What is the last film you watched? (2017)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

Re: What is the last film you watched? (2017)

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

A delicious little thriller with several plot twists is Woman of Straw (1964) which boasts Gina Lollobrigida as a nurse in England who gets recruited by slithery Sean Connery to tend to his irascible billionaire uncle (Ralph Richardson) who is confined to a wheelchair. Richardson rules his empire with an iron fist and does not suffer fools gladly. Yet he eventually falls for Gina's charms, unaware that Gina and Sean have plotted and schemed for the marriage and for his money after he dies. The three stars are all terrific as is the barrage of classical music that Richardson constantly blasts thru the loudspeakers placed all over his mansion. Nice gem directed by Basil Dearden.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

bobfells

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 pm

INTERNATIONAL CRIME (1937) is a fast-paced B movie from the short-lived Grand National Pictures. Based on "The Shadow" radio series, the film stars Rod La Rocque as Lamont Cranston but transforms the character into a newspaper and radio crime reporter who uses "THE SHADOW" as his pen name. The video I watched had the great advantage of being copied from a near pristine 35mm print and it showed that the photography, lighting, and editing were every bit as good as in a film from the major studios.

La Rocque was very appealing and adroit in handling the rapid fire dialogue. Astrid Allyn played the female lead as a silly sidekick to Cranston and she was by turns charming and annoying. The supporting cast had some fine old-timers including Thomas Jackson as the police commissioner, who seemed to own that particular role. Even old John St.Polis (PHANTOM OF THE OPERA) turns up. Directed by Charles Lamont who later joined Universal as one of its stalwart directors.

Finally, the funny thing about this film is that it was performed as though it was the second or third film in a series although it was a one-off. La Rocque had made THE SHADOW STRIKES earlier but the cast and characters, including Cranston, were completely different. Perhaps Grand National had meant this film to become part of a series - before the studio closed down.

oldposterho

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Got into solid Kracauer territory with 1940's Die Rothschilds, a film that is quite possibly even more abhorrent than its black-soul mate, Jud Suss. Purporting to tell the story of the international Jewish conspiracy in the form of the Rothschild banking family's rise to prominence in the late Napoleonic era, it manages to offend virtually everyone. The German aristocracy are lazy oafs, the French are only too ready to deal themselves in, the British are upper-class know-nothing snobs, and of course the Jews are...Well, you can guess. Had it not been for the Prussians, Wellington would never have defeated M. Bonaparte at Waterloo because he was too busy chasing skirts.

Competently made and utterly reprehensible.

boblipton

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 am

The last production of George Pal, Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze (1975) starts off engagingly enough, with Doc practicing yoga buck nekkid in the Arctic, then returning to New York to people trying to kill him, while he and his Brain Trust clamber around the Chrysler and GE Buildings -- the real one on Lexington and 50th. The story and acting are good, but the visuals are too cartoonish, based, I imagine, on the 1960s paperback logo and the 1940s comic book, and Doc seems to have a Bronze fetish.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Jim Roots

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 12:00 pm

boblipton wrote:The last production of George Pal, Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze (1975) starts off engagingly enough, with Doc practicing yoga buck nekkid in the Arctic, then returning to New York to people trying to kill him, while he and his Brain Trust clamber around the Chrysler and GE Buildings -- the real one on Lexington and 50th. The story and acting are good, but the visuals are too cartoonish, based, I imagine, on the 1960s paperback logo and the 1940s comic book, and Doc seems to have a Bronze fetish.

Bob

I always wondered why they didn't just cast George Hamilton in the role and save themselves a bundle in body makeup.

Jim

boblipton

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Kate Winslett and Idris Elba are in Idaho for their own purposes, but must get to the East Coast. A storm has grounded all commercial flights, but they get Beau Bridges to fly them to Denver in his Piper. When he has a stroke and crashes, leaving himself dead and Miss Winslett and Mr. Elba injured, they must get down off a mountaintop by themselves in The Mountain Between Us (2017).

It's not an amazing movie, but it's a pleasure to watch this combination of two-shots, handsome landscapes, and highly competent actors reciting lines that make sense in a situation where there is actually a story line and room for character change, that I had a very good time.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

boblipton

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Doing a bit of research preparatory to writing some comments about William Comes to Town (1948), I discovered that Richmal Crompton wrote many stories about the youngster and his pals from the 1920s until her death in 1970. They were, apparently very popular in Britain, and two movies were made in the late forties starring William Graham as the eponymous scamp. In this, the second, William goes to London to consult with the pleasant and vague Minister for Economics A.E. Matthews about having Williams' father fix the country's problems, brings a monkey home, then goes to the circus to get Mr. Matthews to write a note to get him out of trouble.

