More on Andy Clyde project - lost films

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JLNeibaur

More on Andy Clyde project - lost films

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 pm

I have about five or six weeks left on the Andy Clyde project and then plan to go into one on the Thelma Todd - Zasu Pitts - Patsy Kelly shorts for Roach.

Of the nearly 80 Columbia two-reelers Andy Clyde starred in, there are around 19 that are elusive. There are sound and picture negatives at the LoC or in the SONY vaults but no screening prints. Sadly, a handful of films have no elements at all in either place. They include NOT GUILTY ENOUGH, NOW IT CAN BE SOLD, BLONDE ATOM BOMB, and LOVE'S A POPPIN. The latter two were made after the safety film era, so it is a bit curious that nothing on these two titles exists in either library.

A few years ago when SONY released a massive Three Stooges set, they included discs that featured all of the solo Columbia films made by Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita. NOT GUILTY ENOUGH is the first of four movies in which Shemp co-starred with Clyde, and now we realize why that was missing from the set. No materials on that title exist. I gathered a lot of info about it, and photos, and will discuss its elusiveness in the chapter.

It's a hell of a long shot, but any collectors or archivists who might have access to materials on any of the aforementioned films, let me know. Thanks.

JN

moviepas

Re: More on Andy Clyde project - lost films

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 3:33 am

Interesting but not surprising. Columbia has had some trouble with elements around 1940 that I know of and that seemed to be sound elements for a serial or two and actors have dubbed the missing dialog which I am not keen on as it generally sounds awful.

Take the laserdisc of More the Merrier with Charles Coborn and Jean Arthur. This is a fun film and very enjoyable. The picture quality is dirty and the sound has noisy background noise. The DVD corrected this. And generally Columbia DVDs in modern DVD-R days have been great and Blu Rays exceptional. So to the shorts:

Columbia package loads of them for TV with the Screen Gems logo being their TV name but they had used this name in earlier times. The Three Stooges came out in a package on 16mm and were shown on the Nine Network weekdays here in Australia(Melbourne for me). What they did there was show one 17mins title and then added a second title in the block to make 30mins less a couple of ad breaks which were shorter in most countries way back then with less advertisers getting into the act. A boy from my school class in high school(local Catholic College) brought some clips to school in 16mm in a standard match box. He Dad worked at thr station and Barry had his wish and became a TV cameraman firstly filming accidents and other events before video came in(I saw him at a local accident soon after he started in the job). The other shorts were packaged under the generic name of Hilarious Hundreds. I am not sure I saw any cut to show two in the one 30mins slot. Ann Doran pops up all over the place and I became familiar with Andy Clyde in these films, possibly before I saw him as Walter Brennan;s pal in The Real McCoys.

Whilst the safety film era filmed titles being missing is a mystery, have you located a catalog listing of those packages which must date to the late 1950s and see if the missing titles are there? The archivess, if there is such a thing, of Broadcast Information Bureau(BIB) might reveal titles. I have to say the TV series only mentioned series available to hire for your station and where to get them and in what format, 35mm, 16mm, video and isted many one off specials. If a series was not available it was not listed. The film catalogs were similar except they listed everything and told you the state of the print and why it was unavailable such as MGM's Good News(1930) which states negative deteriorated and so on. There were many British films listed only available to hire by Canadian TV stations and many of those never played Australian TV in those days either(many did though, the list is long) and I must have a lot of those surviving titles on DVD over the last few years from UK. Anything is worth a look. If they were loaned to stations it is possible sicky fingers took prints that did not go back for lots of material. A mob called Gaines16 in LA recycled TV prints, often with all the ads still in them like the Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet and I bought some in the 1970s from this business.

I was under the impression that one title, at least. of the Columbia Three Stooges was not on the the DVDs but I have not checked it out. I have all the volumes and the complete set which was offered around $50 so I had to have it. I was under the impression that a Blu Ray presentation was being considered. That the DVDs are so good is a miracle considering how many prints would have been needed over the years and some labs were none to careful with negatives.

A missing MGM 2-color Three Stooges short was found in Australia as was a color MGM short from the late 1930s involving Charlie Chase. The print material had been preserved but the MGM collection did not have the soundtrack elements. The 1930 Tiffany 2-strip color Mamba feature was also found in Australia.

I was told by a former International Pilot for Qantas here that he went to the Columbia Sunset Blvd studios at the time they were readying to move to the old MGM Culver City site(where I had visited back in 1972 on an appointment to meet a couple of the still living MGM background, JJ Cohn & Buddy Gillespie, who had been at MGM from 1924) and found loads of stuff being dumped in dumpers or skips in the street outside the buildings. He was looking for Jolson material from the film which was his interest.

Good lick and be sure to add any news of what you might find on Nirateville as time goes on.

JLNeibaur

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 pm

The Andy Clyde films that were lost were never part of the broadcast package of films that were released to television. I have gathered information on all of the elusive titles for discussion in the book, and while there are a lot of interesting details, the inability to actually screen the films themselves is a limitation we have to deal with.

Thanks

JN

moviepas

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:07 am

We can only hope someone has something but if they never went to TV....that almost closes it.

Ozzieharrietfan

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 1:20 pm

What Ozzie and Harriet episodes did you buy in the 70's. There are only 73 I don't have, and wondered if you still might have them. Thanks!

Return to Talking About Talkies