1979 RKO Reunion

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

busby1959

1979 RKO Reunion

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm

I stumbled across this today on YouTube. I clearly remember the occasion but having never seen this video before I wanted to share it here for all to see.
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Ray Faiola

Re: 1979 RKO Reunion

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Great! I should dig out my VHS tape that Allan Jones gave me of the last Universal Jivin' Jacks & Jills reunion that he went to. Allan was an inveterate videographer. And yes, he sang "Donkey Serenade" on the tape. He also taped Robert Cummings' 80th birthday party.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

busby1959

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 12:47 pm

I bet those tapes would be really interesting to see - what treasures!

Harlowgold

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 3:30 pm

busby1959 wrote:I stumbled across this today on YouTube. I clearly remember the occasion but having never seen this video before I wanted to share it here for all to see.

I have an old newspaper clipping somebody sent me in trade many years ago since Jane Russell and Ginger Rogers are among my favorites; I never knew any film about this event was filmed so many thinks for posting the link.

If only somebody would dig up a copy of the 1980 Tomorrow Show interview with Tom Snyder with a half dozen silent screen leading ladies (for the full show!!) including Laura La Plante, Esther Ralston, and Leatrice Joy. I saw it as a teenager and never forgot it and always wanted to see it again.

Harlowgold

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Ray Faiola wrote:Great! I should dig out my VHS tape that Allan Jones gave me of the last Universal Jivin' Jacks & Jills reunion that he went to. Allan was an inveterate videographer. And yes, he sang "Donkey Serenade" on the tape. He also taped Robert Cummings' 80th birthday party.

Wow, I hope you have preserved those with dvd copies - and might consider putting them on youtube or archive.org or some other website.

busby1959

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
busby1959 wrote:I stumbled across this today on YouTube. I clearly remember the occasion but having never seen this video before I wanted to share it here for all to see.

I have an old newspaper clipping somebody sent me in trade many years ago since Jane Russell and Ginger Rogers are among my favorites; I never knew any film about this event was filmed so many thinks for posting the link.

If only somebody would dig up a copy of the 1980 Tomorrow Show interview with Tom Snyder with a half dozen silent screen leading ladies (for the full show!!) including Laura La Plante, Esther Ralston, and Leatrice Joy. I saw it as a teenager and never forgot it and always wanted to see it again.

Oh, wow....I'd forgotten about that. If anyone out there has a copy of that, it would be wonderful to see it again.

brendangcarroll

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Thank you for posting this fascinating footage. It occurs to me that this event and the RKO donation, probably provided the idea for the 6 part RKO documentary series "The RKO Story" made by BBC TV shortly afterwards and featuring interviews with many of those glimpsed at the reunion - Pan Berman, Fred & Ginger, Fay Wray, Hermes Pan etc.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Return to Talking About Talkies