Everyone seems to live in that vague sort of middle-class world in which people keep comic servants and complain about money, where young boys dress in short pants, ties, and schoolboy caps which make perfect targets for water bombs dropped from the third floor (as I am sure Binky can attest to) and nothing bad ever really happens and no one ever quite learns a lesson, despite frequent beatings by the paterfamilias, played here by never-quite-apoplectic Garry Marsh. It's filled out with monkeys, circuses and roller coasters, and there are nice small comic bits for Jon Pertwee and Norman Pierce. And elephants!

It's all very pleasant harmless fun and must have been very comfortable for young parents who had first met William when they were children themselves, to find him just the same as they remembered him.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 3:52 pm

boblipton wrote:Doing a bit of research preparatory to writing some comments about William Comes to Town (1948), I discovered that Richmal Crompton wrote many stories about the youngster and his pals from the 1920s until her death in 1970. They were, apparently very popular in Britain, and two movies were made in the late forties starring William Graham as the eponymous scamp. In this, the second, William goes to London to consult with the pleasant and vague Minister for Economics A.E. Matthews about having Williams' father fix the country's problems, brings a monkey home, then goes to the circus to get Mr. Matthews to write a note to get him out of trouble.

Everyone seems to live in that vague sort of middle-class world in which people keep comic servants and complain about money, where young boys dress in short pants, ties, and schoolboy caps which make perfect targets for water bombs dropped from the third floor (as I am sure Binky can attest to) and nothing bad ever really happens and no one ever quite learns a lesson, despite frequent beatings by the paterfamilias, played here by never-quite-apoplectic Garry Marsh. It's filled out with monkeys, circuses and roller coasters, and there are nice small comic bits for Jon Pertwee and Norman Pierce. And elephants!

It's all very pleasant harmless fun and must have been very comfortable for young parents who had first met William when they were children themselves, to find him just the same as they remembered him.

Bob

The "William " books were popular throughout the British Empire! I grew up with them and my role as a schoolboy was indelibly modeled on him. :D I have seen some of the films (although A.E. Mathews in anything is bound to be hilarious - he was much the same in real life as he was in films) and the television series, but somehow they just don't seem to carry the same punch as did the books themselves. I actually still have a few "William" books in my library. They show good use with ink stained pages and a rather battered appearance.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm

For Love of You (1933) is a very early film appearance for Naunton Wayne. He and Arthur Riscoe are a couple of young Englishmen in Venice for Carnevale, but the couple next door, famous tenor Franco Foresta is unreasonably jealous of his wife, Diana Napier, so the two blokes, being good chaps, decide to help her out in a Crazy Comedy manner....

There are many bright spots in this movie, including extensive background shooting in Venice, some excellent operatic interludes, including Offenbach's Baccarole performed on a canal, and even the sort of silly-ass humor that the Brits excelled in during this period. It's not at all well integrated, although apparently this movie was popular enough to be re-issued over the years -- the copy I saw had pre-credit titles that indicated it dated from some time late during the Second World War.

Perhaps it was because by this time Wayne had become indelibly identified with the role of the Englishman abroad, traveling with a buddy. Fortunately, paired with Basil Radford, he was no longer distracted by women, but had his mind on higher things, like cricket.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 am

Donald Binks wrote:
boblipton wrote:Doing a bit of research preparatory to writing some comments about William Comes to Town (1948), I discovered that Richmal Crompton wrote many stories about the youngster and his pals from the 1920s until her death in 1970. They were, apparently very popular in Britain, and two movies were made in the late forties starring William Graham as the eponymous scamp. In this, the second, William goes to London to consult with the pleasant and vague Minister for Economics A.E. Matthews about having Williams' father fix the country's problems, brings a monkey home, then goes to the circus to get Mr. Matthews to write a note to get him out of trouble.

Bob

The "William " books were popular throughout the British Empire! I grew up with them and my role as a schoolboy was indelibly modeled on him. :D I have seen some of the films (although A.E. Mathews in anything is bound to be hilarious - he was much the same in real life as he was in films) and the television series, but somehow they just don't seem to carry the same punch as did the books themselves. I actually still have a few "William" books in my library. They show good use with ink stained pages and a rather battered appearance.

