Films with New Year's Eve parties in them

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Lokke Heiss

Films with New Year's Eve parties in them

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 2:45 pm

It's that time of year, and my mind swims with decades of films I've seen that have New Year's Eve parties in them, with people in crowded parties and nightclubs, with dancing, singing, confetti flying, champaign popping - with everyone in the room having the best time they've ever had, in the best New Year's Eve party they've ever been to (except for maybe the lead character, who as the clock strikes twelve, realizes he or she should be with someone other than who they are with).

My two questions: 1) What's the BEST or favorite New Year's Eve party you've ever seen in a film? And 2) What's the CLOSEST you've ever got to anything like what you've seen to a New Year's Eve party as the way it happens in a movie?
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

R Michael Pyle

Re: Films with New Year's Eve parties in them

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 3:30 pm

1) "After the Thin Man" (1936)
2) I don't go to New Year's Eve parties...period...

mwalls

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 3:48 pm

I believe Bachelor Mother had a New Year's Eve party. And of course, the Poseidon Adventure.

Matthew

Changsham

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 3:54 pm

The memorable ending to ONE WAY PASSAGE 1932 and it's remake TIL WE MEET AGAIN 1939.
Stopped going to New Years parties years ago.
Last edited by Changsham on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mwalls

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 3:59 pm

Would the drinking scene of The Phantom Carriage count as a party? BTW, that will be my viewing choice for this evening.

Matthew

Lokke Heiss

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Yes, and Phantom Carriage is a GREAT film.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

Rick Lanham

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 6:28 pm

1. I guess Chaplin's The Gold Rush and Wilder's Sunset Boulevard aren't the best parties… but they are certainly memorable.

2. The best New Year's Eve I spent was at a theater in San Diego. There was a host who showed his favorite shorts, clips, movies through the night. Lots of fun and it was the first time I remember seeing Fats Waller on film.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Brooksie

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Though the Artists Ball sequence in So This Is Paris (1926) isn't set on New Years' Eve, it certainly lets you imagine what such a party might have been like. Sadly, I am yet to attend a party like that myself. Mine tend to be a little more like the one in Sunset Blvd (1950). :)

greta de groat

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm

What's the one with Charles Winninger yelling "Hap--py New Year"--that's the first thing that springs to my mind. Show Boat?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

bradleyem

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 8:36 pm

In REPEAT PERFORMANCE (1947), two New Year's celebrations are central to the plot.

David Alp

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:29 pm

"Rosemary's Baby" (1968)

"The year is ONE!!!"

bobfells

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm

THE SINGING FOOL (1928) has a memorable New Year's party where Al Jolson calls home (he's working at a night club) only to have the maid tell him that his wife has left him and took little Sonny Boy with her.

I spend New Year's Eve with family and a few friends - quiet and sober.

BGM

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 11:27 am

Holiday Inn 1942 love the number Kissing the New Year In...Kissing the Old Year Out-plus seeing Fred Astaire tipsy dancing! Looked like a great party!!!!!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Two in a Crowd (1936), an obscure semi-screwball comedy starring Joel McCrea & Joan Bennett, begins on New Year’s Eve. McCrea and Bennett, who don’t know each other, are stuck in a crowd of revelers in Times Square. Meanwhile, a small group of decadent, wealthy underworld types are holding a party in a penthouse overlooking the square. At midnight—for convoluted reasons—one of the gangsters tears a $1,000 bill in half and tosses it down to the revelers. McCrea finds one half, Bennett finds the other. That’s how they meet cute, and the story is underway.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this one. It’s got a great cast, but from what I recall it starts well but gradually peters out. (That promising opening was the most memorable thing about it.) Looks like it was conceived as a comedy-drama but was recut for comedy, excising significant sections of the crime story, and leaving some plot points dangling.
-- Charlie Morrow

silentfilm

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 11:31 pm

When Harry Met Sally (1989) ends with a great New Year's Day scene.

