Betty Grable in "Thill of a Lifetime" 1937

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Betty Grable in "Thill of a Lifetime" 1937

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 4:04 am

A quick question to all of you experts...

Is there a decent print of this rare film musical available on DVD .....anywhere?

Or is it in PD hell?
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

Marr&Colton

Re: Betty Grable in "Thill of a Lifetime" 1937

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 pm

It's a Paramount picture therefore part of the MCA package Universal bought for television. I doubt if it's public domain,
since relatively few Paramount releases of the 30s and 40s went un-renewed.

That said, Universal owns this picture, and outside of gray-market DVDs made from old TV prints, Universal
COULD release it as part of their Vault Collection DVD series---get a bunch of people to contact Universal on their website
suggesting a Grable or Lamour set or double feature......

brendangcarroll

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks! I had better get writing!

I would also like to see some of Dottie Lamour's early films on disc so that's a good pairing.
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

bobfells

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Re Dottie Lamour, I have a great-looking 16mm print of LAST TRAIN FROM MADRID (1937) a non-partisan look at the Spanish Civil War. I liked it a lot and I've never seen it turning up anywhere. Definitely a great candidate for Universal's vault series. Sort of a B-movie GRAND HOTEL, the ensemble cast besides Dottie includes Gilbert Roland, Karen Morley, Lionel Atwill, Helen Mack, and even Evelyn Brent pops up in a small role. The real surprise is Anthony Quinn in an early, perhaps his first, leading role.

Harlowgold

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 pm

bobfells wrote:Re Dottie Lamour, I have a great-looking 16mm print of LAST TRAIN FROM MADRID (1937) a non-partisan look at the Spanish Civil War. I liked it a lot and I've never seen it turning up anywhere. Definitely a great candidate for Universal's vault series. Sort of a B-movie GRAND HOTEL, the ensemble cast besides Dottie includes Gilbert Roland, Karen Morley, Lionel Atwill, Helen Mack, and even Evelyn Brent pops up in a small role. The real surprise is Anthony Quinn in an early, perhaps his first, leading role.

LAST TRAIN is indeed available in Universal's "vault" series. It aired on AMC back in the late 80's in a great print so I'd imagine the dvd's quality is terrific. Other Lamour movies in the vault series are SPAWN OF THE NORTH, THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938, and the allstar cameo romp VARIETY GIRL (each previously released on VHS and aired on AMC), and rarer titles DISPUTED PASSAGE (directed by Frank Borzage, Lamour's lone soaper), the wildly overlooked musical HIGH WIDE AND HANDSOME starring Irene Dunne, and HER JUNGLE LOVE, Lamour's Technicolor debut. I'm very curious how good the color is as in the past fan-circulated copies (presumably from local "afternoon movies" or late shows) were mediocre.

I had hoped Universal would give Lamour a set in the second packages of "Glamour Collection" titles but alas they never released anything in this line beyond the first three sets (West, Dietrich, Lombard).

Harlowgold

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 pm

brendangcarroll wrote:A quick question to all of you experts...

Is there a decent print of this rare film musical available on DVD .....anywhere?

Or is it in PD hell?

It's not pd but given it was an extremely minor B release for Paramount (with the then pretty much unknown Betty Grable as leading lady and newcomer Lamour in a guest cameo apparently only to sing the title song) it appears an unlikely Universal vault title but then bigger obscurities have been released as custom dvds.

Somebody's selling an original lobby (a bit steep at $152) from the movie with Grable on amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-displayed-theaters-advertise-measure/dp/B00R55BQPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492554939&sr=8-2&keywords=%22thrill+of+a+lifetime%22+dvd

drednm

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Film is available in a good print on the gray market. Writer credit for silent star Seena Owen. And Dorothy Lamour is terrific in her guest shot.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Return to Talking About Talkies