I too, read and thoroughly enjoyed the 'William' books, although they would seem quite hard to put effectively on screen, from my memories of one TV series of thirty or so years ago (I seem to recall one scene of William's Dad reading his daily paper which was yellowed with age!) and the couple of films I watched from a cheapo set picked up for the princely sum of a pound or two. And they date a lot better when re-read, due to Crompton's delightful satire of the adult characters, from well-meaning aunts, through pompous vicars and ill-tempered retired colonels, as well as the situations set up for ridicule.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 4:43 am

DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE ABOUT IT! (1937), from Japan, is one of those comedies of domestic life, but from an American story or novel by Richard Connell. Two parallel stories are presented: a wife dissatisfied with her weight and a husband who seems to be more interested in his work life and goldfish than her, and a husband who is continually trying to avoid his rather severe spouse's company, often going to ridiculous lengths (sneaking out during a concert intermission with a spectacularly feeble excuse) in his attempts to do so as well as drowning their sorrows in sake and the company of bar-hostesses.

Eventually the two wives have a blazing argument in a store, both insisting that their craven spouses uphold their honour. As both men (or should one say mice) are fearful of injury or death, they hatch plans to avoid any conflict...

Certainly of interest, this sort of comedy is a bit of an acquired taste, and I found it more pleasant than funny, although there is the odd amusing moment. The two husbands are spectacularly misogynistic, and one is not 100% sure if the director / writer is sympathetic to them as they come over as total boobs, incapable of even telling lies or making excuses effectively.

drednm

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 am

The Lover Lottery (1954) lampoons Hollywood, more specifically it lampoons movie stardom. In this one, David Niven stars as Rex Allerton, a swashbuckling film stars whose adoring herds of teenagers stampede wherever he appears. He's just so fed up. He quits the movies and hies to a small Italian town where he finds peace ... until he gets caught up in a bizarre love lottery that offers him as first prize. World-wide pandemonium ensues as women everywhere snap up the tickets. Chief among these are a love-struck mathematician (Anne Vernon) who works for the "math factory" that dreams up the lottery stunt, and a love-sick young woman (Peggy Cummins) who adores the movie star. Uneven but amusing. Niven seems miscast but has fun. Co-stars include Gordon Jackson, Herbert Lom, Charles Victor, Felix Aylmer, June Clyde, and Theodore Bikel.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

The Foreigner (2017) is based on Stephen Leather's novel The Chinaman. That's how the other characters see Jackie Chan's character: as an old Chinaman whose daughter had been killed by an explosion in a dress store, from a bomb planted by a wing of the IRA, breaking 19 years of peace. Jackie's search for the people who killed his daughter lead him to Pierce Brosnan, an old IRA hand, now the British Minister in charge of keeping the peace in Northern Ireland. He tries to comfort Jackie, but can't help him, when Jackie demands names... so Jackie blows up his wash room.

Jackie is not whom he appears to be, but neither is Brosnan, nor, in the end, are any of the main players, kindly, platitudinous politicians. It's a world of lies, corruption, violence and betrayal under a facade of peace and smiles that Jackie's single-minded pursuit of answers reveals: he's almost an anti-MacGuffin, appearing to matter very little to any of the people in the movie, who causes all the fuss.

Pierce Brosnan offers a fine performance as what can only be described as the Minister for IRA Relations in Northern Ireland. Chan's performance is far from his usual work, but he has always been a physical actor, more than one who works with words or facial expressions, and he lived up to my hopes as a long-time fan.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 pm

boblipton wrote:For Love of You (1933) is a very early film appearance for Naunton Wayne. He and Arthur Riscoe are a couple of young Englishmen in Venice for Carnevale, but the couple next door, famous tenor Franco Foresta is unreasonably jealous of his wife, Diana Napier, so the two blokes, being good chaps, decide to help her out in a Crazy Comedy manner....

There are many bright spots in this movie, including extensive background shooting in Venice, some excellent operatic interludes, including Offenbach's Baccarole performed on a canal, and even the sort of silly-ass humor that the Brits excelled in during this period. It's not at all well integrated, although apparently this movie was popular enough to be re-issued over the years -- the copy I saw had pre-credit titles that indicated it dated from some time late during the Second World War.

