Gangster films

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Scar Face

Re: Gangster films

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Anybody like Dance Fools Dance? Is it a real gangster picture? Worth buying a dvd to see?

Scar Face

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 4:50 pm

I Just watched the People's Enemy 1935. It was ok, there are a ton of gangster pictures from 35 it seems, most with a G-man storyline (Whipsaw for example). Anybody know any good ones from 35? Has anyone seen the Public Enemy's wife with Cesar Romero as the hood? He's good in Show them no mercy and that one where he adopts the kid

Scar Face

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Nobody with opinions on Dance Fools Dance

Scar Face

PostSat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 am

Anybody seen Undercover man starring george Raft 1932? Is it a straight up gangster picture? i know he is a good guy in disguise as a gangster but is it any good?

R Michael Pyle

PostSat Sep 24, 2016 5:33 am

Scar Face wrote:Anybody seen Undercover man starring George Raft 1932? Is it a straight up gangster picture? i know he is a good guy in disguise as a gangster but is it any good?

I enjoyed "Under-Cover Man". To answer your question, "Yes, basically". "Dance, Fools, Dance", on the other hand, is good, but certainly not great. If you're into Gable, "The Secret Six" and "The Finger Points" from the same year are better. And - "A Free Soul" with Gable in that year is a great classic. All have Gable playing the other side of the law.

Scar Face

PostSat Sep 24, 2016 5:43 am

Thanks mike, I'll have to check out undercover man. I have secret six and the finger points so i was hoping dance fools would be another epic gangster flick from 31

Scar Face

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Anybody ever seen Hell Bound with Leo Carrillo from 1931?

Scar Face

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:36 pm

There were an insane amount of gangster pictures in 1931 aside from the big three. Little known pictures like Quick Millions, Dance Fools Dance, Secret Six, Finger Points, Bad Company, City Streets, Smart Money. I wouldn't consider A Free Soul but you could. What other 1931 pictures am I missing? There must be more specifically from 1931

Scar Face

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 am

How is Outside the Law 1930 not more well known? I'm watching it for the second time. The ominious Tod Browning gangster flick starring Edward G. Robinson! It's like a dark twisted Little Caesar with Cobra Collins looking even flashier than Rico. How come this film isn't a classic? Alibi is another movie that has a similar auteurist vibe. It's from 1929 but it flows much smoother than say the very rough Born Reckless from 1930.

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am

Although not a gangster picture per se, the Leo Carrillo 1931 picture "The Guilty Generation" does involve a bootlegger and his son and is very involving and engaging. Look for Boris Karloff, Robert Young, and Constance Cummings.

Scar Face

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Although not a gangster picture per se, the Leo Carrillo 1931 picture "The Guilty Generation" does involve a bootlegger and his son and is very involving and engaging. Look for Boris Karloff, Robert Young, and Constance Cummings.

Yes the Guilty Generation belongs on that list as does The Criminal Code!

Scar Face

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:02 pm

jcp7701

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am

Scar Face wrote:What about Young Donovan's Kid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Donovan's_Kid" target="_blank" target="_blank

As a Richard Dix fan, would love to know, but I believe that it's lost. Happy to be corrected, of course.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am

jcp7701 wrote:
Scar Face wrote:What about Young Donovan's Kid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Donovan's_Kid" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

As a Richard Dix fan, would love to know, but I believe that it's lost. Happy to be corrected, of course.

The fact that F. Gwynplaine McEntire never reviewed it is a positive sign. I've read it was one of those titles that couldn't be cut for post-code reissue, due to elements like Karloff's character Cokey Joe and the portrayal of the police throughout the film.

Also, I love how Dix has the same facial expression on nearly every single movie poster. Or the RKO poster artist just kept using the same photo for reference, over and over.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Scar Face

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

What about fugitives from 1929? It was written by Rowland and Quick Millions and Blood Money are two of the best films I've ever sene. I haven't seen Hell's Highway or the movie State's Attorney so I'll have to give them a watch.

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Scar Face wrote:What about fugitives from 1929? It was written by Rowland and Quick Millions and Blood Money are two of the best films I've ever sene. I haven't seen Hell's Highway or the movie State's Attorney so I'll have to give them a watch.

