The Hurricane (1937)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

silentmovies742

The Hurricane (1937)

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I see that Talking Pictures TV in the UK are showing this from next week (I don't think they've shown it before). This will, I think, be the first UK TV screening in over twenty years. It's not available on DVD in the UK, and so really nice to see this coming on. Here's hoping it's the remastered version issued by Kino on blu-ray (which I don't think plays in the UK machines, sadly).

David Alp

Re: The Hurricane (1937)

PostSat Jan 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes but Talking Pictures TV is not an HD channel, so even if it were from the blu-ray, we wouldn't be seeing it in HD. You need to get a proper multi-regional blu-ray player. Its essential in the UK. (Well its essential for anyone anywhere in the world these days).

Having said that "Talking Pictures TV" seems to be getting MUCH better than in its early days. For example all of the below I have sent to record this coming week:

"Bulldog Drummond" (1929) 6am 29th Jan.
"Happy Go Lovely" (1951) 2pm 29th Jan
"The Entertainer" (1960) 4pm 29th Jan
"Pygmalion" (1938) 4pm 30th Jan.
"Cynara" (1932) at 8am 31st Jan
"The Adventures Of Marco Polo" (1938) 8am 1st Feb.
"The Hurricane" is on at 12pm on Thursday 2nd Feb.
"The Anniversary" (1967) at 10pm on 2nd Feb.
"Raffles" (1930) at 8:45am on 4th Feb.
"The Winslow Boy" (1948) at 6pm on 4th Feb.
"The Best Years Of Our Lives" (1946) at 12pm on 5th Feb.
"The Plough & The Stars" (1936) 8pm on 5th Feb
"Saturday Night And Sunday Morning" (1960) 10pm on 5th Feb.

wingate

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:29 am

I beg to differ on the above post.When Talking Pictures started we were told that it was going to show and promote British pictures.This it did exceedingly well.There were many British films screened.Some had not been on tv for 30years and there were many that had never been shown before.In the last year or so there have been many Hollywood films included,mostly poor PD copies.Whilst. they are now working their way through the Goldwyn catalosue,this is no great cause for celebration since it is keeping British films off this channel.It is the only one showing British films in any quantity.So even one American film is an intrusion,and who for heaven sake wants to see the June Allyson show!

David Alp

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 6:51 pm

wingate wrote:I beg to differ on the above post.When Talking Pictures started we were told that it was going to show and promote British pictures.This it did exceedingly well.There were many British films screened.Some had not been on tv for 30years and there were many that had never been shown before.In the last year or so there have been many Hollywood films included,mostly poor PD copies.Whilst. they are now working their way through the Goldwyn catalosue,this is no great cause for celebration since it is keeping British films off this channel.It is the only one showing British films in any quantity.So even one American film is an intrusion,and who for heaven sake wants to see the June Allyson show!

What's wrong with a mixture of both British and American films? Considering the channel runs for almost 24 hours each day, there is certainly enough time for both types of film.

wingate

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 am

At the end of each film the voice announces "thank you for supporting British films",only in that instance we aren't.There is enough American dream elsewhere.This should be purely a British channel.

Donald Binks

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 am

I think you should both count yourselves lucky you have a channel that chooses to screen pictures made before the 21st century, full stop! No such luck here in Oz.

As to a blue ray player being an absolute necessity? I don't have one. I am quite happy with DVD's.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 1:58 pm

I've been wanting to see John Ford's adaptation of The Plough and the Stars for years, saw it performed on stage in the early '90s, has it ever been available anywhere? I've never even seen it on TCM, which is odd for a RKO title.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

David Alp

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:20 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:I've been wanting to see John Ford's adaptation of The Plough and the Stars for years, saw it performed on stage in the early '90s, has it ever been available anywhere? I've never even seen it on TCM, which is odd for a RKO title.

I shall let you know what its like once I've watched it. I'm really getting into this channel! Last night I watched "Saturday Night And Sunday Morning" (1960) -- I'd not seen it for years, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I forgot how groundbreaking it was. And tonight I watched part of "The Entertainer" (1960). I shall watch the other half tomorrow.

I have also got "The Hurricane" (1937) to watch as well.

I wish I'd discovered this channel a while ago, because its choc-full of gems. I never realized till this week.

Tomorrow I see that "Raffles" (1930) is on starring Ronald Coleman and Kay Francis, so I've also set that to record. And also another early British Talkie "Dangerous Ground" (1934) with Malcolm Keen.

wingate

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 am

I have seen the plough and the stars on this channel.It appears as if Ford iS trying to emulate his success with The Informer,but fails.It is plodding and dull and fully justifies its low imdb rating

silentmovies742

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Sadly The Hurricane looked no better than my Asian DVD copy. I'd more than willingly buy a new multi-region blu ray player, but the last two I have had have conked out on me rather quickly, and so I'm holding off for the time being.