Perhaps it was because by this time Wayne had become indelibly identified with the role of the Englishman abroad, traveling with a buddy. Fortunately, paired with Basil Radford, he was no longer distracted by women, but had his mind on higher things, like cricket.

Bob

Denis Gifford's British Film Catalogue states that the film was reissued by Adelphi in 1944, with 450' trimmed from the footage. This seems to tally with David Quinlan's book British Sound Films, which quotes a longer running time than the one uploaded. Personally, apart from the odd spot, and the performance of Pearl Osgood, I found the film almost unendurable. It seems there were at least two 'Jack and Jim' films, the first one being GOING GAY, released slightly earlier than this one...

Donald Binks

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 2:25 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
boblipton wrote:For Love of You (1933) is a very early film appearance for Naunton Wayne. He and Arthur Riscoe are a couple of young Englishmen in Venice for Carnevale, but the couple next door, famous tenor Franco Foresta is unreasonably jealous of his wife, Diana Napier, so the two blokes, being good chaps, decide to help her out in a Crazy Comedy manner....

Bob

Denis Gifford's British Film Catalogue states that the film was reissued by Adelphi in 1944, with 450' trimmed from the footage. This seems to tally with David Quinlan's book British Sound Films, which quotes a longer running time than the one uploaded. Personally, apart from the odd spot, and the performance of Pearl Osgood, I found the film almost unendurable. It seems there were at least two 'Jack and Jim' films, the first one being GOING GAY, released slightly earlier than this one...

I watched this picture myself yesterday - mainly because of Naunton Wayne and Mrs. Richard Tauber.

Apart from the operatic tenor bits, there is the popular song "For Love of You" -​ words by Edward Pola - music by Franz Vienna (real name Franz Steininger. He took this "comic" name en route from Austria to America where he emigrated in 1935). This song sounds like something that would have been sung by Josef Schmidt - it sounds familiar to me? Anyway it is sung in the film by "Franco Foresta" - another silly name made up for he is really the American tenor Frank Forrest (who was of Hungarian descent - birth name Frank Hayek). It is quite a lovely song - and it is interesting to note how far we have degenerated over the years in to what now passes as "music" in the popular field.

In the film Mr. Wayne dresses up in costume for the Carnivale as "Casablanca" - the great lover - and spends most of his time plastered. Mr. Forrest sings most of his songs from a barge anchored in the middle of a canal opposite the Dodgy Palace - presumably the orchestra are in gondolas surrounding him.

It is really a film of ongoing stupidity that I supposed can raise a slight titter and all is mitigated by the musical excerpts which I gather would have accounted for its popularity more than anything else.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Revisited Gregory La Cava's Gabriel Over the White House (1933) on the weekend, one of the most remarkable films of the pre-code period, just as astonishing now as it was 84 years ago.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

oldposterho

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Perhaps the most disturbing film so far of my nazi German cinematic exploration is 1933's Hitlerjunge Quex, I think because it is vastly superior visually and thematically to the later films I've been watching. I suppose because it is so early in the whole regime that there was still a lot of talent and craft available that was missing as the years went by that they were able to make a much more sophisticated movie. It is a complex telling that, really, has more in common with Lang's M than a turgid studio B picture.

Despite the obvious fascist bias, its telling of the story of the street battles between the communists and the nazis had the ring of, well, not 'truth,' but of manipulated realism. Naturally the reds are loathsome murderers and tarts while the nazis are spiffy goosesteppers in smart uniforms but you get a sense of the internal civil unrest that was going on in the country at the time and I truly did not expect that. Frankly, it was a more than a little disturbing considering where we seem to be at in the USA at the moment.

Reading up on director Hans Steinhoff it was amusing to find out that he was shot down by the Soviets on the last plane out for Madrid, on Shicklgruber's birthday no less. How's that for irony?

drednm

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Over the Hill (1931) is an effective sentimental drama about a small-town family and spans 20 years or so. Mae Marsh, in her talkie debut, stars as Ma Shelby. In the opening scenes, she's a 30-something mothers with four kids and a shiftless husband (James Kirkwood). She works around the house like a fiend and takes in sewing and washing to feed the kids while the husband lies on the couch. The oldest son is a shifty sneak and thief. The story shoots again 20 years and Ma is a white-haired drudge, still bustling around. The kids are now grown up but their basic natures have not changed. The Christmas party and engagement of her youngest son (James Dunn) to the girl next door (Sally Eilers) is marred when Pa stupidly gets caught up in illegal activities. Dunn rescues the old fool and takes the blame and is sent to prison. A while later, all the kids have moved away except the oldest (Olin Howland). After prison, Dunn gets a job with a mining company in Alaska. He sends money every money to his brother to help support the widowed mother. But Howland steals the mother and puts the old mother in the poor farm. When Dunn finally returns and discovers what Howland has done, he makes sure his older brother gets his comeuppance.

