The Oscars 2017

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Donald Binks

The Oscars 2017

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Don't you just love it when a show that has been getting more and more mediocre as the years go by, suddenly outdoes itself by having the greatest stuff-up ever when Warren Beatty announced the name of the wrong picture as the best of the year!

Here are just a few of my observations I recorded as I watched the spectacle which just marginally beats watching paint dry in exhilaration.

Some busker (street performer) wandered into the theatre accompanied by some homeless people. He made a noise on stage while the homeless people shuffled about. (I later learned that this was Justin Timberlake. I had heard the name but never seen him. I had not been missing much).

Bob Hope used to be the M.C. back in the good old days. He did a few jokes and was usually quite funny. This year they decided to opt for an obscure guest speaker from an undertakers' convention. (Who was this drip? Has he been in any pictures?)

I saw a clip of a new Jeff Bridges picture. He has obviously had to get a new set of teeth. Unfortunately he can now only talk incoherently. Still, he is in good company.

I had only seen two of the pictures in the supporting actor category, so I had no idea who the winner was. I had never seen him before. Come to think of it, I had never seen most of the people there before.

I thought the dress for the occasion was semi-formal, which meant men would wear black tie and dinner jackets - however they seemed to have let a few in who had bough their outfits from an Op-Shop.

Please Academy - bring in a new rule. - Thank-yous to be limited to two only. One for the Academy itself and one for their peers as a whole.

Why was the orchestra hidden away under the stage? Crikey - it is so rare to see an orchestra these days - if you have one, flaunt it. Of course I would have had it rising up out of the pit at the beginning to play a suitable overture - but I am frightfully old-fashioned, even though I am sure there are lots who would agree with me. :D

A lot in the audience had the distinct look on their faces which signified they would rather be somewhere else.

Isn't it rude for a man to wear a hat indoors?

I like the way they "locked away" the oldies who had won awards in one of the ashtrays.

The short extract from Hattie McDaniel's 1939 acceptance speech should have been shown in full so that everyone could see how to make a speech properly - although the girl who got the best supporting actress award did well - she could nearly have earned an award for her speech - even though about ten minutes could have been cut out of it.

One again politics came into it. Even though one may agree with some of the statements - there is, after all, a time and place for all that.

I wish Sting would get stung.

Is Production Design the new name for Art Director? (It's hard to keep up with the changes of names in everything).

Those tour bus folks must have got the biggest surprise of the lives when they walked into the theatre and saw all the "stars" in front of them. I bet they will remember that for the rest of their lives. I think this incident should be made a regular feature every year.

The 2 songs from "La La Land" weren't too bad. Usually I think what passes for music today rather lamentable, but I might have a look at "La La Land" now.

An old woman came on stage and said she was Shirley Maclaine.

Could we re-name the Oscars - The Meryl Streep night?

Was there some in-joke concerning Matt Damon that we were not let into?

"The Lobster" up for an award? I just don;t believe it! This would be high on my list of worst pictures ever.

And finally, no, it won't always be alright on the night!

I wonder what they'll do next year?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

greta de groat

Re: The Oscars 2017

PostSun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm

I'd been complaining all day about how much more fun the Oscars used to be before they became such a slick, well oiled machine with everyone dressing beautifully and behaving themselves and not talking too much and actually finishing on schedule. Naming the wrong winner isn't exactly the thing i would have chosen to liven things up, but at least something unexpected happened.

And i don't know what the Matt Damon teasing was all about either. I assume there must of been some sort of joke that other folks must have know about, because not knowing about it made it just look mean.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Zool

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 am

Wonder if Trump will tweet: "Congratulations to the Academy. They did a fine job embarrassing themselves. Sad!"

:mrgreen:
http://www.georgeobrien.net

You probably thought or even wished that I was dead

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 am

Jimmy Kimmel and Matt Damon feuding has been a running joke on Kimmel's show for years. Honestly, as modern comics/TV hosts go, I thought Kimmel did quite well, barbed but likable.

The following is NOT safe for work, even though it's bleeped:

https://youtu.be/eSfoF6MhgLA?t=1m10s
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

maliejandra

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 7:17 am

If you don't know who Jimmy Kimmel or Justin Timberlake are, you've been living under a rock for the last 20+ years.

The Matt Damon jokes were great. I believe he's a mediocre actor who is well connected and pleasant enough. I love that he can take a joke.

The acceptance speeches are sometimes the main reason to tune in. I think they are often too short. It seems rude to give the people (often teams) who win best editing or best costumes less time than the best actor/actress winner.

I agree that some of the politics were heavy-handed. Kimmel's comments were subtle and used in a comical way but some of the acceptance speeches became too overblown. This is why the right hates Hollywood.

The tour bus thing was AWESOME! It was cool seeing real people in a room full of stars, especially the guy who said Denzel was his favorite. He was pretty over-the-top, unlike the graying guy near the back of the pack who seemed unamused by the whole thing.

