Laurel & Hardy on Blu-Ray [?]

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

David Alp

Laurel & Hardy on Blu-Ray [?]

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 11:37 pm

Okay, so are there any Laurel & Hardy fans around? I am searching for advice, as always. I've been watching a LOT of "Laurel & Hardy" on YouTube in my spare time, and to cut a long story short, I've fallen in love with them! They are just so funny!

It's made me want to start collecting their "talkie" shorts, and "talkie" features between 1929-1940 on blu-ray, but oddly enough there doesn't seem to be much choice when I search on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? "Flying Deuces" seems to be readily available on blu-ray, but I'm wanting a large collection of ALL of their shorts from 1929 onwards. I'm not much into silent comedy, so I can't really appreciate their silent output. And I'm not really interested in the colourized versions of their films, which are seemingly littered all over YouTube.

Its all very well watching them on my phone whilst travelling, or in the bath etc, but I'd much rather watch them in sparkling digital High Definition on my TV. I would settle for DVD, if Blu-Rays are not yet available?

Any collecting tips would be very welcome. Thanks guys.

Booze Movies

Re: Laurel & Hardy on Blu-Ray [?]

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 11:55 pm

Unfortunately, The Flying Dueces is about all that is available on blu-ray. However, this 10 DVD set has the vast majority of their Hal Roach sound shorts and features: https://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Essential-Collection-Stan/dp/B005BYBZKY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1483249886&sr=1-1&keywords=Stan+Laurel

In addition, this set includes a couple of 1930's titles that aren't in the 10 disc set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1MXTQ?psc=1&smid=AIRZ6WQ6RO4BW
IT CAME FROM THE BOTTOM SHELF! is a movie recommendation site, focusing on forgotten classics, lesser-known gems, and oddball discoveries. https://www.bottomshelfmovies.com

David Alp

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Thank you.

I have also found this massive 21 disc box-set for only £22.50 from UK Amazon. But once again its only DVD's. Not blu-rays in HD. (Also a lot of the space is seemingly taken up by colourized versions). But at that price its a real bargain! Has anyone got it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ft7/Laurel-H ... +hardy+dvd

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Someday the shorts will be restored and there will be a blu-ray set. Until then, the Essential Collection on DVD is your best bet. I have the Dutch version that reportedly has the same transfers as that British set and in general I think things are a bit grainier and a bit rougher than the Essential Collection transfers. Or that could be PAL playing on NTSC, who knows. For me the Essential Collection is an easy best choice for the sound films.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

todmichel

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 am

There is also a Spanish DVD set, made by Universal. If I mention it, it's because it includes the Spanish-language version of PARDON US, "De bote en bote". It was made available in the USA some years earlier but only as a mediocre VHS, and later the same company (forgot its name) released it on DVD but... from the same mediocre source. To my knowledge the Universal Spanish set is the only one to include this movie. No English subs, alas. I don't understand why the British 21-discs set didn't include "De bote en bote" - especially as they have all the presently available "foreign-languages" versions of Stan & Ollie's films (excepted for the German-speaking version of "The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case" that was found later in Russia).

dede

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Check out this info about the restorations.

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/support/laurel-and-hardy

Could be a few years yet though.

Also, read reviews here on the 10 disc collection.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=184890

Personally, I'm holding out for BluRays. I double dipped enough on the Keaton collections!

Robert W

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 pm

The various rights holders of the Hal Roach library over the years have shown little interest in exploiting the catalog on DVD in North America. The Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection was only released many many years after the DVD format debuted, and reportedly the budget was cut at the last minute because by the time they finally got around to preparing the set, the video business had already begun to move to digital, and physical disc purchases had precipitously declined (along with the outlets selling them ).

It's true that UCLA is currently on a major project to restore the L & H Roach sound shorts and features, but this is an initiative spearheaded by film buff (and major L & H fan) Jeff Joseph, who has purchased theatrical rights to the collection with the intent of making them available for theatrical and repertory use. It's not being done by the current video rights holders, who probably don't care any more about the collection than the previous owners . I don't see it as a reliable indicator that we should expect a blu-ray collection anytime soon, and more than likely we never will. I'm just grateful they are being properly preserved.