Mordaunt Hall, in his 1931 review in the NY Times, states that the audience sprang to its feet and cheered wildly during the comeuppance. He also praised Marsh, Dunn, and Eilers for their natural acting. Excellent little small-town story, filmed several times as silents.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 pm

drednm wrote:Over the Hill (1931) is an effective sentimental drama about a small-town family and spans 20 years or so. Mae Marsh, in her talkie debut, stars as Ma Shelby. In the opening scenes, she's a 30-something mothers with four kids and a shiftless husband (James Kirkwood). She works around the house like a fiend and takes in sewing and washing to feed the kids while the husband lies on the couch. The oldest son is a shifty sneak and thief. The story shoots again 20 years and Ma is a white-haired drudge, still bustling around. The kids are now grown up but their basic natures have not changed. The Christmas party and engagement of her youngest son (James Dunn) to the girl next door (Sally Eilers) is marred when Pa stupidly gets caught up in illegal activities. Dunn rescues the old fool and takes the blame and is sent to prison. A while later, all the kids have moved away except the oldest (Olin Howland). After prison, Dunn gets a job with a mining company in Alaska. He sends money every money to his brother to help support the widowed mother. But Howland steals the mother and puts the old mother in the poor farm. When Dunn finally returns and discovers what Howland has done, he makes sure his older brother gets his comeuppance.

Mordaunt Hall, in his 1931 review in the NY Times, states that the audience sprang to its feet and cheered wildly during the comeuppance. He also praised Marsh, Dunn, and Eilers for their natural acting. Excellent little small-town story, filmed several times as silents.

Will have to find out where you got this one from!

boblipton

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Due Mogli Sono Troppe ( (1951; aka Honeymoon Deferred) stars Griffith Jones and Sally Ann Howes as a newly-married couple who are honeymooning in Italy, where he was assigned during the war. He's a rather boring young man, constantly retelling war stories. They call each other darling, repetitiously and, this being an Italian comedy, everything goes wrong, particularly when they get to where they are going and discover that he apparently has a wife and child already.

Like many Italian co-productions, there seems to be timing issues. While Italian comedies are frequently very funny, and British comedies are also, putting a couple of British actors in the hands of an Italian director and expecting them to be funny seems, at least in this instance, to be an utter waste of time as the pacing is far too slow. the comedy aspects are not helped in the least by the Neo-realist cinematography of the Italian DP, Otello Martelli, who might have done some magnificent work on Paisan, but whose stark black-and-white work here simply works to make everything more miserable.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm

The Time Element (1958) is a fascinating little TV episode from The Westinghouse Desilu Hour. It was written by Rod Serling and is said to have give rise to The Twilight Zone, which began in 1959. Story has William Bendix visiting a psychiatrist (Martin Balsam) after dreaming the same dream over and over. It places him in Honolulu on the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor, but being from 1958 he knows what's about to happen. Of course no one will listen to him. He always wakes up before the dream finishes so he has no idea how it ends. The psychiatrist can't explain the dream or even respond when Bendix insists that he's now sure it's not a dream but an instance of time travel. Say what? Bendix is excellent in the dramatic role.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 pm

In one of those fictional Mitteleuropean kingdoms that late Victorian writers were so fond of -- Graustark, Ruritania, Scythia-Pannonia-Transbalkania, but here called Austria-Hungary -- the Emperor's mother arranges for her son to marry her sister's eldest daughter. When he meets her second daughter wandering in the woods, however, they fall in love.

The charming anti-CInderella tale of Sissi (1955) is based on history, sort of, but it is brought to the screen in all its fairy-tale glory with shots of Schonbrunn Castle, Bad Ischl, lavish sets and costumes and 15-year-old Romy Schneider. Its nostalgia for the dead glories of a lavish court life, stuffed-shirt bureaucrats -- Josef Meinrad has a very funny turn as the incompetent major in charge of security -- is certainly fun to look at, so long as we remember that it's just as unreal as any Disney feature cartoon, even if there are no singing mice. If only the characters in this one didn't look so real.....

