Where do you check for reviews (old and/or new)?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Spiny Norman

Where do you check for reviews (old and/or new)?

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 5:04 am

Suppose you need to have a short description about a film and you want to say, "and the critics (loved/hated) it", where do you go? There's the late Roger Ebert, but I'm interested to hear what other places you consider good authorities.
This is nøt å signåture.™

maliejandra

Re: Where do you check for reviews (old and/or new)?

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 am

I follow Leonard Maltin. My husband is a big fan of Rotten Tomatoes.

wich2

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Ludi

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 7:36 pm

I've found some reviews on The Spectator archive http://archive.spectator.co.uk/

and magazines archived at the Margaret Herrick Library Digital Collections http://digitalcollections.oscars.org/
ernestthesiger.org

Donald Binks

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't read reviews of films before I see them generally. I tend to just find out briefly what the film is all about, who's in it and who has directed it. Quite often I won't bother with a film because the subject matter is not appealing.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Donald Binks wrote:I don't read reviews of films before I see them generally. I tend to just find out briefly what the film is all about, who's in it and who has directed it. Quite often I won't bother with a film because the subject matter is not appealing.

My sentiments entirely, and that applies to the older ones (though when it was made is another factor) as well. Very few recent ones on my 'to watch' list. Think one of the last I watched was the tiresome BELLE a few years back - the one about a black woman brought up by English aristocrats after her father dies.

Spiny Norman

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:I don't read reviews of films before I see them generally. I tend to just find out briefly what the film is all about, who's in it and who has directed it. Quite often I won't bother with a film because the subject matter is not appealing.

My sentiments entirely, and that applies to the older ones (though when it was made is another factor) as well. Very few recent ones on my 'to watch' list. Think one of the last I watched was the tiresome BELLE a few years back - the one about a black woman brought up by English aristocrats after her father dies.
That's all very well, but at the moment I just want to find out what "the critics" made of a certain film. I have no problems making up my own mind, but this is so that I can then legitimately state that "most critics hated/loved it".
This is nøt å signåture.™

Donald Binks

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Spiny Norman wrote: I just want to find out what "the critics" made of a certain film. I have no problems making up my own mind, but this is so that I can then legitimately state that "most critics hated/loved it".

And the purpose of the exercise being? I just think it is a matter of opinion and as everyone's opinion is different, it is a rather useless exercise trying to match someone's opinion of a film with one's own. I used to find that with one reviewer - if she said she liked a film, I would not see it as anything she liked I would hate.

Quite frankly, I don't have time for a lot of the "critics" who are basically waffling on with a whole lot of pseudo-intellectual tripe which in a lot of cases has little or no bearing whatsoever with the film in question. Then again, this is just another opinion. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

boblipton

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 6:54 pm

When I want a review that will tell me if I am likely to enjoy or not enjoy a movie, I check in Nitrateville. Despite the variety of opinions, the basic ideas of what makes a good movie is common to us all.

I'm surprised no one else has said so.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Donald Binks

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 7:46 pm

boblipton wrote:When I want a review that will tell me if I am likely to enjoy or not enjoy a movie, I check in Nitrateville. Despite the variety of opinions, the basic ideas of what makes a good movie is common to us all.

I'm surprised no one else has said so.

Bob

So, YOU'RE the one who reads what I write! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

Brooksie

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:Suppose you need to have a short description about a film and you want to say, "and the critics (loved/hated) it", where do you go? There's the late Roger Ebert, but I'm interested to hear what other places you consider good authorities.

Metacritic is a good aggregator of online reviews. It works similarly to Rotten Tomatoes, but is more fine-grained, as it takes into account additional factors such as the prestige of the critic. You'll find it more useful for recent films than for anything pre-1950.

Return to Talking About Talkies