Both Hell's Highway and State's Attorney are worth seeing, and they turn up on TCM from time to time, which is how I first saw them.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Scar Face

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm

What about the Public Enemy's Wife from 1936 with Cesar Romero as the gangster? I have not seen too many gangster pictures from 1936, and things seem pretty watered down by that point

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Scar Face wrote:What about the Public Enemy's Wife from 1936 with Cesar Romero as the gangster? I have not seen too many gangster pictures from 1936, and things seem pretty watered down by that point

Don't know "Public Enemy's Wife", but the year before's "Show Them No Mercy" (1935), also with Romero and Bruce Cabot is quite good. As for '36 having "watered down" gangster films, I don't think either "Petrified Forest" or "Bullets or Ballots" are especially watered down. Rather, both are classics in the genre. Though it's not a "gangster" film, per se, Bogart's "Black Legion" was also released at the end of '36, and its theme of hooded legion-men, similar to the KKK, is close enough. As for other gangster stories from '36, "Exclusive Story" is actually pretty good. "I'd Give My Life" revolves around gangsters, though the film isn't a "gangster film" itself.

radiotelefonia

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Drug dealers in 1937.

alernate recording

Scar Face

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Oooh nice post! Here's Hell's Highway on youtube. There's a link for State's Attorney too but I'm not sure if I should post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnY5XoV8Pk

Scar Face

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Scar Face wrote:What about the Public Enemy's Wife from 1936 with Cesar Romero as the gangster? I have not seen too many gangster pictures from 1936, and things seem pretty watered down by that point

Don't know "Public Enemy's Wife", but the year before's "Show Them No Mercy" (1935), also with Romero and Bruce Cabot is quite good. As for '36 having "watered down" gangster films, I don't think either "Petrified Forest" or "Bullets or Ballots" are especially watered down. Rather, both are classics in the genre. Though it's not a "gangster" film, per se, Bogart's "Black Legion" was also released at the end of '36, and its theme of hooded legion-men, similar to the KKK, is close enough. As for other gangster stories from '36, "Exclusive Story" is actually pretty good. "I'd Give My Life" revolves around gangsters, though the film isn't a "gangster film" itself.

I've seen Show Me No Mercy and I like it, Romero is a tough gangster. Whipsaw is another good one from 35. But by 35 the main character is always working on the right side of the law of course. Like Chester Morris in Public Hero #1 or G-Men. I'm not fond of Petrified Forest other than Bogie's walk and stance with the hands hanging which I'm pretty sure he copped from Cagney. Bullets or Ballots is great but it's not raw like the early 30's pictures.

radiotelefonia

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 am

Scar Face wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:

I've seen Show Me No Mercy and I like it, Romero is a tough gangster. Whipsaw is another good one from 35. But by 35 the main character is always working on the right side of the law of course. Like Chester Morris in Public Hero #1 or G-Men. I'm not fond of Petrified Forest other than Bogie's walk and stance with the hands hanging which I'm pretty sure he copped from Cagney. Bullets or Ballots is great but it's not raw like the early 30's pictures.

But nobody here has seen the movie I brought about drug dealers in 1937.

Scar Face

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 am

No I haven't seen but I'm planning to watch it. I just watched the Exclusive Story and Corsair tonight. What was the name of the movies you posted? The video doesn't show up for me anymore
Last edited by Scar Face on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scar Face

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 am

Anybody know where to find a copy of Escape from Crime the Picture Snatcher remake? I saw it when they showed it on TCM a few years ago and I like the opening bank shoot out. Picture Snatcher has one of the best shoot outs, Bad Company has another great shoot out scene.

Scar Face

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 am

Doorway to Hell and Born Reckless came out in 1930 so why does Born Reckless (directed by John Ford) have such lower production values than Doorway to Hell. They came out about 6 months apart. Was Born Reckless filmed much earlier and delayed? I mean the film looks like a high school play compared to Doorway

Scar Face

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 am

What about Deception !932? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022750/" target="_blank

Scar Face

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 2:44 am

Why are Quick Millions and Bad Company so forgotten?

Scar Face

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:28 am

Who has seen The Ruling Voice from 1931?

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 7:54 am

Scar Face wrote:Who has seen The Ruling Voice from 1931?

Until recently I had a recorded VHS tape of "The Ruling Voice" that I took from the old TNT network. Used to be shown often there. I'm not sure, it may be shown currently on TCM. Good show, too, but then anything with Walter Huston in it is good.

Scar Face

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 8:55 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Scar Face wrote:Who has seen The Ruling Voice from 1931?

Until recently I had a recorded VHS tape of "The Ruling Voice" that I took from the old TNT network. Used to be shown often there. I'm not sure, it may be shown currently on TCM. Good show, too, but then anything with Walter Huston in it is good.

Would you consider it a gangster picture in the sense of the Beast of the City?
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Talkies