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm

boblipton wrote:In one of those fictional Mitteleuropean kingdoms that late Victorian writers were so fond of -- Graustark, Ruritania, Scythia-Pannonia-Transbalkania, but here called Austria-Hungary -- the Emperor's mother arranges for her son to marry her sister's eldest daughter. When he meets her second daughter wandering in the woods, however, they fall in love.

The charming anti-CInderella tale of Sissi (1955) is based on history, sort of, but it is brought to the screen in all its fairy-tale glory with shots of Schonbrunn Castle, Bad Ischl, lavish sets and costumes and 15-year-old Romy Schneider. Its nostalgia for the dead glories of a lavish court life, stuffed-shirt bureaucrats -- Josef Meinrad has a very funny turn as the incompetent major in charge of security -- is certainly fun to look at, so long as we remember that it's just as unreal as any Disney feature cartoon, even if there are no singing mice. If only the characters in this one didn't look so real.....

Bob

I think that it gives a rose-coloured interpretation of the K.u.K. (Austria-Hungary) - but why not? In the drab, dismal days that ensued following Emperor-King Karl's withdrawal from active engagement in matters of State, it must have seemed like a dose of Epsom Salts. In much the same way "Im Weissen Roessl" ("Whitehorse Inn") caters to this wistful nostalgia.

I suppose someone will one day write a thesis on the reasons why we need such things as these films and operettas?
Regards from
Donald Binks

Zool

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Breaker Morant. I've always liked Edward Woodward, so this is one I've been trying to see for quite a while, actually. I was finally able to get my hands on a copy yesterday. Good film. The story, the characters, the disdain the English had for the Australians, the way flashbacks were integrated into the story so.... effortlessly. If you can find a copy, it's worth a look.
Last edited by Zool on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Parker got me 2.1 million.

George O'Brien.net

boblipton

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:12 am

Donald Binks wrote:
boblipton wrote:In one of those fictional Mitteleuropean kingdoms that late Victorian writers were so fond of -- Graustark, Ruritania, Scythia-Pannonia-Transbalkania, but here called Austria-Hungary -- the Emperor's mother arranges for her son to marry her sister's eldest daughter. When he meets her second daughter wandering in the woods, however, they fall in love.

Bob

I think that it gives a rose-coloured interpretation of the K.u.K. (Austria-Hungary) - but why not? In the drab, dismal days that ensued following Emperor-King Karl's withdrawal from active engagement in matters of State, it must have seemed like a dose of Epsom Salts. In much the same way "Im Weissen Roessl" ("Whitehorse Inn") caters to this wistful nostalgia.

I suppose someone will one day write a thesis on the reasons why we need such things as these films and operettas?

I think, Donald, because I can't watch one of these spun-sugar confections without recalling that such of my family as was lucky enough to get out of that part of the world is the only part that survived. A-H may have been the least malign -- a tyranny tempered by incompetence to use the historical phrase -- but the only thing that kept the virulently militaristic and kill-all-non-Catholic folks from wreaking their will were the centrifugal forces of the various nationalities -- not the clemency of Franz Joseph, who wanted to do these things.

I suppose it's traditional -- all those Viennese operettas and so forth, and no one would ever think of a Hohenzollern waltzing, not after watching von Stroheim smash a fiddle. However, it's easier to admire the immaculate, polished floor of a ballroom when one of your grandmothers wasn't a scrubwoman who died, worn out, at 50.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 am

boblipton wrote:I think, Donald, because I can't watch one of these spun-sugar confections without recalling that such of my family as was lucky enough to get out of that part of the world is the only part that survived. A-H may have been the least malign -- a tyranny tempered by incompetence to use the historical phrase -- but the only thing that kept the virulently militaristic and kill-all-non-Catholic folks from wreaking their will were the centrifugal forces of the various nationalities -- not the clemency of Franz Joseph, who wanted to do these things.

I suppose it's traditional -- all those Viennese operettas and so forth, and no one would ever think of a Hohenzollern waltzing, not after watching von Stroheim smash a fiddle. However, it's easier to admire the immaculate, polished floor of a ballroom when one of your grandmothers wasn't a scrubwoman who died, worn out, at 50.

