THE LITTLE RASCALS

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

salus

THE LITTLE RASCALS

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Is it true that Bill Cosby owns the Little Rascals and Amos n Andy and refuses to let them be shown?

Albert71292

Re: THE LITTLE RASCALS

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 6:43 pm

No. King World Productions owns "The Little Rascals" and CBS owns "Amos 'n Andy".

Lamar

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 am

Has "Little Rascals" ever been out of circulation? It still airs here in Chicago on one of the local or sub channels. Despite CBS withdrawing it years ago "Amos and Andy" returned to TV in 2012 when the Rejoice channel aired it. http://abc13.com/archive/8883178/

William D. Ferry

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Lamar wrote:Has "Little Rascals" ever been out of circulation? It still airs here in Chicago on one of the local or sub channels. Despite CBS withdrawing it years ago "Amos and Andy" returned to TV in 2012 when the Rejoice channel aired it. http://abc13.com/archive/8883178/

I'm from New Jersey, and the last time I saw them in the NY Metro market was on WNYW Channel 5 in the early 80's. They were a mainstay of early morning or early afternoon kids' programming throughout my entire childhood (going back to the early 60's).

With the exception of perhaps The Three Stooges, most of the comedy shorts and even cartoons that had such an impact on Baby Boomers are rarely programmed today. Ironically, they are most readily available in numerous DVD collections, which make them easy for us to obtain, but conversely reduce their visibility among later generations. For instance, if you're my age or somewhat younger, I can make a pop culture reference to a Warners cartoon, and you'd get the joke, but today's kids don't have that same frame of reference, and can't relate to it.
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

FilmGauge

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm

CBS bought King World Productions, and is now the distributor of THE LITTLE RASCALS. AMOS & ANDY is not available from CBS at all; I suspect that the episodes shown are the public domain ones.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:08 pm

I've seen multi-dvd sets of Amos n Andy on eBay over the years. Most are transferred from the very common 16mm dupes and syndication prints in the late 1970s originally on tape.

maliejandra

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 am

I don't recall these films ever being shown on TV in my lifetime (30 years). I discovered them through the Cabin Fever tapes which I'd check out regularly from the library. I remember seeing them for sale in Kmart stores too, especially around the time that the 90s movie came out.

Return to Talking About Talkies