As for Talking Pictures, from my point of view, the mix of programming seems to be rather good. It's all very well using the channel to show British films, but the vast majority they were showing were already available on DVD in the UK, which no doubt didn't do sales of those titles much good. More recently, they have started filtering in titles not available at all in the UK on home video - such as The Hurricane, Dead End, Bulldog Drummond (Ronald Colman), and a batch of the old Children's Film Foundation movies. With TCM in the UK almost totally taken up with TV shows and westerns, a channel such as Talking Pictures, with all its faults, is surely to be worshipped - we haven't got anything else of this ilk, and this is a freeview channel!

wingate

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 2:49 pm

I have to disagree with some of your comments.For the first year the majority of films were British and most of them had not received a DVD release.Now they are showing the Goldwyn films which is ok,but I do object.to the Z grade American films and tv shows that are scheduled.
Furthermore Film 4 and Spike and Movies4Men also show vintage films.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 am

wingate wrote:I have seen the plough and the stars on this channel.It appears as if Ford iS trying to emulate his success with The Informer,but fails.It is plodding and dull and fully justifies its low imdb rating

That might explain why it hasn't surfaced on home video to date, although I wouldn't be surprised if there were some rights issues at play as well. As the only collaboration between John Ford and Barbara Stanwyck, you'd think there'd be more interest in it (despite whatever drawbacks it has as a film), and I have a strong interest in the era of "The Troubles" depicted in the play and film, having visited the Dublin locations of the uprising.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

silentmovies742

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Interestingly, the silent and sound version of The Informer (1929) is coming out on DVD/blu-ray in the UK in a month or two.

by wingate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I have to disagree with some of your comments.For the first year the majority of films were British and most of them had not received a DVD release.Now they are showing the Goldwyn films which is ok,but I do object.to the Z grade American films and tv shows that are scheduled.
Furthermore Film 4 and Spike and Movies4Men also show vintage films.

They do, but nothing quite as obscure as Talking Pictures. Not very often you get a silent film on either of those, for example (or anything before 1940) on either of them. There are still a fair amount of British films without DVD release on there. Conflict of Wings cropped up the other day, which I hadn't seen on TV since I was a kid (which was a while back now!).

But I think we need to remember that Talking Pictures, like all other channels, aren't specifically aimed at people like us who want obscure films that most people have never heard of. The audiences for these kind of channels in the main must be from people who want to see well-loved films again, but aren't DVD collectors. If we, as film fans or collectors or whatever you want to call us, can find a few films a week (or even a month) that raise our eyebrows and gain our interest, then we should be very thankful considering how much we own or have access too. As for the TV shows, they only take up a couple of hours a day - and if films not currently out on DVD or quality films such as the Goldwyns come at the price of a couple of hours a day lost to cheap programming, then so be it.

David Alp

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:49 pm

There are more gems coming your way on "Talking Pictures TV" (channel 81) over the coming few days in the UK. Here are some of the highlights:

"HER FIRST AFFAIR" (1932). Ida Lupino. 6am Wed 8th February.
"THE LITTLE FOXES" (1941). Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, Teresa Wright 9.20am Wed 8th February.
"BUNDLE OF JOY" (1956). Debbie Reynolds, Eddie Fisher. 12pm Weds 8th February.
"THE LOST MOMENT" (1947) Robert Cummings, Susan Hayward. 6pm Weds 8th February.
"NIGHT BOAT TO DUBLIN" (1946) Robert Newton 1:50am Thurs 9th February
"INVISIBLE MESSAGE" (1935) Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, Marion Shilling. 3.45am Thurs 9th February.
"LENA RIVERS" (1932) Charlotte Henry, Beryl Mercer. 6am Thursday 9th February.
"THE REAL GLORY" (1939) Gary Cooper, David Niven, Andrea Leeds 10pm Thursday 9th February.
"SCARLET STREET" (1945) Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett and Dan Duryea 12am Friday 10th February.
"I REMEMBER MAMA" (1948) Irene Dunne, Barbara Bel Geddes. 2am, Friday 10th February.
"PRICE OF WISDOM" (1935), Mary Jerrold and Roger Livesey. 6am Friday 10th February
"THE KID FROM BROOKLYN" (1946). Danny Kaye, Eve Arden, Virginia Mayo. 6pm. Friday 10th February.
"THE WOMAN IN QUESTION" (1950). Dirk Bogarde, Jean Kent. 10pm. Friday 10th February
"MURDER!" (1930). Alfred Hitchcock Director; Herbert Marshall, Norah Baring. 4am Saturday 11th February.
"RAFFLES" (1939 Version). David Niven, Olivia de Havilland, Dame May Whitty. 7.35pm Saturday 11th February.
"THE WEDDING NIGHT" (1935), Gary Cooper, Anna Sten, Ralph Bellamy. 10pm Saturday 11th February.

wingate

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 3:12 am

Firstly with regard to the film's listed most have already been aired on Talking Pictures.
With regard to the previous post I must disagree again.Firstly the channel is opened by Renown Pictures whose main business is selling DVDs,they continuously advertise their products.
Secondiy it is quite clear that this channel is aimed at us silver surfers who can remembrrs the film's.Otherwise why would they have so many ads reminding you about the cost of your funeral!

R Michael Pyle

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 am

Can't believe that one of the films is "Invisible Message" (which is the British title of original release title "Gun Play" and re-issued for TV as "Lucky Boots") with Guinn "Big Boy" Williams and Marion Shilling. It's a poverty row Western that nobody ever looks for - not even Guinn Williams fans...

I would like to see "The Price of Wisdom" with Jerrold and Livesey, though. The climax may be a tad corny, but Livesey made a lot of good films, and this one isn't as bad as some people say.

silentmovies742

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:09 pm

wingate wrote:Firstly with regard to the film's listed most have already been aired on Talking Pictures.
With regard to the previous post I must disagree again.Firstly the channel is opened by Renown Pictures whose main business is selling DVDs,they continuously advertise their products.
Secondiy it is quite clear that this channel is aimed at us silver surfers who can remembrrs the film's.Otherwise why would they have so many ads reminding you about the cost of your funeral!

Of course its aimed at the older generations - but do you really think the average older TV watcher is someone who comes on an internet forum and discusses old films day after day? No, they're not. It's not our very small membership that they are appealing to, but the average viewer who just wants to spend a couple of hours watching a nice film with a cup of tea and a piece of cake.

wingate

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 am

If that's the case why is the Renown film festival in Rickmansworth this week sold out?

Return to Talking About Talkies