Bob

Your family got out. Mine got kicked out. 1918-9 was a time of turmoil - when the politicians decided they knew better and then started to confiscate (in other words steal) things. And, yes, Austria-Hungary managed, mostly, to keep a whole lot of different peoples together in some sort of co-existence - except of course for political agitators. When I was little I used to listen to stories from the people who lived during the time of Franz-Josef II and Karl. They always had a tear in their eye as they recounted those far off days - and I suppose that's why I have always had an interest. Naturally if one ever went back in time one would have to be amongst the elite, same as anyone looking at us today wouldn't want to come back as either of us but would wish to be amongst the movers and shakers. I am therefore sorry to hear of your grandmother's early demise due to her hard work.

Anyway, we are digressing away from "Sissi" - a trio of films which I suppose are only reinforcing the not too clear memories and sugar coating them to represent how everyone imagined things to be rather than how they were in reality. I would hope though that people who are not familiar with the times, might be tempted to do some research after looking at the films. The period of Austria-Hungary in which the films are set was an interesting period.
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:31 am

Donald Binks wrote:[quote="boblipton"
I think, Donald, because I can't watch one of these spun-sugar confections without recalling that such of my family as was lucky enough to get out of that part of the world is the only part that survived. A-H may have been the least malign -- a tyranny tempered by incompetence to use the historical phrase -- but the only thing that kept the virulently militaristic and kill-all-non-Catholic folks from wreaking their will were the centrifugal forces of the various nationalities -- not the clemency of Franz Joseph, who wanted to do these things.

Bob

Your family got out. Mine got kicked out. 1918-9 was a time of turmoil - when the politicians decided they knew better and then started to confiscate (in other words steal) things. And, yes, Austria-Hungary managed, mostly, to keep a whole lot of different peoples together in some sort of co-existence - except of course for political agitators. When I was little I used to listen to stories from the people who lived during the time of Franz-Josef II and Karl. They always had a tear in their eye as they recounted those far off days - and I suppose that's why I have always had an interest. Naturally if one ever went back in time one would have to be amongst the elite, same as anyone looking at us today wouldn't want to come back as either of us but would wish to be amongst the movers and shakers. I am therefore sorry to hear of your grandmother's early demise due to her hard work.

Anyway, we are digressing away from "Sissi" - a trio of films which I suppose are only reinforcing the not too clear memories and sugar coating them to represent how everyone imagined things to be rather than how they were in reality. I would hope though that people who are not familiar with the times, might be tempted to do some research after looking at the films. The period of Austria-Hungary in which the films are set was an interesting period.

Yar, Donald, but unfortunately reality and what we know of it always comes and bothers our perceptions of these hinkly-pinkly representations. I can't listen to Wagner without hearing Anna Russell shrieking "Remember Wotan?"! I had dinner with a niece a couple of evenings ago and we were discussing the fact that I am rereading the Peter Wimsey books, because when I tried the Miss Fisher stuff on TV and page, I was afflicted with all the anachronisms; not just the Shadow 18 months early, or little girls with blue bunting from the 1860s, but 21st Century characters lumbering around 1929, bold as you please. When I want a vacation in the 1920s, I want to spend some time among the natives.

There's a scene early on in Sissi in which the young Emperor says he needs to review the files of some young revolutionaries scheduled to be shot. His underling thinks efficiency is important, while the Emperor thinks justice is. My understanding of reality is that the reverse would have been much more likely.

Many years ago at an sf convention, some young woman was going on about how she had been Cleopatra -- by who I imagine she meant Kleopatra VII Philopater, as played by Elizabeth Taylor -- in a previous life. My friend, Ray Heuer, told her she had not been; he had been Cleopatra. I pointed a finger and said she and her fancy friends had ridden their horses all over my crops and destroyed them and we had starved to death.

