New Podcast -- Noir Talk

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

mwalls

New Podcast -- Noir Talk

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am

A new podcast just started that is run by the Film Noir Foundation called 'Noir Talk" available on iTunes. The first episode available now features guest Eddie Muller (the "Czar of Noir"). New episodes should come along once a month.

Matthew

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: New Podcast -- Noir Talk

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 am

So on that subject-- what podcasts are there that deal with old movies?

Most, obviously, are about new releases, some occasionally have segments that look back like Filmspotting, and people like Frank Thompson have interviewed folks relating to that era, but are there any that focus specifically on classic era films that anyone likes?
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

mwalls

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Mike,

I would appreciate some suggestions as well. My commute is about forty minutes. Often I will listen to some OTR (Our Miss Brooks, Fibber, or Jack Benny), but some podcasts on old film subjects would be fun. Certainly the Noir podcast was fun to listen to, and nicely filled the drive time.

Matthew

FilmGauge

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 am

On the subject of podcasts on old movies, there's is a Laurel and Hardy podcast. So far, there has only been one installment, and it is available at the following link:
https://laurelandhardypodcast.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
Last edited by FilmGauge on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

linquist

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 11:06 am

I listen to history podcast that I load up through iTunes. The Noir podcast was there but I didn't listen to it yet. (Can't find it now.)
Any way, I did a little digging on old film podcasts and came up with three. There was a list of 19 of them on Mental Floss but most of them are now defunct. I did find:
http://www.attaboyclarence.com" target="_blank
He has a radioish London accent and seems to cover a number of topics including pop culture, broadcasting and movies

http://www.douglovesmovies.com" target="_blank
This was like a lot of radio shows now, a rambling narrator and a live audience. They knew about his show and responded to his jibing. Supposedly he talks about films (probably current ones) but it was talking too long to get to the substance of the podcast, so I quit.

Empire podcast interviews currents film people. (www.empireonline.com)

http://www.youmustrememberthis.com" target="_blank
This may have been the best of the four I sampled. Narration on stories about Hollywood from the last century. Its last podcast, from early March, was about Marilyn Monroe. I couldn't find their episode list on their website but it is available through iTunes.

mwalls

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I came across a podcast called Silent London. I downloaded a couple of episodes and had a chance to listen to one today on my way home from work. Enjoyable.

Matthew

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Yeah, I saw Silent London but then I looked at how often it came out... it may set a record for variable periods between episodes.

Another one is the Criterion Cast, which is decent although I sometimes feel I know more about the films than they do. But I've listened to a couple after watching them.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

maliejandra

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 am

I listen to Maltin on Movies. It isn't always about classic movies but they occasionally talk about them or have an episode themed toward classics.

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am

linquist wrote:You Must Remember This
This may have been the best of the four I sampled. Narration on stories about Hollywood from the last century. Its last podcast, from early March, was about Marilyn Monroe. I couldn't find their episode list on their website but it is available through iTunes.

I second this one, the host Karina Longworth does her research, using multiple sources, and avoids perpetuating urban myths wherever possible (she might mention something out of Hollywood Babylon, but generally only to debunk misinformation and misconceptions that people have come to take as fact over the years). She did a lengthy series on the Hollywood Blacklist that covered a lot of ground, and also a series on the connection between Charles Manson and showbiz, and Los Angeles in general.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Silent London

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Yeah, I saw Silent London but then I looked at how often it came out... it may set a record for variable periods between episodes.

Ha. It's a fair cop – I can't argue with that at all. Fresh start, clean slate and all that, though – we are planning to be more reliable in future!

Return to Talking About Talkies