure after dealing with Loving the Classics for 8 months.

Zeus was prompt - I had the discs in two weeks or so (to Sydney Australia) - and, when I did get to compare them with LtC's product, excellent. Leave LtC alone - very poor outfit.

ClayKing

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:Send emails to the websites of the classic division of the movie companies---requesting releases. There have been
hundreds of rare titles released in the last few years---all in nice quality which is a joy to watch.

I would guess that every member of this forum has at least one unique holy grail film, not released on video, that they wish they could see.

So if the studio gets several hundred e-mails each asking for a different film......

Sometimes the only way to see a film is through the gray market. I've seen quite a few that way, many with awful quality. But at least I was able to view the film... Which you can't do if the film is sitting in a vault or not transferred to digital because there's no financial incentive to do it.
-Rich

aldiboronti

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm

ClayKing wrote:
Sometimes the only way to see a film is through the gray market. I've seen quite a few that way, many with awful quality. But at least I was able to view the film... Which you can't do if the film is sitting in a vault or not transferred to digital because there's no financial incentive to do it.

I can't count the number of early films that I wouldn't have been able to see without the aid of the gray market. I feel no guilt at all if I've sometimes transgressed copyright law. Am I supposed to wait until the copyright holders decide to issue a DVD? We all know that with many classic old movies that will never happen. These films deserve to be seen and enjoyed. The only real crime here is the fact that these wonderful creations of the 20s, 30s and 40s are still in copyright at all. I suppose we have Mickey Mouse to thank for that.

Return to Talking About Talkies