The Essential Collection is still extremely good quality (and definitely superior to the UK set) and has had a modicum of digital clean-up applied. Pieces of missing footage and original titles have been restored to shorts that have been circulating for years with dull replacement titles from the Film Classic reissues of the 1950's. You also get to see Jerry Lewis telling blatantly false stories about L & H ' s careers in the supplements. (He was friendly with Stan Laurel late in Stan's career, but apparently never paid attention to anything Stan told him.) There are high-definition digital versions available on iTunes, but I can't comment on the quality as they're only available in the U.S. store.

(Yes, those are the original Music Box steps I'm sitting on in my avatar )

Ray Faiola

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 am

The 21 disc set for L22 is worth it because it includes all their silent shorts. No, they're not restored but at that price you can at least become familiar with Stan and Babe's pre-talkie adventures.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Robert W

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Ray is absolutely correct as I forgot the UK box has the silent shorts as well. I've got them on some out-of-print Image discs as well as the infamous set put out by Michael Agee a few years ago, so I never go back to the UK box.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 am

Robert W wrote:Ray is absolutely correct as I forgot the UK box has the silent shorts as well. I've got them on some out-of-print Image discs as well as the infamous set put out by Michael Agee a few years ago, so I never go back to the UK box.

Speaking of which, what is the best/cheapest/easiest to acquire home version of BIG BUSINESS?

silentfilm

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Unfortunately, the Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy, Volume 1 disk, which is out-of-print, is your only option. It isn't cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Films-Laurel-Hardy-Collection/dp/B00000FE36

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 12:33 pm

silentfilm wrote:Unfortunately, the Lost Films of Laurel & Hardy, Volume 1 disk, which is out-of-print, is your only option. It isn't cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Films-Laurel-Hardy-Collection/dp/B00000FE36

Phooey. I had hoped that TCM would run it over the holidays, but they didn't

odinthor

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 2:19 pm

For Big Business, you could go the VHS route for--at least, at the moment--$15.95 down Amazon way.

https://www.amazon.com/Laurel-Hardy-Big ... siness+vhs" target="_blank

I have all the L&H shorts on videocassettes from this series (OK, not Hats Off), bought when they were new (the videocassettes, not L&H).
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

Saint-Just

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 5:46 am

dede

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:58 pm

The UK 21 disc DVD box set is once again on special for £22.50 on Amazon.co.uk

Correction: - just checked my invoice and I was only charged £18.75

Mark Zimmer

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Wow, that's astonishing. I felt good when I bought it for about £60 years ago. Now for that you can get the box and a region-converting player and still have money left over.

Robert W

PostSat Jan 14, 2017 9:32 am

dede wrote:The UK 21 disc DVD box set is once again on special for £22.50 on Amazon.co.uk

Correction: - just checked my invoice and I was only charged £18.75

If you don't live in the U.K. they deduct the V.A.T. tax which is a nice savings.

Dirwuf

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 pm

You are in luck, just about every L&H Roach sound film is available as an HD download thru the iTunes Store (at least in the US). I believe these are the HD transfers made in conjunction with The Essential Collection, but not issued anywhere else.

You can start your search here if you want... https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/laure ... d937933242" target="_blank

Mark Zimmer

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:15 am

todmichel wrote:There is also a Spanish DVD set, made by Universal. If I mention it, it's because it includes the Spanish-language version of PARDON US, "De bote en bote". It was made available in the USA some years earlier but only as a mediocre VHS, and later the same company (forgot its name) released it on DVD but... from the same mediocre source. To my knowledge the Universal Spanish set is the only one to include this movie. No English subs, alas. I don't understand why the British 21-discs set didn't include "De bote en bote" - especially as they have all the presently available "foreign-languages" versions of Stan & Ollie's films (excepted for the German-speaking version of "The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case" that was found later in Russia).

I went looking for this set on Amazon.es and came up empty. What was the name of the Spanish DVD set, if you know?

Return to Talking About Talkies