Son of Universal: More Rediscovered Gems at MoMA

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

MDJimenez

Son of Universal: More Rediscovered Gems at MoMA

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:34 pm

I just read this announcement and was wondering if anyone knew what other rarities were going to be shown:

Son of Universal: More Rediscovered Gems from the Laemmle Years
May 5–16, 2017

Following last summer’s monthlong series Universal Pictures: Restorations and Rediscoveries, MoMA presents another selection of extremely rare films produced during the risk-taking reign of studio head Carl Laemmle, Jr. Work to be screened includes Tod Browning’s ferocious 1930 gangster film Outside the Law, starring a pre–Little Cesar Edward G. Robinson; Tay Garnett’s stylistically audacious allegory Destination Unknown (1931); E. A. Dupont’s risqué Broadway romp Ladies Must Love (1933), and two programs of long-unseen, newly restored musical and comedy shorts, assembled by guest curator Ron Hutchinson of the Vitaphone Project.

Wm. Charles Morrow

Re: Son of Universal: More Rediscovered Gems at MoMA

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 am

MDJimenez wrote:I just read this announcement and was wondering if anyone knew what other rarities were going to be shown.

I'm on the MoMA mailing list, but they haven't yet announced a full schedule -- only the teaser you've quoted here. As soon as they send out the full list I'll post it, unless someone beats me to the punch.
-- Charlie Morrow

vitaphone

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 am

I'll wait til MOMA issues the full schedule officially, but I will be presenting four programs of long unseen 1930-36 Universal shorts, none of which have been shown since their initial release. Unlike shorts from other studios, Universals shorts (except for a few show at home 1929-30 titles) were ever issued to television or the home market. Universal has struck new prints for my programs. Stay tuned!

brendangcarroll

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 pm

My mouth is watering, my gast is flabbered! I sincerely hope these rare films make it onto DVD for those of overseas who cannot attend MOMA. Please?
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

boblipton

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:30 pm

brendangcarroll wrote:My mouth is watering, my gast is flabbered! I sincerely hope these rare films make it onto DVD for those of overseas who cannot attend MOMA. Please?

It would be nice, I agree, but don't count on it. After the last Universal show, I got an email from someone who had read my review on the IMDb and was pining for The Cohens and the Kellys in Hollywood of all things.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Marr&Colton

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

One Universal series (or a few shorts?) I'd like to see restored to DVD is ED SULLIVAN'S HEADLINERS.

Years ago I had a 35mm Realart reissue of the 1934 two-reeler and it was totally delightful: crooner Sid Garry sang,
George Givot did his dialectic humor and my other favorite man/wife comedy team,
Block & Sully ("...look at him!...") featured into the storyline. Of course, Ed Sullivan looked 30 years old then.....

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Okay, MoMA has just announced the official schedule. I've done a quick copy-and-paste of the titles, but without the dates and times. (All that can be found online for anyone in the NYC area who might be able to attend.) Here are the titles:

Young Desire. 1930. Directed by Lewis D. Collins.

Outside the Law. 1930. Directed by Tod Browning, starring Edward G. Robinson.

Universal Shorts, Program One:

Introduced by Ron Hutchinson, Founder, the Vitaphone Project.

I Know Everybody and Everybody’s Racket. 1933. USA. Directed by Monte Brice. With Walter Winchell, Ruth Etting, Paul Whiteman.
School for Swing. 1936. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With Sylvia Froos, Bert Gordon.
Rolling Along. 1930. USA. Directed by Albert Ray. With Charlie Murray, George Sidney.
Television Highlights. 1936. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With Henny Youngman.
Hunting Trouble. 1933. USA. Directed by James W. Horne. With Shaw and Lee, Louise Fazenda.
The Big Benefit. 1933. USA. Directed by Lynn Shores. With Bill Robinson, Mayer and Evans.

Sensation Seekers. 1927. Written and directed by Lois Weber, from a story by Ernest Pascal.

Universal Shorts, Program Two:

Flippen’s Frolics
. 1936. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With J. C. Flippen, Baby Rose Marie.
Your Technocracy and Mine. 1933. USA. Screenplay by Robert Benchley. With Benchley.
Hollywood Trouble. 1935. USA. Directed by Jack Townley. With The Thalians.
Ed Sullivan’s Headliners. 1934. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With Ed Sullivan, Ben Pollack, Block and Sully.
Good Time Henry. 1934. USA. Directed by James W. Horne. With Henry Armetta.

Ladies Must Love. 1933. Directed by E. A. Dupont.

Sea Spoilers. 1936. Directed by Frank R. Strayer.

