The Bronx Cheer in the Cinema

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

The Bronx Cheer in the Cinema

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 1:37 pm

A handful of recent viewings (AIR MAIL, FLYING HIGH, THE CACTUS KID, WINGS OF ADVENTURE - I think) have featured characters (including Mickey Mouse) giving raspberries / Bronx Cheers, which presumably disappeared with the Code a few years later. Was this a specific feature of it or just something producers shied away from?

maliejandra

Re: The Bronx Cheer in the Cinema

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 8:41 am

My favorite Little Rascal (Wheezer) did it a lot in the late silents/early talkies. I think it was considered to be a rude gesture so it was censored later on.

Brooksie

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 2:53 pm

There's nothing specific in the Code to prohibit Bronx Cheers (or the bodily act that they were presumed to represent), but they might have been considered prohibited - or at least inadvisable - under Section III:

III. VULGARITY

The treatment of low, disgusting, unpleasant, though not necessarily evil, subjects should be subject always to the dictate of good taste and a regard for the sensibilities of the audience.

Donald Binks

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Brooksie wrote:T
III. VULGARITY

The treatment of low, disgusting, unpleasant, though not necessarily evil, subjects should be subject always to the dictate of good taste and a regard for the sensibilities of the audience.

Thanks Brooksie! One wonders why then that this particular clause of the code is still not maintained? I think it must have something to do with having a regard for the sensibilities of the audience. Audiences have now set themselves very low standards which they have great difficulty in maintaining!

:D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 2:23 pm

...and Goodness Knows what they'd have made of DUMB AND DUMBER...

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 9:39 am

Or 21st century politics!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 2:21 pm

maliejandra wrote:My favorite Little Rascal (Wheezer) did it a lot in the late silents/early talkies. I think it was considered to be a rude gesture so it was censored later on.

Yes, in BOUNCING BABIES (1929) he does one in reply to his baby brother who had just done the 'real thing'...

In addition, LOOKING FOR TROUBLE (1933/4) has Spencer Tracy sitting on a 'whoopee cushion', in what seems to be the earliest example of this in film...

wich2

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 2:46 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Or 21st century politics!

They would not have been shocked in the least.

wich2

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Donald Binks wrote: Audiences have now set themselves very low standards which they have great difficulty in maintaining! :D

Or...

We have decided to take The Bard's advice about the drammer more seriously!

"...whose end, both at the
first and now, was and is, to hold, as 'twere, the
mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature,
scorn her own image, and the very age and body of
the time his form and pressure."

Donald Binks

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 4:48 pm

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote: Audiences have now set themselves very low standards which they have great difficulty in maintaining! :D

Or...

We have decided to take The Bard's advice about the drammer more seriously!

"...whose end, both at the
first and now, was and is, to hold, as 'twere, the
mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature,
scorn her own image, and the very age and body of
the time his form and pressure."

Alas poor Wich, for that light through which yonder window breaks, is humour, it is not strained and should droppeth upon the ears beneath. "What have you got in the sack?"......"Ears!" Two bee or not two bee, it shall still sting thee on the lips methinks.

(stands mid stage, waits for applause. Not a sausage, save a lone cry from the rear - "Get off!")
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

BenModel

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:31 pm

A couple of Bronx cheers are lobbed in "The Battle of the Century" (1927).

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Penfold

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 am

Slightly surprised that no-one has mentioned the Charles Laughton's Clerk sequence in If I had a Million.......the same sequence is also shown in a silent Ozu-directed film, Woman of Tokyo; the protagonists go to the cinema, and we see Laughton's clerk get the telegram, march past the rows of desks, and enter the boss' office.....and that's all. Whether the Bronx Cheer (or Raspberry, this side of the pond) meant nothing in Japan, or was deemed too offensive, or the disrespect to the boss was seen as too shocking in itself.......others may know. Yet the way it plays out, it makes no sense unless the Japanese audience know, like we do, what is coming......so maybe Ozu is assuming his audience had already seen the full sequence, and may even be teasing it by cutting the money shot, as it were......though it is also possible that the sequence is missing from the surviving print, and it was there when first released.

Nine minutes in, if you would like to see Ozu quoting Lubitsch.....silently :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7FEyP4tLU

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
I could use some digital restoration myself...

The Blackbird

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 am

The Three Stooges blow off Ted Healy, Jimmy Durante and Jack Pearl in MEET THE BARON. In one of their shorts, WHOOPS I'M AN INDIAN, Larry almost gives Curly a bronx cheer during a fight over a turkey when Moe tells him, "Give him the bird...."

Return to Talking About Talkies