Andy Clyde Book Update

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JLNeibaur

Andy Clyde Book Update

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm

For anyone who might be interested ---

I am currently active on THE ANDY CLYDE COLUMBIA SHORTS as my next book. There will be intro chapters on Andy’s early life, as well as his silents and early talkies.

Digging up information on Andy Clyde’s childhood, his work on stage as a child actor in Scotland for his father’s theatrical company, an early heartbreak that caused him to leave acting and become a stockbroker, and his eventual return to the stage a few years later (albeit not for his father’s company) was all pretty revealing. Usually the bios I read on Andy pretty much start with his coming to America and entering films when he was around 30 years old. A lot happened before that.

On the Internet Movie Database, it lists the Andy Clyde Columbia short HE DONE HIS DUTY as having been written by Clyde Bruckman. Ewart Adamson wrote this film, not Bruckman. Also, the cast list for this movie is limited to only a few names. It does not indicate such actors as Betty Mack, Robert McClung, William Lally, and James Leong in the cast, but these were identified by a screening of the film. This sort of double-checking is always necessary, of course, but stats on Andy’s films are pretty incomplete.

Not many people who worked with Andy are alive anymore, but I did interview Lorna Gray (Adrian Booth). She will turn 100 in May, but her memories of working with Andy on ANDY CLYDE GETS SPRING CHICKEN were vivid and detailed.

JN

William D. Ferry

Re: Andy Clyde Book Update

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 4:57 pm

OK, Jim, this goes on the list for a spot on my shelf by your other volumes! :D
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

Ray Faiola

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 am

Jim - at our first 2017 Matinees at Shadowland screening, I ran MISTER SMARTY as one of the shorts with SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT. The crowd LOVED the Andy Clyde short. It got a great response. One of the newspapers who plugged the series even did a couple of lines on Andy.

Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

JLNeibaur

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 am

Ray Faiola wrote:Jim - at our first 2017 Matinees at Shadowland screening, I ran MISTER SMARTY as one of the shorts with SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT. The crowd LOVED the Andy Clyde short. It got a great response. One of the newspapers who plugged the series even did a couple of lines on Andy.

That is great Ray. I wrote a book on Cagney in the 30s a few years ago, so I would have really dug this program. Mister Smarty is a funny one, and am glad it went over so well with your audience

JN

Ray Faiola

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Speaking of SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT, when Philip Ahn started talking to Cagney in his very pigeon English ("Yes sir please") the audience really groaned at the awful stereotype. Then when Cagney bemoaned Ahn's limited conversation and Ahn replied without a hint of dialect "Would you rather I spoke ordinary English?" the crowd roared with laughter. I have no doubt Cagney's impatience with Hollywood stereotyping got that bit into the script and it remains prescient even today.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Return to Talking About Talkies