If you're going to tell me taradiddles, tell me ones which I can accept, or make them ones which are clearly fantasies. Singing mice actually improve things.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am

Jimmy the Gent (1934) is a lightning-paced romp starring James Cagney as a "genealogist" who locates heirs to unclaimed estates. His business rival (Alan Dinehart) runs a classy outfit run by Bette Davis, who used to work for Cagney's lowbrow business. Once Cagney gets a gander at Dinehart's operation, he spruces up his outfit and the rivals go head to head trying to locate the heir of a poisoned cheese sandwich victim whose pockets were lined with money, jewels, and bonds. Cagney sports a "Von Stroheim" haircut while Davis is at the height on her bleached blonde period. But are at the top of their comic game as they hurl insults and anything they can get their hands on. Amid this zippy story are Allen Jenkins as Cagney's right-hand-man, Alice White and Mayo Methot as dumb brides, Arthur Hohl as the heir apparent, and the usual Warners players like Hobart Cavanaugh, Renee Whitney, Phillip Reed, Merna Kennedy, and Ralf Harolde. Alice White almost steals the entire show as the dippy Mabel aka Fanny.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Donald Binks

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

boblipton wrote:
Yar, Donald, but unfortunately reality and what we know of it always comes and bothers our perceptions of these hinkly-pinkly representations. I can't listen to Wagner without hearing Anna Russell shrieking "Remember Wotan?"! I had dinner with a niece a couple of evenings ago and we were discussing the fact that I am rereading the Peter Wimsey books, because when I tried the Miss Fisher stuff on TV and page, I was afflicted with all the anachronisms; not just the Shadow 18 months early, or little girls with blue bunting from the 1860s, but 21st Century characters lumbering around 1929, bold as you please. When I want a vacation in the 1920s, I want to spend some time among the natives.

There's a scene early on in Sissi in which the young Emperor says he needs to review the files of some young revolutionaries scheduled to be shot. His underling thinks efficiency is important, while the Emperor thinks justice is. My understanding of reality is that the reverse would have been much more likely.

Many years ago at an sf convention, some young woman was going on about how she had been Cleopatra -- by who I imagine she meant Kleopatra VII Philopater, as played by Elizabeth Taylor -- in a previous life. My friend, Ray Heuer, told her she had not been; he had been Cleopatra. I pointed a finger and said she and her fancy friends had ridden their horses all over my crops and destroyed them and we had starved to death.

If you're going to tell me taradiddles, tell me ones which I can accept, or make them ones which are clearly fantasies. Singing mice actually improve things.

Bob

Luckily I can divorce myself from Anna Russell messing around with Richard Wagner and still discern the music of the master himself. Likewise I can listen to Victor Borge and then hear Artur Rubenstein tickle the ivories. Life is full of juxtapositions and we have to have a little clarity in the mind sometimes - difficult as we enter the twilight years I know.

I presume the young woman you met at a Sci-Fi convention years ago would have been Warren Beatty's sister? She seemed to remember quite a few people she was in earlier lives as I recall. Luckily I can only remember my present incarnation and that taxes me enough.

From what I can gather of the late Emperor-King Franz Josef II, he scored well on justice. After all Gavrillo Princep was not executed for assassinating Archduke Franz-Ferdinand - as one example.

If you like, I can do a bit of an edit on one of the "Sissi" pictures, and put in some singing mice, perhaps the Chipmonks as well, why there might even be room for W.C. Fields or the Marx Bros in there somewhere too. Naturally this would be a special edition and its appeal is likely to be limited.
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 am

Donald Binks wrote:
boblipton wrote:

Bob

Luckily I can divorce myself from Anna Russell messing around with Richard Wagner and still discern the music of the master himself. Likewise I can listen to Victor Borge and then hear Artur Rubenstein tickle the ivories. Life is full of juxtapositions and we have to have a little clarity in the mind sometimes - difficult as we enter the twilight years I know.

I presume the young woman you met at a Sci-Fi convention years ago would have been Warren Beatty's sister? She seemed to remember quite a few people she was in earlier lives as I recall. Luckily I can only remember my present incarnation and that taxes me enough.

From what I can gather of the late Emperor-King Franz Josef II, he scored well on justice. After all Gavrillo Princep was not executed for assassinating Archduke Franz-Ferdinand - as one example.

If you like, I can do a bit of an edit on one of the "Sissi" pictures, and put in some singing mice, perhaps the Chipmonks as well, why there might even be room for W.C. Fields or the Marx Bros in there somewhere too. Naturally this would be a special edition and its appeal is likely to be limited.

A kind offer, and I thank you for it, but it is not necessary. Just because I can look around at my fellow audience members leaving the theater , talking about what a great show it was does not mean that Springtime for Hitler was not an incredible pile of s**t.... some of the tunes are quite hummable, though, gotta give it that.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Talkies