The Gold Rush (1925) is one of my favorites.

More suggestions: http://www.rd.com/culture/new-years-eve-theme-movies/

smokey15

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 12:06 am

Two New Year's eve parties come to mind. In "The Divorcee" the ending has Norma Shearer and her ex husband Chester Morris getting back together at a New Year's Eve party. The other film is "Made For Each Other" with Carole Lombard and James Stewart. I don't remember the exact plotline but I remember the scene at the party with all the party favors and party people celebrating the arrival of the new year.

odinthor

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 am

Only Yesterday (1933) has a good New Year's Eve bash (and, yes, the one in whatever version of Show Boat always springs to mind on NYE).

Addressing question #2, the most movie-like NYE party I've ever been to--if "sort of been to" counts (I'll explain in a moment)--was at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel just three years ago. The humiliating "sort of" goes like this: I had had a lot of adventures (don't ask) before I arrived at the hotel for the beginning of my stay two days earlier (I combined a stay there with the party--very convenient for, um, various reasons), resulting in a sleepless night December 30. After an early dinner December 31, I thought I'd freshen up by catching a few winks before the party began . . . and didn't wake up until 15 minutes after midnight. Even worse, I had a pool cabana room opening out into the party area, the partiers literally just four steps away from my poolside door; and in my dreams, I heard the countdown . . . but not enough to wake me up. :-( As it happened, it was a bitterly cold night, so the party pretty much started dwindling after the countdown. But from what I saw of the remains of the party, it looked ripe for moviedom. Moral: Don't have adventures two days before a NYE party.
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

Scoundrel

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:54 am

New Years Eve 1933 is celebrated in MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

sherry

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 am

Scoundrel wrote:New Years Eve 1933 is celebrated in MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM

A couple of GIFS of the scene:

bobfells

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 am

Garbo's second talkie, ROMANCE (1930), is framed by New Year's Eve where Edward Nugent goes to see his grandfather Gavin Gordon. I'm rather fond of this movie and it's one of the few films based on a play by Edward Sheldon. He was a successful playwright and a pal of the Barrymore brothers. Ned (as he was called) and John B sojourned to Italy in 1914 just before WWI and it remained a tender memory of the world there before it all changed. Sheldon went blind a few years later and John always visited him whenever he was in NYC.

Ok, this has nothing to do with New Year's Eve but it's a nice association of ideas. :)

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 1:48 pm

The Gloria Swanson film FINE MANNERS (1926) has two New Years' Eve parties, one dull, and one lively. And THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM * (1933) starts with celebrations, if not a party.

Not sure if the opening of SCARFACE (1931/2) is New Year's, although from memory, it looks like it...

*just noticed was pipped to the post on that one!

George O'Brien

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 pm

George Cukor's Holiday (1938) has two: a big bash given in a 5th Avenue Townhouse to announce Julia Seton's engagement, and a small party given in a playroom on the top floor by Linda Seton (Katharine Hepburn) for a few select friends.

There was a Broadway musical much later, employing Cole Porter songs, called, happily, "Happy, New Year!"
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

maliejandra

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 am

Happiness Ahead is a great one with Dick Powell and Josephine Hutchinson

luluthebeast

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 am

I'm new here, but I was always partial to the hold-up in LITTLE CAESAR (1931).

odinthor

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 6:08 pm

My word, how could we all forget Sex (1920), which begins with revelers at a theater on NYE, then continues to a wild party, still on NYE?
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:00 am

odinthor wrote:My word, how could we all forget Sex (1920), which begins with revelers at a theater on NYE, then continues to a wild party, still on NYE?

Oh, you mean the movie!

filmtechnz

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 pm

I know we are over half way through the year but have just joined.

One notable omission is from one of my favourite later films - Billy Wilder's "The Apartment"

Scott Eckhardt

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

INDISCREET (1931) Opens with Gloria Swanson and Monroe Owsley returning from a New Year's Eve party.

Return to Talking About Talkies