Il Cinema Ritrovato 2017

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Cinephile59

Il Cinema Ritrovato 2017

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 6:34 am

Good Afternoon Everybody,
I hope you are all enjoying TCMFF and having lots of fun as well. I am on the other hand in a few months time going to Bologna, Italy.
But I need a bit of a help. As it is my first time, can somebody who has been to this festival explain to me how this festival operates? In other words, what is the system? Thank you in advance.

HughMN

Re: Il Cinema Ritrovato 2017

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Hopefully someone who has been to Il Cinema Ritrovato more recently than I will chime in. I've only had the pleasure once, and that was in 2010. In those days they were running 3 screen simultaneously during the day. My understanding is that now they fill up 6 screens!

In 2010 the daytime screens ran from the morning through dinner time, about 5 PM I think. One screen was devoted entirely to silent films, one screen to films of the 30s & 40s, and one screen to films of the 50s & 60's. A pass gets you into all you can fit in. In the evening there is a single screening outdoors in the large plaza on a giant screen. This event is free to anyone who happens to be in town, but the best seats are reserved for festival goers with passes up until 15 minutes before the movie starts.

The year I went, the theater showing silent films often filled up by late morning and became standing room only for the more popular films...so if you left to go see a film in another theater, it was sometimes difficult to get a seat when you returned to that theater. Perhaps the situation is better now that there are more screens.

All in all, it's the most spectacular festival I know of. Enjoy!!
We of the arts are the producers... To stop being producers and become consumers, to drop out of the parade and become bystanders - that can be fatal.
-Mary Pickford, from the manuscript of the Epilogue of "Sunshine and Shadow."

Return to Talking About Talkies