"Can of worms" question

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

BGM

"Can of worms" question

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 10:35 am

I know I may be opening up a new can of worms by asking this question... but is there any news on the status of the stash of 2 color nitrate snippets or features that were found about 4 years ago? Is Under a Texas Moon-1930 in the pipeline for release any time soon? After the success of the restoration of King of Jazz I am hoping that things that were in the works are going to be released. Guess the winter doldrums may be getting the best of me and I was just curious.......

aldiboronti

Re: "Can of worms" question

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm

No answer but I have the winter doldrums too, in my case for Show Girl, 1928, found in a Milan archive in 2015 with Warners Home Video promising a 2016 release. I know it's played at a US film festival with the lost soundtrack provided by Vitaphone recording but I can't wait to see this one on DVD. Anyone know if it's still in the works?

vitaphone

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 3:43 pm

SHOW GIRL still needs to have the various inserts that were in Italian --- things like notes, headlines, business cards, etc --- re-done back into English. Because I assisted WB in getting the Vitaphone disks, they allowed me to screen the film at Film Forum last fall. It will likely be late this year before WB can do the necessary work which will permit additional screenings and a DVD.

Jack Theakston

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 pm

UNDER A TEXAS MOON is embroiled with some rights issues, I was told, so unless those get straightened out, I doubt there will be a home video release soon.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

vitaphone

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 5:54 am

Correct Jack. There are several features of the period similarly prevented from home video release due to rights issues. FOLLOW THRU is another example. The rights owners are adamant in giving permission without prohibitively exhorbitant payment. Theatrical screening rights are not affected in that case, just DVD release.

aldiboronti

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you for that info, vitaphone, and for your work in helping this and other classics back on to the silver screen. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:59 am

I'm still waiting for the two-strip MYSTERIOUS ISLAND to get restored and released. A guilty pleasure fueled by extensive coverage of it in Famous Monsters when I was a kid, but I'd still like to see it.

Return to Talking About Talkies