I missed the ending and will watch it tonight. I've got an infant and a job so I can't stay up that late to watch it all.

R Michael Pyle

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 am

Warren, you're still so vain you think the whole thing is about you. In fact, last night you personally made the Oscar and the industry an embarrassment. Carly, you were not only correct, but we have to suspect dementia was setting in as early as 1972.

And the fact that one of the people in the memorial section is still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What Caca is running the show now. I think its nickname is White Horse. The picture and the person who IS dead were different? Almost an impossible happening; but then, the ending we saw happened...

This year's Oscar night was not a debacle, it was not Shakespearean tragedy, it was fallen grace.

drednm

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:27 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Warren, you're still so vain you think the whole thing is about you. In fact, last night you personally made the Oscar and the industry an embarrassment. Carly, you were not only correct, but we have to suspect dementia was setting in as early as 1972.

And the fact that one of the people in the memorial section is still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What Caca is running the show now. I think its nickname is White Horse. The picture and the person who IS dead were different? Almost an impossible happening; but then, the ending we saw happened...

This year's Oscar night was not a debacle, it was not Shakespearean tragedy, it was fallen grace.

Actually Beatty seems to have been handed the wrong envelope (duh) and Faye Dunaway read the title.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

missdupont

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, Warren Beatty didn't make the mistake, it was Price Waterhouse. The two executives from the company are the only two that know the results before the show and each have a card for each category in case someone announces the wrong name. They obviously didn't number the cards, because the one shown said the category was Best Actress and the winner was Emma Stone.

PW makes cards with the names of each category's nominees, and then the two executives shred the non-winners before putting them in the envelope. Somehow they handed out the wrong envelope. It wasn't Beatty's fault, and it was Dunaway who announced the winner.

wich2

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 am

My goodness, Sir Donald - must we all get off of your lawn now?

odinthor

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

I watched Private Lives (1931) instead. Good movie.

Watching a movie is probably the best way to honor Hollywood...
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

drednm wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:

Actually Beatty seems to have been handed the wrong envelope (duh) and Faye Dunaway read the title.

I still don't understand, realizing something was wrong, why he didn't call one of the Price-Waterhouse folks out on stage to clarify the situation before he announced a winner.

I mean, the PW folks were *literally* standing in the wings in case of such an emergency.

And handing the card to Faye to read was akin to throwing her under the bus.

Zool

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

Obviously Warren showed it to Faye hoping she'd look at it and say, "Oh dear... Help!" Instead, she looked at the card, saw "La La Land" and blurted it out. That's what happens when the brain is set to read something it is expecting to read.

NOT THEIR FAULT!

As Emma Stone said, she had her card with her as she sat in her seat. Thereby eliminating the possibility that Warren was given a previously used envelope/card. Nope. Only answer is that it was stuffed with the wrong card. Period. That was the fault of Price.
http://www.georgeobrien.net

You probably thought or even wished that I was dead

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Apparently there are two envelopes for each one, the second one opened backstage to verify what's read on stage.

There are screen blowups where you can clearly see that Beatty is holding one labeled "Best Actress in a Leading Role." They handed him the completely wrong envelope.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 12:58 pm

maliejandra wrote:If you don't know who Jimmy Kimmel or Justin Timberlake are, you've been living under a rock for the last 20+ years. .

Yes, and it's very comfortable too! :D We can't all know everybody.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

All Darc

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:33 pm

You are all wrong !!!

The one to blame for this incident is Walter Huston.

Keep thinking...

The Blackbird

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 7:34 pm

The last time I remember tuning into the Oscars I was greeted by the sight of host Doogie Howser swingin' his junk around in a banana hammock (and they say Hollywood no longer has any class), while last year Will Smith's wife called for a boycott because her overrated egomaniac of a husband didn't get nominated.... I mean, because the Oscars are racist. This year watching meant the very real possibility of seeing a psychotic, girlfriend-beating Nazi get a standing ovation as he won for Best Director. Even seeing Ms. Aniston in that dress wasn't worth risking that, so I didn't dare tune in. Fortunately, the Oscars have clearly been a joke since they gave the statue to Mary Pickford over Bessie Love in 1929, At least over at the Grammys they're still smiling and handing awards to Mr. Chris Brown so there's still some dignity out there.

Wouldn't it have been funny, though, if at the very end Mr. Beatty and Ms. Dunaway were mowed down by a barrage of machine-gun squibs?

Rick Lanham

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Meanwhile, a story from last June:

"2016 Is on Track to Be Hollywood’s Worst Year for Ticket Sales in a Century"

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... cket-sales

…which is the trend. It's very bad unless Hollywood chooses some new paths.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Robert W

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Binks lives in Australia, which explains why he has no idea who Jimmy Kimmel is, since Kimmel is an American talk show host with no international presence whatsoever.
He tapes his show directly across the street from the Dolby theatre, as a matter of fact.