Million Dollar Ransom. 1934. Directed by Murray Roth.

Don’t Bet on Love. 1933. USA. Directed by Murray Roth.

Destination Unknown. 1932. Directed by Tay Garnett.

Chinatown Squad. 1935. Directed by Murray Roth.

P.S. Looks like a fantastic lineup! The only one I've seen is the Benchley short. There's lots of intriguing sounding stuff, I'm sure I'll be at a few screenings.
-- Charlie Morrow

Marr&Colton

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 am

What a fantastic lineup! My request for Ed Sullivan's Headliners fulfilled!!
Sorry I'm 600 miles away from NYC......all we can do is hope these titles can be accessed online or even DVD.....

silentfilm

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 11:49 am

Huntley Gordon and Billie Dove

Sensation Seekers is excellent. Don't miss it if you get a chance to see it.

precode

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm

I've seen DESTINATION: UNKNOWN and it's a knockout. No spoilers, but at the midway point there's an enormous twist that later found its way into a bigger and much better-known film. Don't miss it.

Mike S.

FrankFay

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 pm

In 1936 Henny Youngman had only had a wife to take for 8 years
Eric Stott

Cinephile59

PostTue May 02, 2017 10:10 am

For those who live in Europe I have a good news. It looks like the whole strand of Son of Universal is coming to Il Cinema Ritrovato festival in Bologna under the heading Universal Pictures: The Laemmle Junior years (part two), which takes place between 24th June to 2nd July. Mind you I don't know the situation with the shorts. Perhaps the shorts curator who is a member of this website can clarify the situation as far as shorts are concerned.

vitaphone

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:11 am

Not aware of the shorts being included.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat May 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:I Know Everybody and Everybody’s Racket. 1933. USA. Directed by Monte Brice. With Walter Winchell, Ruth Etting, Paul Whiteman.
School for Swing. 1936. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With Sylvia Froos, Bert Gordon.
Rolling Along. 1930. USA. Directed by Albert Ray. With Charlie Murray, George Sidney.
Television Highlights. 1936. USA. Directed by Milton Schwarzwald. With Henny Youngman.
Hunting Trouble. 1933. USA. Directed by James W. Horne. With Shaw and Lee, Louise Fazenda.
The Big Benefit. 1933. USA. Directed by Lynn Shores. With Bill Robinson, Mayer and Evans.

Sensation Seekers. 1927. Written and directed by Lois Weber, from a story by Ernest Pascal.

This afternoon I went to MoMA for the first batch of shorts, and came back later for the feature. Lots of fun stuff in the afternoon program. I especially enjoyed the musical interludes. There was a ballroom dance couple in School for Swing I'd never seen before, very Fred-and-Ginger like, and they were terrific, and the specialty numbers introduced by a svelte young Henny Youngman (billed as "Henry") in his film debut were all quite enjoyable. Bill Robinson has a nice number in The Big Benefit, and Mayer & Evans are great -- though they're onscreen all too briefly. For my taste, the comedy shorts were more frantic than funny, but enjoyable in their way. Rolling Along takes place mostly on a bus, and is beautifully filmed on the streets of L.A.; no process shots at all. Hunting Trouble has a great cast, but the material is on the weak side, and the cast tries to compensate with lots of shouting and pratfalls. Still, over all the lineup was great fun, and technically speaking the films looked and sounded great.

Sensation Seekers was quite enjoyable too, but discussion of that one properly belongs in Talking About Silents.
-- Charlie Morrow

boblipton

PostSun May 07, 2017 6:59 am

Like Mr. Morrow, I went to yesterday's show. My review of Sensation Seekers is in TALKING ABOUT SILENTS. My reviews of the short subjects are posted on the IMDb. Attendance has been great, and I heard good comments from young people, which said to me that when these movies are presented correctly -- with Vince Giordano and the NIghthawks performing live in a filled theater -- they are still audience pleasers.

By and large, I agree with Charlie's assessments of the films. I got an opportunity to thank Dave Kehr for supporting the showings of these old, obscure films; it never hurts to say thank you. Ron Hutchinson spoke at both shows; of most interest is that a couple of the intros mentioned the help that Bob Birchard offered in the efforts to get these on the screen.

I'll be back at MOMA this afternoon.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

westegg

PostMon May 08, 2017 6:29 am

I was at the Saturday program and was pleased to briefly chat with Ron Hutchinson. I found all six shorts quite good.

:D

Lokke Heiss

PostThu May 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Enjoyed reading this thread - for clarity, will post my review of Sensation Seekers in new thread.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

Return to Talking About Talkies