Ruby Keeler NO NO NANETTE

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Danny

Ruby Keeler NO NO NANETTE

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 am

The recent discussion on Ruby Keeler prompted me to find this clip of a scene from the stage production of No, No Nanette in 1971. Ruby was around 61 years old when she came out of a decades long retirement to appear on Broadway. That alone speaks volumes about her as a performer.

Have a look:

Danny
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

brendangcarroll

Re: Ruby Keeler NO NO NANETTE

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 am

Utterly charming! Thanks for sharing this!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

busby1959

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks, Danny. She was just magical in that show, and she gave 100% of herself at every performance.

boblipton

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 pm

My favorite in that show is Jack Gilford, who got to sing "I Want to Be Happy"

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Donald Binks

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Magic! In Oz we had Yvonne deCarlo in the role. There is something about having the big stars come out on stage - they just have a personality that wafts over the footlights and engulfs the audience as soon as they make an appearance. I have seen it happen so many times.

(Pity we can't have yet another revival of "No, No, Nanette" - the modern musicals are not a patch on the ones of old - perhaps also "The Desert Song" can come back?..........wishful thinking!)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

westegg

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 5:48 am

As mentioned in the other post, I saw Keeler and Cyril Ritchard in NANETTE at a theater in the round. And that night none other than Wini Shaw (Golddiggers of 1935) was introduced in the audience! I mainly recall Keeler playing a ukulele, and Ritchard doing his patented giggle. Plus a bunch of bouncy chorines.

On a sidenote I also saw FIDDLER ON THE ROOF there, and managed to snag Zero Mostel's autograph. He was very gracious to a nervous sixteen year old.

busby1959

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Magic! In Oz we had Yvonne deCarlo in the role. There is something about having the big stars come out on stage - they just have a personality that wafts over the footlights and engulfs the audience as soon as they make an appearance. I have seen it happen so many times.

(Pity we can't have yet another revival of "No, No, Nanette" - the modern musicals are not a patch on the ones of old - perhaps also "The Desert Song" can come back?..........wishful thinking!)

Funny you should mention "The Desert Song" - I watched the 1929 version about a month ago and I've been singing the songs ever since (then I watched "Deep In My Heart" which reinforced those lovely melodies in my brain even further). I would love to see a revival and was wondering if today's 'sophisticated' audiences would embrace it as the public did in the 1920s, without its being 'reimagined' with toilet humor and vulgarity?

busby1959

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 12:45 pm

[quote="westegg"]As mentioned in the other post, I saw Keeler and Cyril Ritchard in NANETTE at a theater in the round. And that night none other than Wini Shaw (Golddiggers of 1935) was introduced in the audience! I mainly recall Keeler playing a ukulele, and Ritchard doing his patented giggle. Plus a bunch of bouncy chorines.

On a sidenote I also saw FIDDLER ON THE ROOF there, and managed to snag Zero Mostel's autograph. He was very gracious to a nervous sixteen year old.[/quot

Ruby Keeler AND Wini Shaw both in the same evening? I think I would have died from a stroke (but with a big smile on my face)!

greta de groat

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Magic! In Oz we had Yvonne deCarlo in the role. There is something about having the big stars come out on stage - they just have a personality that wafts over the footlights and engulfs the audience as soon as they make an appearance. I have seen it happen so many times.

I did see a sign advertising a production of No, No, Nanette in San Francisco sometime this year.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Rob

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 9:45 am

Right now there is a production of 42ND STREET running in London's West End with Sheena Easton playing the Dorothy Brock / Ruby Keeler role. Now THAT makes me feel very, very old.

Rob McKay

Return to Talking About Talkies