Donald Binks

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:57 pm

Robert W wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Binks lives in Australia, which explains why he has no idea who Jimmy Kimmel is, since Kimmel is an American talk show host with no international presence whatsoever.
He tapes his show directly across the street from the Dolby theatre, as a matter of fact.

You are not mistaken, and thank you sticking up for me, setting those Americans straight in that we don't all know who everyone is over there! We in the Commonwealth have to stick together! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 6:58 am

Donald Binks wrote:
Robert W wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Binks lives in Australia, which explains why he has no idea who Jimmy Kimmel is, since Kimmel is an American talk show host with no international presence whatsoever.

You are not mistaken, and thank you sticking up for me, setting those Americans straight in that we don't all know who everyone is over there! We in the Commonwealth have to stick together! :D

I was going to say that even though I do know who Jimmy Kimmel is, not knowing may be preferable.

Besides, everyone should know that the funniest man in the world right now is Paul F. Tompkins, but how many people here are aware of his existence?

(Seriously, give Thrilling Adventure Hour a listen, it's a modern day version of old-time radio, with Tompkins in a supernatural Nick & Nora Charles homage called Beyond Belief. I love it!)
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

odinthor

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:

I was going to say that even though I do know who Jimmy Kimmel is, not knowing may be preferable.

Besides, everyone should know that the funniest man in the world right now is Paul F. Tompkins, but how many people here are aware of his existence?

(Seriously, give Thrilling Adventure Hour a listen, it's a modern day version of old-time radio, with Tompkins in a supernatural Nick & Nora Charles homage called Beyond Belief. I love it!)

Heck, I live 40 minutes down the freeway from Hollywood, frequently spend the better part of a week lounging around the hotel right across the street from the Dolby theater and I guess the studio where J.K. tapes his show; and if anyone asked me who Jimmy Kimmel is, the only yield would be a blank stare and the game guess, "Uh, he's . . . a celeb, right?"
_____
"She confessed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." —Marcel Proust (Cities of the Plain).

wich2

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:43 pm

After all the huffery and puffery - both Pro and Con - it's good to recall that the Oscar has always been an in-house, let's_pat_each_others'_backs P.R. gimmick!

(When S.A.G. co-founder Billy Pratt was offered a Life Achievement statue, he basically told them to shove it, because the Academy had been born largely as an attempt to prevent a Union.)

Robert W

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Kimmel tapes his show directly beside the El Capitan Theatre, home to the most beautiful marquee in North America IMO.
You should see it at night, Nitratevillians.

The red banners should be a huge clue. :wink:

Brooksie

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Robert W wrote:Kimmel tapes his show directly beside the El Capitan Theatre, home to the most beautiful marquee in North America IMO.
You should see it at night, Nitratevillians.

And quite the interior, too:

I was very glad to be able to take my niece to a show here, complete with pre-show stage prologue and Wurlitzer performance beforehand.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 7:52 pm

When my boys were little, we saw Cars there, with a stage show of... a precision pit crew changing shiny chrome tires on a race car.

Needless to say it was the greatest movie they ever saw—at that age.

Donald Binks

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Well if I didn't know Mr. Kimmel, I do know the "El Capitan" cinema - having been there back in 2003 to see "Pirates of the Caribbean". It is so wonderful to know that there are still some cinemas in this world who know how to show pictures correctly with the right atmosphere. The "opening of the curtains" is a wonderful show in itself - and the Wurlitzer organ - bliss! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

Robert W

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Continuing my Fitzpatrick tour of Hollywood Boulevard ( for those who have never had a chance to get there ) the Roosevelt Hotel (home of the first Oscar ceremony) is but a half block down from the Jimmy Kimmel studio.

Across the street from the Roosevelt is the legendary Chinese Theatre, renovated a few years ago to stadium seating with the interior restored.

And a very short walk off Hollywood Boulevard from the Dolby Theatre is a very important Golden Age studio that is now owned by Jim Henson Productions ( who have respected the memory of the original founder).

Donald Binks

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Robert W wrote:Continuing my Fitzpatrick tour of Hollywood Boulevard ( for those who have never had a chance to get there ) the Roosevelt Hotel (home of the first Oscar ceremony) is but a half block down from the Jimmy Kimmel studio.
]

Yup, have stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel when in Hollywood....
Regards from
Donald Binks

ColemanShedman

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 am

Not that anyone could have known but the most featured guy from the tour bus, Gary from Chicago, was recently released from prison after serving 20 years for multiple felonies including attempted rape. Unfortunate.

wich2

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Robert W wrote:
And a very short walk off Hollywood Boulevard from the Dolby Theatre is a very important Golden Age studio that is now owned by Jim Henson Productions ( who have respected the memory of the original founder).

Once home to another storied production:

Next

Return to Talking About Talkies